Non-Nikon brand batteries

Discussion in 'Nikon Accessories' started by molested_cow, Jan 17, 2015.

1. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Pay less, get less. Knock-off EN-EL15s seem to die young and pretty compared to the real thing. I just picked up another that was about 25 bucks more than a fake at a bricks-n-mortar retailer. Reliability and longevity? I'll pay for those, thanks.

Same goes for those poxy fake battery grips.

2. Mr.Photo

Mr.Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had a feeling that posting here was going to open up a big ol' can of worms. The simple fact is that people will always be divided on the subject, and will defend their choice to the bitter end. Some people simply won't use anything but OEM and blindly buy with the misconception that it will always work or that it is superior to anything else that is not name brand.

Then there's the people who have been bitten too many times by faulty or defective OEM equipment or simply can't afford it so look to cheaper alternatives. This can work with the caveat that there are many companies out there making very poor quality or possibly unsafe products. Responsibility then falls to the buyer to do the necessary (read extensive) research to ensure that what they're buying will work. In rare cases the 3rd party product may be as good or better than the OEM product. This isn't always the case, but the possibility is there.

I support both sides of this debate. I will buy OEM in most cases. However I do photography more as a hobby than a living, and the few third party batteries I have used overall have been great. Therefore I will consider both OEM and 3rd party when it comes time to replace my next battery. Maybe I'll get lucky and the third Nikon battery will be OK.

3. Alexr25

Alexr25 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The thing to note is that camera manufactures do not make batteries, they buy batteries made to their specifications from "cheap made in China" battery manufactures the same way that 3rd party battery suppliers do. If your 3rd party battery supplier uses a reputable manufacture the battery will be as good or better than the camera manufacturer's battery, if the 3rd party battery supplier uses a cheap fly-by-night battery manufacturer the battery will in all probability be crap.

4. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Take a look at Nikon batteries. Cells appear Japanese-made with Chinese assembly. That's the case with my EN-EL15s. So much for "cheap made in China" batteries. Problem you seem to miss is that there's no way of knowing who made what where with knock-off batteries. If you can afford a pricey DSLR, a few extra bucks for an OEM battery shouldn't be all that painful. No interest in playing cheap-out crap-shoot with counterfeits. YMMV, as usual.

5. JacaRanda

JacaRanda Hobbyist Birdographer

Photos OK to edit
    For me, it makes sense to go by my own experience. Based on experience, I have decided to only use OEM batteries for my 2nd dslr. I also decided to purchase OEM battery grip for my 2nd camera. The oem batteries have held charges longer and recharge life has been better. The OEM grip feels more solid and fits flush when locked down. The 3rd psrty grip worked on my 60D, but battery charge information did not always register properly with it (oem nor 3rd party). I am all for 3rd party flashes (Yongnuo particularly) but grips and batteries will be oem from now, unless financially it can't be done.

6. WayneF

WayneF No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I've been very happy with Wasabi batteries for a D300 (EN-EL3e) and a D800 (EN-EL15). They perform as well and last as long, and 1/3 the price of a Nikon brand. The low price is a very small risk, worry seems unwarranted. Some might be junk, but there are a few brand names with excellent reputations.

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Nothing like some discount lifejackets for the $45,000 ocean fishing boat, or some retread tires for that cross-country drive across the USA with the wife and kids in the car. Save money!

8. WayneF

WayneF No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If it makes you feel good, throw away your money any way you please, but reports are (certainly my reports are) that there are some battery brands that deliver great performance for 1/3 the price. Wasabi has been great for me. It is low cost to try them. They are all imports. :)

9. Trever1t

Trever1t Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wasabi brand

10. PICOBELLA

PICOBELLA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

No question it is safer and more reliable to go with OEM. I purchased an after market Nikon Wannabe battery which was listed as new. I charged it for the required time, the battery life indicator displayed a fully charged battery. It went dead in less than ten minutes. I contacted the seller, and I was sent a replacement since the battery was warrantied for 30 days. The replacement is doing alright as long as I do not use the RTF built in flash unit. I went ahead and purchased an OEM from Nikon and that is serving me well. Now I know that a lot of these after market batteries had been recalled because of the problem of exploding while being charged. So, better safe than sorry. Thanks for reading. Tony