Is there a point of learning Aperture,ISO,Shutter speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrixgravity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The only cool looking aesthetic effects you can do with a camera are Depth of field, and Bokeh. Other than that, is there really any point in learning how to use Aperture, ISO, and Shutter Speed? I mean, can't a beginner just purchase an expensive DSLR and just shoot on auto and produce professional looking pictures? I mean, the only reason you would need aperture,ISO, or shutter speed is if you wanted to create depth of field, or bokeh. Other than that, what is the point though? Thats what confuses me..There really doesn't seem like there is much to do with a camera aside from bokeh and depth of field..That is all I ever see..

The whole point of ISO, aperture and shutter speed is to have creative control over how your pictures come out. There are 6 exposures for every picture and shooting auto doesn't let you control how the picture comes out.

Why learn about white balance? Or - why learn how to use an editing program?

You can shoot auto all day!

Nope. No point at all.
It's perfectly fine to throw it in auto and let the camera make all the decisions for you!

The only cool looking aesthetic effects you can do with a camera are Depth of field, and Bokeh. Other than that, is there really any point in learning how to use Aperture, ISO, and Shutter Speed?

Yes. You can't obtain proper exposure without knowledge of all 3.

Matrixgravity said:
I mean, can't a beginner just purchase an expensive DSLR and just shoot on auto and produce professional looking pictures?

No. You can produce nice snap shots maybe...

Matrixgravity said:
I mean, the only reason you would need aperture,ISO, or shutter speed is if you wanted to create depth of field, or bokeh. Other than that, what is the point though?

Proper exposure.

Matrixgravity said:
Thats what confuses me..There really doesn't seem like there is much to do with a camera aside from bokeh and depth of field..That is all I ever see..

ISO, Aperture, and shutter speed aren't about creating "effects". They're about obtaining proper *exposure*.

I can't say it enough times...

You need these for EXPOOOOOSUUUUURE... :lol: :sexywink:

The whole point of ISO, aperture and shutter speed is to have creative control over how your pictures come out. There are 6 exposures for every picture and shooting auto doesn't let you control how the picture comes out.

Why learn about white balance? Or - why learn how to use an editing program?

You can shoot auto all day!

Yeah.. It's just when I personally shoot with my camera on Auto, it produces some seemingly interesting pictures with little effort. So I'm just wondering is there really a purpose of shooting on Manual and learning all these things about Photography if you achieve some great pictures just by using Auto mode? Maybe there is more to it than that.. But the only reason I would want to shoot on Manual is if I wanted to shoot something with a shallow depth of field, or bokeh..

Yup, Bokeh and Depth of field. You're in there.

Yup, Bokeh and Depth of field. You're in there.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but pardon my ignorance lol. Whenever I see Photography, the only discernible technique I ever see used is a shallow depth of field, or Bokeh. That's all I ever really see..So that leads me to believe that not much can really be achieved then..So wouldn't it be easier to just do Auto then..

The only cool looking aesthetic effects you can do with a camera are Depth of field, and Bokeh. Other than that, is there really any point in learning how to use Aperture, ISO, and Shutter Speed?

Yes. You can't obtain proper exposure without knowledge of all 3.

Matrixgravity said:
I mean, can't a beginner just purchase an expensive DSLR and just shoot on auto and produce professional looking pictures?

No. You can produce nice snap shots maybe...

Matrixgravity said:
I mean, the only reason you would need aperture,ISO, or shutter speed is if you wanted to create depth of field, or bokeh. Other than that, what is the point though?

Proper exposure.

Matrixgravity said:
Thats what confuses me..There really doesn't seem like there is much to do with a camera aside from bokeh and depth of field..That is all I ever see..

ISO, Aperture, and shutter speed aren't about creating "effects". They're about obtaining proper *exposure*.

I can't say it enough times...

You need these for EXPOOOOOSUUUUURE... :lol: :sexywink:
And if anyone here knows anything about exposure...

^^ What rose said.

matrix have you been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder? One day you want to learn those exact three things and the next you think it's pointless. There's so many different things the three things can do, if you're on auto you have no control over what it does. I won't use easy mode in my camera because it gives me the worst pictures so if for some reason yours gives you the best I would continue to shoot with it.

...Whenever I see Photography, the only discernible technique I ever see used is a shallow depth of field, or Bokeh. That's all I ever really see...
Then, without meaning to be rude, I would submit that you don't really know or understand what you're looking at.

tirediron said:
Then, without meaning to be rude, I would submit that you don't really know or understand what you're looking at.

I would have to agree! ^^^

I thought my photos shot on auto were AMAZING until I learned how to shoot manual and learned about EXPOSURE. Why spend money on an expensive DSLR and lenses when you could've just bought a point and shoot camera?

Find someone else's photo that you really like, then try to duplicate it on "auto". See if you can get the same feeling out of your version done on auto.

For me (a noob), I get more consistent shots on progam mode (nearly like auto) but they are uninspiring. When I think about how I want my shot to look first and set up the exposure to give it to me, I get much better pictures. I also screw up a lot more, but then I am learning.

The best advice I got from a pro was to learn basic rules of picture composition first. Then start to fuss more over your exposure.

Enjoy.

tirediron said:

I would have to agree! ^^^

I thought my photos shot on auto were AMAZING until I learned how to shoot manual and learned about EXPOSURE. Why spend money on an expensive DSLR and lenses when you could've just bought a point and shoot camera?

Hmm..Do you happen to have any Before/After pictures of shooting on Auto and shooting on Manual? Because from what I understand, Manual is just used to expose the picture accurately but if Auto can calculate all of that for you, then wouldn't it be the same? Perhaps I am missing something here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back