OCF Set-up

jmtonkin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

Yes, another one of these posts, I'm sure. It's just that there is a lot to getting a flash off the camera, and I want to make sure that I have my bases covered.

Like I said, I want to get my flash (SB-900) off my camera (D300s). I've decided on getting the Westcott 43" umbrella, but that's about all that I have narrowed down. I know that I'll need a flash stand, but I don't even know where to start with that. Also, I need some sort of a trigger for my flash. I found these (YN-622), but I do not know if that is sufficient for getting my flash off the camera. I like that these are able to work with Nikon's TTL and have a sync-speed up to 1/8000s. Is that all I need to fire it though? I'm at a complete loss!

Thanks,
Joshua

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Adorama has some nice light stands, for as low as $19.99 --> flashpoint light stand : Buy or Learn at Adorama
There are different height light stands. 7 foot, 8.5 foot, 9.5, 13, etc depending upon what you want. I think the 7 foot is a good starter or maybe the 8-1.2 foot one. If you are using this inside a general house you can't really go more than 8-1/2 without higher ceilings, etc. The span of the umbrella takes away the overall height a bit.

you still need to add a Bracket --> Adorama Universal Swivel Holder - Umbrella Bracket 781404
This is attached to the top of the flash stand. The umbrella goes in a slot, and the flash on top

I also use the Yongnuo 622Ns ("N" for Nikon versus the "C" for Canon)
You will need 2 of them. One on top of the camera and the other under the flash.
with the Radio Trigger it gives you the most versatility with flash location.
You don't need the trigger. You could use the flash in remote mode in which you camera's popup flash can trigger it
or use a Nikon SU-800 ... but I've been there and love the Radio YN622 triggers

What is the purpose of the YN-622-TX? Do I need that as well? What is the minimum that I could get by with and still have a reliable piece of equipment?

THe 622 TX is a controlling unit.

You can control multiple flashes in GROUPS
So lets say you have 3 groups A B & C, which may consist of one or multiple flashes.

You can set Group A to be at 1/4 flash power
Group B to 1/16
Group C to 1/64

all *at* the camera. And these settings are sent to the flashes automatically. So if you make a quick change, it's automatically changed at the flash for you from the TX unit.

otherwise you go Manual and change each flash manually

there also is a Commander in the camera itself (you have it too I believe) which allows you to play with this via the camera itself.
Then the next step up is the SU-800 Infrared Commander
Then a unit like this TX which is Radio Frequency

look at this -->

Last edited by a moderator:
With using the built in commander you have to set each remote flash to REMOTE. usually not a problem as you set it once and that's about it. I have 4 flashes, I only use on for On Camera Flash and that's a SB-700 (like your SB-900) which is just a switch. With the SU800s you go into it's funky menu.

With a SU-800 once again the OCFs are set to REMOTE

With the 622s the flashes are just as if they are on top of the camera.
The Groups and channels are selected on each radio trigger
and the TX sends the information to each trigger and sets them off.
A bit easier, especially if you like to put flashes around corners or hidden.

If I purchase the two YN-622Ns, would I be able to fire my flash off-camera, or do I need the TX as well?

I've used my pop-up as a trigger before, but I've run into problems if I am outside on a bright day. Also, if I'm shooting through an umbrella, I'm afraid that it won't pick up the pop-up flash.

I've never done this as I bought a TX with my 622Ns but You should be fine with one 622 on the camera
and a 2nd on the flash

If you buy a 2nd flash then use the existing 622 with that flash and purchase yourself a TX for the camera.

I can confirm when I get home or someone else that has done it.

..... I know that I'll need a flash stand, but I don't even know where to start with that.....
Go to the used section of your local brick and mortar store. You can pick up some deals there. I'd suggest an 8' stand as a minimum. Sure you can lower it if you have a low ceiling, but outside, they're kinda hard to stretch.

Yes, one 622n on the camera
and one on the flash work fine
No TX unit needed

That's enough to get you started

Most reactions

New Topics

Back