OCF-Shooting with my new umbrella C&C wanted! (good and bad!)

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So here was my basic setup.

lighting-diagram-1319599111.png

43" Umbrella, shooting through. SB-800 set to 14mm (plastic diffuser) TTL)
Silver reflector opposite. SB-600 to light the far wall.

Shot in a 10'x10' room with furniture. Pretty cramped in there and my model, well she's a great sport and put up with my really bad direction.

Southern Comfort by Trever1t, on Flickr

What I see.

1) I got some funky yellow reflection under her chin, from where I can't tell if it's from the jewelry or her skin?
2) I got some unwanted reflection in her eyes, is that me? :lol:

Please don't wear gloves on my account, give it to me so I can improve!

Dude, if you start doing stuff like this, turn off the TTL and manually control it.

What's throwing me off the worst is that she's laying down... but your image is vertical :lol:

The FIRST thing I noticed after that, however, was how her hair is wrapping around her neck like a scarf. I would look less awkward if it were going down along her neck rather than wrapped around it.

As far as that gold refection... you got me! :lol: I don't think it's from her skin though... I don't think skin is that reflective... is it? :lol: Also you have it happening right under her chest and she's wearing a black top... no skin exposed there.

Also, take this with a grain of salt because I am not a studio shooter. You should really be shooting with smaller aperture and manual mode. There is no reason for you to shoot at 2.8 and aperture priority when you do studio shoot.

Small steps Schwetty, small steps. :D

E.Rose, yeah, I kinda liked the vertical aspect at first...hmm.

As far as the Aperture, I wanted a fairly shallow DOF with the 24-70 as far out as I could run it in the tight quarters.

Small steps Schwetty, small steps. :D

E.Rose, yeah, I kinda liked the vertical aspect at first...hmm.

As far as the Aperture, I wanted a fairly shallow DOF with the 24-70 as far out as I could run it in the tight quarters.

I didn't say I didn't *like* it... it just... threw me off at first :lol:

It kinda makes me feel a kind of tension and I almost like that. :sillysmi:

I guess the way I worded my OP would lead you to believe I don't like it. Excuse me. It's been a long day. :lol:

Why are you shooting ttl and aperture ? the flash is calculating the power output not you so you have no idea what you are going to get

Just does not "read" correctly as a tall...she is obviously NOT standing up...I went to FLickr and looked at the Large size...did you artificially lighten up the bed sheet? It looks retouched around her hands, and her hair looks odd too, at the top...I wish her dark eyes had more catchlight in them, so they had more sparkle. I cannot figure out where that yellowish light is coming from...

The yellow is probably coming from tunsten lights that are visible with the slow shutter speed, which you will get with the Av setting - there are two exposures: the ambient (non-flash) and the flash. If you use manual and a shutter speed of 1/200 (or whatever your sync speed is), you'll minimize the ambient and get only the flash.

You pretty much want your setting with the flash turned off to be almost back on the preview screen trev.

The reflection is going down her torso as well, except for where her arm is. Based on that, I'd guess the reflection is coming from where you're standing, or in that area. Mayhaps a lamp or something. That's as much as I can be of assistance :)

Why are you shooting ttl and aperture ? the flash is calculating the power output not you so you have no idea what you are going to get

Amateurish behavior no doubt ;) My first time OCF with umbrella. I promise next time will use M flash settings. The math of flash settings confuses the crap out of me although I am excellent with math...go figure!

Just does not "read" correctly as a tall...she is obviously NOT standing up...I went to FLickr and looked at the Large size...did you artificially lighten up the bed sheet? It looks retouched around her hands, and her hair looks odd too, at the top...I wish her dark eyes had more catchlight in them, so they had more sparkle. I cannot figure out where that yellowish light is coming from...

Not at all. I did 'touch her face but only slightly and apply a little curve adjustment but other than that it's all natural. With the way she's posed I could have placed a small strobe at my left shoulder to fill her eyes better huh? Thank you for the reply!

The yellow is probably coming from tunsten lights that are visible with the slow shutter speed, which you will get with the Av setting - there are two exposures: the ambient (non-flash) and the flash. If you use manual and a shutter speed of 1/200 (or whatever your sync speed is), you'll minimize the ambient and get only the flash.

That's it! Yup, the lamp directly overhead has a yellow cast.

If I had that off though focus would have been near impossible....unless I set up the pose, focused and shut off the overhead light?

Nah, just use the sync shutter speed of 1/200 - that usually kills the ambient, especially if you are shooting flash. If you have doubts, set your exposure for whatever f/stop you want to use, set the shutter to the sync speed and take a test pic without the flash. If you get "black", then there's no chance of ambient contribution to your photo - otherwise you'll see how much (and where) the lit-up areas are.

I'm not liking or feeling she is enjoying the shot, (wrinkles in the forhead) , that reflection may be the underside of the other ear ring bouncing back light. Watch the hand posing, one Master I took a class from refered to fingers sticking out as "hot dogs" laying there if not presented well.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Have you visited strobist yet?

Strobist

strobist 101 section.

Strobist: Lighting 101

Once lil Jacob is potty trained and he's in pre-school or daycare thats the first place I'm headed.

Most reactions

Back