Noob to Car Photography

Evan55T

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
forumserver.twoplustwo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey sorry if this post is ignorant im a car enthusiast who is greatly passionate about cars and im fairly/very new to photography in general. I dont yet have a real photography camera, but i do have an avg one and I was wondering what tips or advice anyone could give me here specifically in taking pictures of cars. Also if there is a place in this forum that is dedicated to car photography or steps/procedures along with necessities I would need to have.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi Evan,

If you aren't ready to get another camera focus on your composition. For example you can google rule of thirds, leading lines, depth, all of which will work with cars quite well.

I have had good luck shooting on fairly cloudy days so the sun's reflections don't blow out the details. Choose a good background.

Welcome aboard.

Try shooting the details on a car such as the headlamps and wheel hubs; fill the frame with them.

Hey sorry if this post is ignorant im a car enthusiast who is greatly passionate about cars and im fairly/very new to photography in general. I dont yet have a real photography camera, but i do have an avg one and I was wondering what tips or advice anyone could give me here specifically in taking pictures of cars. Also if there is a place in this forum that is dedicated to car photography or steps/procedures along with necessities I would need to have.

The "search forums" page is found on a pull-down from the "forums" header.

I searched on "cars" but you can try other searches. There have been many threads on photographing automobiles.

Search Results for Query cars Photography Forum

clean background.
good compression.
good framing/composition.
narrow DOF.

Don't do the expected shot. OK, once or twice, do the expected shot. But not much more than that. Photos of a car full length from the side, or front or back get lost in the masses of identical shots.

Get down low, get up high. Exaggerate a feature. Get in close. Look for the detail stuff that makes that car "THAT" car. Put it in context and you'll have more people stopping to look at the unexpected take on an all too common '57 Chevy coupe.

I'm a big car enthusiast too, and started out with a pocket digital camera. Before I got my DSLR, I mostly tried to browse around on the interwebs and find photos that I liked. From there, I'd try to picture myself in the original photographer's shoes and figure out what he/she did to get the right angle, reflections, etc. Then, when I bought my DSLR, I already had a decent starting point, so I was free to work on the smaller, more precise details of automotive photography. So that's what I'd suggest; try to imitate what others do, so that you have a good foundation for composing your photos, then when you upgrade to a better camera, you'll be able to hone in your skills and work more on the fine details.

I think it's too hard to begin. I watched an interview with car a photgrapher. It is very complex area. You must learn a lot, and have lots of equipment.

car photography is VERY hard. and takes knowledge, skill, and access more than equipment.

I think it's too hard to begin. I watched an interview with car a photgrapher. It is very complex area. You must learn a lot, and have lots of equipment.
For simply shooting cars in the wild (i.e. a Ferrari driving past on the street), you need more practice than anything else. I outgrew a pocket digital camera so I bought a DSLR with just one lens, and it's worked great so far for the automotive photography that I do (except sometimes I could use a bit more zoom). To say that it's "too hard to begin" is pretty lame...if photographing cars was that difficult, that interview you saw with the automotive photographer would have never happened because he wouldn't have been shooting cars in the first place. You have to start somewhere...after all, many of the better photographers I follow on Flickr began shooting cars with their phones/iPods years ago, and now their work is amazing.

Are talking about photoshoots of cars or taking pictures at car shows?

you're going to have to stand back far if you want to fully frame randomly placed cars in random settings, or just do detail shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back