Ok, Maybe My Setting Are Off??? Pix Included..

Enem178

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kwaltonphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just bought my 40d and one thing I do to test my cameras out is take a pix of the city skyline from my window. Problem is, I seem to get better results from my old sony dsc-h3. To me the sony pic's look better or at the very lease they look the same (and that aint good either lol). Maybe I just have to get to know the camera as good as I do my sony but someone please chime in. I pretty much always shoot in manual and it also seems like I have to push the iso up higher with the canon vs. the sony when Im shooting by hand in low light situations?? By no means do I think the sony pic is a work of art but I just feel they look better. You guys be the judge....

SONY DSC-H3
911Lights5.jpg

CANON 40D-Iso 250, 3"2 - 9.0 Apr, Awb, +4 Sharp,+1 Sat, 0 on all else.
IMG_0257_edited-1.jpg

Another 40D Shot I Just Threw In
IMG_0178.jpg

Personally I prefer the Canon shots by a huge margin, but that's just my opinion

I've been having the same problem with my sony A100 - the pics from it aren't as sharp as the pics I was getting with my canon point & shoot! I've also come to the conclusion that perhaps I just need to get to know the new camera and its settings better. I'm also trying out a better lens with future photos since someone here told me Minolta made two 70-210 zooms, of which mine is the later model and the not so good one. Good Luck. and Happy New Year!

I see what's concerning you, but to be honest, this isn't a fair comparison. What I'd suggest is that you reshoot this, taking care to ensure that the images from both cameras are as close to identical in composition as possible, and taken at as close to the same time and from the same position as possible. Then, compare 100% crops of the images taken from various points on the image. I'd also suggest doing daylight images to start.

Hey Dag, you have a 40d also? I agree with you about getting to know the camera better, I refuse to believe that I spent money to get almost the same result!! It's got to be me lol Yes, Happy New Year all!!!

What I see in the first of the two D40 photos is that you didn't focus well. The background is out of focus. No wonder you're not quite as happy with that one as you were with the better focused one from your older Sony...

I took tirediron's advice and I re shot the skyline during the day with both cameras. These haven't been touched in photoshop, so forgive me if they are a little off. Ill include one slightly under exposed shot from both the h3 and the 40d and a "0" exposed shot from both. I auto focused with the canon with both shots. To me they still look very similar (again maybe I still have to play with the settings on the canon??). Hey manaheim im going to read that thread as soon as im done with this. Thanks!!

Sony- "under exposed" iso 100, 1/500, f/9.0, AWB
DSC04449.jpg

Canon- "under exposed" iso 100, 1/500, f/11.0, AWB
IMG_0325.jpg

Sony- iso 100, 1/320, f/9.0, AWB
DSC04451.jpg

Canon- iso 100, 1/125, f/11.0, AWB
IMG_0326.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back