Non-Nikon brand batteries

Nothing like some discount lifejackets for the $45,000 ocean fishing boat, or some retread tires for that cross-country drive across the USA with the wife and kids in the car. Save money!

Nothing like some discount lifejackets for the $45,000 ocean fishing boat, or some retread tires for that cross-country drive across the USA with the wife and kids in the car. Save money!

If it makes you feel good, throw away your money any way you please, but reports are (certainly my reports are) that there are some battery brands that deliver great performance for 1/3 the price. Wasabi has been great for me. It is low cost to try them. They are all imports. :)

I have two batteries for my D700 and one is going bad, so I want to replace it with a new one. While my D700 is going strong with no plan to replace it, I am thinking if I should just get a non-Nikon branded battery or spend 3~4x the money on an original one. Any thoughts on off-brand batteries?
Wasabi brand

No question it is safer and more reliable to go with OEM. I purchased an after market Nikon Wannabe battery which was listed as new. I charged it for the required time, the battery life indicator displayed a fully charged battery. It went dead in less than ten minutes. I contacted the seller, and I was sent a replacement since the battery was warrantied for 30 days. The replacement is doing alright as long as I do not use the RTF built in flash unit. I went ahead and purchased an OEM from Nikon and that is serving me well. Now I know that a lot of these after market batteries had been recalled because of the problem of exploding while being charged. So, better safe than sorry. Thanks for reading. Tony

Most reactions

Back