Oh Snap! Another Recommendation Thread

drew8mc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a total amateur who is looking to improve his skills and I feel I am reaching the limit of my current gear.

What I currently own:
Nikon D40
Kit lens
Nikon 35mm DX F1.8
Nikon 55mm manual focus F1.8 from the 70's (my best lens)
Sigma 10-20mm EX F4-5.6
SB-400 speedlight
Remote
Tiltall tripod.

I am an architect by trade and have done a good bit of my own photography for projects. I'd like to improve on this. Both exterior and interior shots need improvement. I also just had a baby girl and I would love to improve my portrait work as well. Also, I'd love to get video going with a new camera that has that feature.

My budget for camera body is between $1000 and $1500, maybe stretching a bit if there is a feature that's important. I have no problem with used gear. I'd like to stay in the Nikon family.

I have been looking at the D610. I like the ISO options, full frame sensor, video, and built in HDR options. I'm guessing my 35mm and kit lens will not be compatible with the full frame sensor. What about the old 55 and the Sigma? Are there other bodies I should be considering? I would like to keep it fairly portable for everyday use so I'd like to stay away from big bodies.

Is there any other equipment (such as strobes) that might be a better improvement to my architectural work. Does good HDR eliminate the need for those costly lights?

Thanks in advance for all of you insight.
Drew

HDR is your best and cheapest bet, just be very careful not to overdo the HDR effect.

The 610 is a great camera choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back