Not photography but please c&C my website for college

UUilliam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I just need a little C&C on my website for college (web content class)
The brief is to create a website detailing what we have learned in the overall course (animation art and design) so far

I think they mint a simple text + few graphics website,
but since I have previous experience in Web design, I created a quick website (took about 20 - 30 mins to design and about 1 - 2 hours to code via dreamweaver)
Its all made using Div tags (Thats the only thing that was holding me back from making a website earlier!!!!!!)

Something I encountered whilst using Divs though is that, I need to make the layour the fullsize of the screen otherwise it wont stretch / If I use <td> <tr> tags on the layout then use divs for text, the layout moves but the disvs stay in the same area in the web page
(hope you undestand)
That is why I sliced my layout and just put them in AP DIV's
(thats what took me most time)
But I kinda prefer it that way!

Http://www.uuilliam.net/motherwell

In the home page section on the left you have misspelled 'portray'.

Also, photography is not tranquil. It (if you are lucky) inspires a sense of tranquility.

In the scrollable text the capitalisation is all over the place. In the sample below capitalisation errors are underlined. Other comments are in'{}'.

"Hi there, this is a short webpage to detail my current progress in my Animtation Art and Design College course at Motherwell College.

First I will tell you why I decided to take this course and how I made my decisions leading up to now.
I am interested in photography, {comma incorrect}Which developed from a hobby I had in Graphic design which Aspired {'inspired' rather than 'aspired'} me to take my own stock photos,{This should be a full stop} This is where I realised how hard it really is (and how costly!) to take a good crisp clear image{s} to use in graphic design.

I Joined a couple of forums, asked my fair share of stupid noobie {beginner} questions like "What is EV, ISO, Aperture and how {why?} do i keep getting colour dots on my images"
After making a complete Arse {is 'arse' really what you want in this context?} of myself countless times, I finally started to understand the concepts of photography and grew into it more and more"

Looking further through the text you do seem to use capital letters at random.

They should be used at the start of a sentence and for proper nouns (names) and acronyms and most abreviations. You should never have a capital letter after a comma unless it is one of the cases above.

Sentences end with a full stop, not a comma.

I'm sure someone is going to start squealing 'pedantic' but even if your college authorities accept that standard of English, when you qualify and start to present your work customers will not be impressed with such a baroque approach to language.

The actual layout is good and clear and the site is easy to navigate.

Last edited:
:p Thankyou for notifying me of the errors, I noticed the Aspire one earlier, but just didn't have time to change it at the time.

I do seem to use capitalization more than I need to (I have toned it down now, I used to type like this, "Why Do I Always Get Spots On My Image"
I passed english with Grade 3 (in standard grade which is the average)
Mainly for my lack of punctuation, but my description and feeling was very indepth.
I have never really used comma and fullstops correctly, I use commas when ending a sentence and going onto a new one that is slightly related, fullstops for ending a paragraph :p
Once again thankyou :)

You use of the word " allot " needs to be corrected,since there is no such word. Here is the USA, the incorrect spelling is frequently seen as " alot ". Your own misspelling adds a second l, so that should be taken care of. As the poster above me mentioned, some might feel it pedantic to point out spelling errors, but comma splices are considered bad grammar,and professors tend to be concerned with proper punctuation,spelling,and word usage, so do the very best that you can. I know many of us make typographical errors, but in school projects it pays to try and weed out as many errors as possible.

Good luck in school,and enjoy your youthful years.

You use of the word " allot " needs to be corrected,since there is no such word. Here is the USA, the incorrect spelling is frequently seen as " alot ". Your own misspelling adds a second l, so that should be taken care of.

LOL, yes, the second 'l' gets it past the spelling checker since 'allot' is, of course, a word, albeit not one that fits in the sentence under discussion.

When you go full screen, there is text underneath your site that is peaking out on the right hand side that you can click on and it takes you to the go daddy site. You might want to take care of that.

CSR
Your screen resolution is larger than 1024x768? (most likely 1280x1024)
My website (including the layout) is created using Divs so i cannot make it expand (I dont know how to do this.) and my class is only web content not web design so technically we shouldn't even know how to do that, all we should know is how to format things for the web :/
The only other way I know how to create a website is slice in hotoshop and save for web with HTML and img files, edit in dreamweaver, use Divs for text only
but then when i expand the layour, the Divs stay in the samer area but the layout stretches

The ads are because it is a godaddy free hosting, so by using Divs this must hide the ads

CSR
Your screen resolution is larger than 1024x768? (most likely 1280x1024)
My website (including the layout) is created using Divs so i cannot make it expand (I dont know how to do this.) and my class is only web content not web design so technically we shouldn't even know how to do that, all we should know is how to format things for the web :/
The only other way I know how to create a website is slice in hotoshop and save for web with HTML and img files, edit in dreamweaver, use Divs for text only
but then when i expand the layour, the Divs stay in the samer area but the layout stretches

The ads are because it is a godaddy free hosting, so by using Divs this must hide the ads

You're right it is. Just wanted to let you know about it.

Remove the image buttons. They need to be text links, with alt and title tags in them to be well ranking in Google. Also, remove that scrolling on the right. Your page should never hide text like that. What if someone wanted to print your page or use a text reader for the blind?

As others have suggested you need to review this document very carefully as the lack of proper gramma and punctuation including misspelled words is a real turn off.

I understand that these items may not be a strong suit for you, but the ability to communicate with the written word is critical for an educated individual.

Frankly, if I were on the committe reviewing this document I would throw it out and not read past the first description. Hard statement, but factual. As, an aside , I am on these types of committes.

I say the above as a poor speller and a terrible writer, but who always has things proof read when it is important ,and this would fall into that classification.

yeah, I really just threw the text in to get it started to see how it would appear online..
I will be re-writing it when I have the content to place into the webpage (the course is web content, not web design)

I dont know why but the Title text (the top line in the content area) if I fix it for mozilla, it seems to jump up abit (on mozilla i need to put the top value to 130 but on ie it needs 150...)
#apDiv26 {
position:absolute;
left:403px;
top:150px;
width:372px;
height:64px;
z-index:25;
}
#apDiv26 h1 strong {
color: #FFF;
font-size: larger;
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-weight: bold;
is the CSS for that area

but all the other text is fine... e.g. the main content is
#apDiv27 {
position:absolute;
left:409px;
top:232px;
width:467px;
height:485px;
z-index:26;
font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
color: #000;
font-size: 16px;
overflow: auto;
font-weight: bold;
text-align: left;

I need the scroll bar on the intro page though, the text is too long and my layout cannot stretch (i dont know how to do that...)

You use of the word " allot " needs to be corrected,since there is no such word. Here is the USA, the incorrect spelling is frequently seen as " alot ". Your own misspelling adds a second l, so that should be taken care of.

Actually the proper use of that word is to make it two words "a lot"

Actually the proper use of that word is to make it two words "a lot"
I always thought that
but because Office word spell checker, it kept changing it to allot ://

so I adapted to using allot instead of a lot

well, that's because allot is a word.

It has a similar meaning to allocate. It means to give or to share. Used in a sentence it might be my boss allotted me five hours to complete this task.

However, I believe that you used allot to mean a large number of a given item. which would be "a lot"

Most reactions

Back