Old people. Tips please

Mcsteller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just gettin into photography and i love it, but could use some guidance. Havent really had a chance to get any really exciting subjects but im still working on my composition. So C&C away, and tips are appreciated. thanks in advance.

IMG_8281.jpg

comp is bad. use the rule of thirds. dont center them in the frame.

Aww how sweet and conventional. Forget the rule of thirds. Shoot what looks good. This may not be the best shot, but it's not made or broken by the couple being centered.

To be clear, something to the effect of "this doesn't follow the rule of thirds" doesn't really require you to critique the photo in any meaningful way.

In other news, I think you could have waited for better light.

Just a suggestion, next time take 3 steps to the left so he does not have a large wooden pole growing out of his head,

thanks guys. youve helped alot, i got a lot of things to work on.

Aww how sweet and conventional. Forget the rule of thirds. Shoot what looks good. This may not be the best shot, but it's not made or broken by the couple being centered.

To be clear, something to the effect of "this doesn't follow the rule of thirds" doesn't really require you to critique the photo in any meaningful way.

In other news, I think you could have waited for better light.

Just gettin into photography and i love it, but could use some guidance. Havent really had a chance to get any really exciting subjects but im still working on my composition. So C&C away, and tips are appreciated. thanks in advance.

Well MaxBloom, as she stated she's new to photography, and in order to get better you must learn all the basic rules. I would also go as far as to say, YOU MUST LEARN ALL THE BASIC RULES B4 U CAN BREAK THEM. So what I was doing is trying to help her. My critique is a very valid one that is prbly going to help her more then. "Wait for better light" which is very general in it self, and did not take you that much time to do your so called critique.

older people make great subjects really because of their texture! they don't move around much and typically are excited that someone is even paying attention to them...on a side note i'm pretty sure i'm going to hell

op, picture is good. having the couple in the center makes the photo. if they were off to one side i wouldn't like this photo as much. you have to love old people. :)

older people make great subjects really because of their texture! they don't move around much and typically are excited that someone is even paying attention to them...on a side note i'm pretty sure i'm going to hell

omg!

To quote a wise man

"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."
homer_simpson.jpg

As far as critiques go, I agree with the earlier poster. Introduction to even the basic rules of photography will help the true beginner. Not having the posts coming out of their heads is also a good thing to take in to consideration. The problem here is probably where it was posted.

General Critical Analysis This section is for serious, thorough critique of finished photographs only. No works in progress, please. If you have questions about or problems with your photo, it does not belong here. Please read the section rules before posting

People and pets forum might be more suitable ;)

I would look into the rule of 3rds, basic composition, lighting etc. Sorry, nothing new to add to this one :(

A few of us have agreed that it should be considered the "Appeal of Thirds". There is nothing wrong with symmetry either.

The idea of stepping to the right or left to get the post out of their head is valid.

Waiting for better light is also valid.

The more you shoot, the more you get critiqued, the better photographer you will become. Absorb as much as you can from the comments. If it works for you, take it on board, if it sounds like someone is talking from their backside, ignore it initially and the revisit it later. After you are more comfortable with your camera, perhaps you will discover they weren't blowing smoke up your skirt.

edit.jpg

Now you can't say this isnt more ascetically pleasing...

You incorrectly spelled the word "aesthetic." "ascetic" is a very different thing.

And no, It's not more aesthetically pleasing. That crop you did in order to obey the rule of thirds has placed the bush too far into the foreground and made it the primary subject.

Following the rule of thirds does not make you "better," as you say. It's simply an orientation of subject matter. It's not even a technique per se, in the sense that it requires any practice. Okay, so the OP now knows what the rule of thirds is, and can proceed to break it intentionally. Hoo-ray.

As for your response to my original post, there are a couple things you ought to take note of.
1) I never said that your critique was invalid. I said it wasn't meaningful because you looked at the photo and immediately wrote off the composition because it didn't follow the rule of thirds. It was dogmatic and impulsive, and once you immediately realized that it had broken some rule, your analysis stopped there.
2) I think it's plain to see that my suggestion proved far more useful in this case. Take your photoshopped version, for example. Your advice to follow the rule of thirds has turned a bush into the primary subject. Your brightness adjustment, which we might consider "better light" actually improved the shot.
3) The lighting was all I felt like commenting on. It certainly wasn't the only thing that I examined.

Thanks guys, all your comments are well taken. This shot was one of my first and i have a long way to go. but i think im going in the right direction. I also made this photoshop a few days ago but havent posted it.

oldpeople.jpg

but the bush does kinda steal the spotlight from the old people

Personally, I like it better with the crop. It creates a direct eyline from the couple to the boats.
The sun isn't great, but sometimes you can't do alot about that as this was a momemt in time.
I think it would be cool in black and white.

Your going to hell...
:eek:ldman:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back