oh... hm... I need a bit of encouragement ...

Marija, I've kinda been absent, but that time out let my thoughts ferment a little. Here's my thinking. Your images are very, very good, but for another reason than technical. The best photographs, in my mind, are those that allow the viewer to add his or her own interpretation to what they are seeing in your image. It's like a dance, in which the two partners don't just go through the motions of memorized steps, but react to each other. Your images create the setting into which a viewer can enter and participate. Your images don't tell us what to see - but they suggest a possibility, which the viewer can then interpret and engage with. Each viewer can have a different experience with the images you show - and that ability to create an "unfinished" photograph that encourages a viewer to supply the missing narrative, is a wonderful ability indeed.

Thinking back, I think we even talked about this a year or so back. You showed us some images without explaining the context, and we had a pretty good time figuring out what we thought we saw.

The danger in showing your work, may be that people (well, some of them, anyways) may have expectations of a completely "finished" presentation, where you essentially tell them what they are supposed to see. And yet, those kind of images can be very pretty, but are often static - because once you've digested the presented material, there's nothing more to do there. Whereas an image with ambiguity, with a meaning hinted at, but not said explicitly, is a much more subtle and difficult process of creation. I aspire to that level of ability, and sometimes despair at being able to achieve it. I see it in the work of Chris Crossley, and in Judi Smelko, and several other photographers who don't post on TPF. Do you remember Frederico (Invisible)? He had some very intriguing images and made us work a little in seeing and projecting our interpretations.

Really good artists can hint at a reality and have the viewer then participate in creating it. You do that.

Marija, I've kinda been absent, but that time out let my thoughts ferment a little. Here's my thinking. Your images are very, very good, but for another reason than technical. The best photographs, in my mind, are those that allow the viewer to add his or her own interpretation to what they are seeing in your image. It's like a dance, in which the two partners don't just go through the motions of memorized steps, but react to each other. Your images create the setting into which a viewer can enter and participate. Your images don't tell us what to see - but they suggest a possibility, which the viewer can then interpret and engage with. Each viewer can have a different experience with the images you show - and that ability to create an "unfinished" photograph that encourages a viewer to supply the missing narrative, is a wonderful ability indeed.

Thinking back, I think we even talked about this a year or so back. You showed us some images without explaining the context, and we had a pretty good time figuring out what we thought we saw.

The danger in showing your work, may be that people (well, some of them, anyways) may have expectations of a completely "finished" presentation, where you essentially tell them what they are supposed to see. And yet, those kind of images can be very pretty, but are often static - because once you've digested the presented material, there's nothing more to do there. Whereas an image with ambiguity, with a meaning hinted at, but not said explicitly, is a much more subtle and difficult process of creation. I aspire to that level of ability, and sometimes despair at being able to achieve it. I see it in the work of Chris Crossley, and in Judi Smelko, and several other photographers who don't post on TPF. Do you remember Frederico (Invisible)? He had some very intriguing images and made us work a little in seeing and projecting our interpretations.

Really good artists can hint at a reality and have the viewer then participate in creating it. You do that.

oh Paul...

I...
I... I really don't know what to say on all of this... I'm speechless. Really.

I've never thought that I could get this kind of opinion on my photographs. It's close to unbelievable to me... I actually imagined that you're saying this to some other photographer out there and I just happen to read it.

I'm trying really hard to find words to express how I feel after I read your post for a few times, but I can't find proper words. I'm really touched by the effort and time you spend thinking about my photographs. (I think I just cried a bit)... and for saying something I really wanted to achieve with my photography and wasn't sure I'm able to.

Thank you!!! :icon_hug::icon_hug::icon_hug:

Sometimes words get in the way. You asked the question, and I gave you my answer. But at a more fundamental level, you expressed a doubt, and I am holding up the mirror to you so you can see that the doubt is unwarranted. Some doubt is always healthy, and provides the push to get better. Too little doubt and you have arrogance and complacency. Too much doubt is like a drug overdose - it can kill your initiative and will. Your talent has already convinced us of your rather unique vision and ability. Now, you have to believe it yourself.

mmaria,

Sometime ago a photographer told me that the most important thing in photography is confidence in the camera and the person behind the camera (i.e, you). I can't possibly imagine one reason why you should be intimidated by someone else's work or that person on a personal level. The best photographers didn't get there by being jerks, so regardless of their personality, they will at least put on a polite smile. 7 pages of people saying great things won't help if you don't believe in yourself, so own your personality, your craft, and your vision. Then take all that and go to this exhibition, put your work on display for the other members, and only then will you get the answer you seek of whether you are able to make the grade or not.

Good luck!

--James

Sometimes words get in the way. You asked the question, and I gave you my answer. But at a more fundamental level, you expressed a doubt, and I am holding up the mirror to you so you can see that the doubt is unwarranted. Some doubt is always healthy, and provides the push to get better. Too little doubt and you have arrogance and complacency. Too much doubt is like a drug overdose - it can kill your initiative and will. Your talent has already convinced us of your rather unique vision and ability. Now, you have to believe it yourself.
:icon_hug:

Thank you!

I must say that I feel just a bit better... two days ago on a conference I gathered courage and approached a professional photographer. I envied him, I must admit, because he does what I'd like to do. We talked about his commercial and his personal work etc.. After we talked a bit he gave me his website address and I look at it later.
I expected much more from him. Sadly but, he not being great photographer made me feel better about my own photography.

I think I'll never be able to feel confident about my photography, which is good in a way that I'll constantly learn trying to be better, but it's not good because I don't have confidence in certain situations like this one.

I guess I'll learn it with time... and the support I got from this thread! :)

mmaria,

Sometime ago a photographer told me that the most important thing in photography is confidence in the camera and the person behind the camera (i.e, you). I can't possibly imagine one reason why you should be intimidated by someone else's work or that person on a personal level. The best photographers didn't get there by being jerks, so regardless of their personality, they will at least put on a polite smile. 7 pages of people saying great things won't help if you don't believe in yourself, so own your personality, your craft, and your vision. Then take all that and go to this exhibition, put your work on display for the other members, and only then will you get the answer you seek of whether you are able to make the grade or not.

Good luck!

--James
Thank you James for saying all of this ... you're completely right.

I feel better than I was when the thread started and words like this really helped me. I think I need to realize that I should have confidence even if it's based just on me as a person oh...idk... I need to find a way to clear the thoughts in my head...

mmaria,

Good luck!

--James
Thank you James for saying all of this ... you're completely right.

I feel better than I was when the thread started and words like this really helped me. I think I need to realize that I should have confidence even if it's based just on me as a person oh...idk... I need to find a way to clear the thoughts in my head...

That's the spirit! Best way to clear thoughts, take more photos, but for fun, not for a project. Obviously I don't know who you are as a person, but I will assume that you are a humble person. So continue to be humble, but with an internal confidence. A fire in the heart can sometimes be better than a fire in the eye.

--James

Most reactions

New Topics

Back