Ok, this drives me nuts....Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennielou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a site that appeals to amatures, hobbiests, and pros. I get that. And I honestly appreciate that.

What drives me nuts is when someone slams a photo, yet they have never upload a photo themselves. They have no website, or they have a really lame one with photos of flowers or whatever. They have never ever ever been in that particular shooting situation.

And then basically they say, "Wow, that really sucks".

They don't do it to me, but I see this alot around this site. And it drives me nuts.

The first thing I do when I see really hateful posts is to go to that posters website (if they have one). If they have one, it normally sucks.

The second thing I do is to go to the stats, and see all their posts, all the responses and all the threads they started. A lot of these people, sorry to say, are trollers. They have no advice, no experience, and no class.

Hey, I'm all into the normal guy or gal who has a contructive opinon. I've learned a lot from non pros. They are basically like my clients, and they see things that I sometimes don't notice. And I grow from that.

But I really hate the bully's here. The no talent, never posted a photo, isn't a pro, doesn't have a sample website bullies.

And what kills me more is the vaste amount of misinformation from people who don't know what they are talking about. They drive me NUTS.

Ok, vent over. :)

Ok, maybe not vent over.

Another thing that makes me nuts is people who have no legal knowlege, who never worked a paid shot in their life, who never paid a tax one on photography giving advice. Legal advice no less. They can't just answer, "I don't know", they have to type all this insanity. In short they have no idea what they are talking about.

Why?

Because they are amatures. Nothing wrong with that, but own up to the fact you have no real world experience. Just admit you have no idea what you are talking about.

Don't confuse people when you don't know what you are doing. Don't steer people wrong with your YouTube info from other non starters.

In short if you want to be an expert, than do it in deed and not word. Show me how great you are. Show me that you know all about taxes, legal issues, and the like.

Don't show me some half assed website with photos of flowers and your kids and try to tell me you know everything.

I do this everyday. For a living.

And no, I'm not going to be nice if you are going to try to post misinformation. It makes you look like an idiot, and it totally confuses good people.

Ah well, bennielou, I've been a member of this forum for more than 6 years now, and this complaint has come up over and again, what with people posting advice who never let us see any work of their own. I think a huge forum such as this one (and it IS huge!) will have to live with those for all times. There is no way to avoid also having those hanging out on here, I'm afraid. All you and others with the knowledge can do is go into those threads and point out that apparently the member giving legal advice (for example) who doesn't seem to know a thing is giving out the WRONG piece of advice.

Or that you personally disagree with their critique and see things all differently.

I guess, that's the only way to handle this particular problem you're having.

LaFoto, (love you), I've been a member just as long.

My contention is all these people who offer crappy advise. They don't know what they are talking about. They have never done a paid shoot ever.

And then I love those guys who give legal advice. Again, they aren't full time shooters, they have never even seen a lawyer in thier life, but they pipe on about total crap.

I honestly don't have an answer for the trollers. I don't. I guess we have to put up with them and all their misinformation. But it's a total buzz kill. I hate talking to people who are flat out misinformed. I don't mind people who are just starting out. I welcome them. But not when they spew all kinds of bad advice. And those wno are least worthy, are the first to tell eveyone how to do things. It just pisses me off.

Like water off a duck's back ...

Take criticism as you see fit. Change what you agree with -- don't change what you don't. Listen to those who you respect. Ignore the criticism of others who you don't respect.

I only respect the criticism of those whose images I've seen and like. That's my choice. I've ignored many a critique from those who don't meet my criteria. You need to make your own decisions.

I respct you Laphoto, much much. You too . icassel.

:lmao:

Yes, I agree. And we get called all kinds of names for feeling that way too. :lol:

I left another forum for that very reason. The owner of this forum that cannot be mentioned asked me why I was still posting here. My response was that it is much easier to ignore one stupid, barely knowledgeable god of photography on a forum with 1000s of members than on one with barely (at the time) 70 members.

Also, I am one of those people who doesn't post images. I have a few reasons for that but a big one is that I am not interested in having my work C&Ced by people who picked up a camera 3 weeks ago and learned about the rule of 3rds a week ago. Frankly, why should I subject myself to that kind of abuse?

While it would be nice to post some shots, I don't think I need to for thinking members to know that I know what I'm talking about. And, yes, I stay away from things I don't know. That, to me, is an obvious one.

There is one member here that is especially abusive of people with experience but, again, considering the size of the membership, it is easy enough to just ignore him. If he doesn't need help, so be it. What do I care if he never goes anywhere with his photo?

However, keep in mind that we are all liable to make mistakes. I have said stupid things because, sometimes, my fingers are faster than my mind. It's rare but only because I am a bad typist :lol: And it seems to me you, yourself, did the same just recently on a legal question. :grumpy:

I'm not perfect. You're not perfect. No one is. Period. Don't make a big deal of it. Not to say that people who constantly post BS shouldn't be shot on sight. Thank god we are in a virtual world and we can't...

Hmmm i seem to remember an agreement where we allowed somone to come back to the forums under a different name if they didn't go back to thier old ways and...rant...

I understand that things can be frustrating on public forums, but there is a simple answer to these issues, and I would advise you do what most others do.
This is to either report a member if they are being overly aggressive. Or use the ignore button and move on...
What doesn't really have any effect at all is to make another thread about how rude people are.... it won't change peoples behaviour.

I hope that we can leave this thread alone and get back to the photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back