Olympus Pen E-PL1: Lens suggestions?

marylebone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm still fairly inexperienced when it comes to camera equipment. I'm looking into buying additional lenses for my camera but I can't decide between the many lenses available. I like landscapes and portraits. What lenses are really great for close-ups and/or nature/city photography? I'm also on a budget so I'm not venturing into the higher end lenses. Suggestions?

What lenses do yu have now? The 14~42 Zoom lens that comes with the Kit cameras can often be bought for $100 or so. It is not fast, so existing light portraits are not it's game. For that: you might look at an adapter and a manual focus "legacy" lens.

Russian Jupiter-8, with adapter on the EP2. Lens and an Leica 39mm to u43 adapter: ~$50 or so. Many adapters for SLR lenses to u43, the SLR lenses and adapters tend to be bigger.

C41AB421917C4801B200D8C7916BF244.jpg

What is your budget....

What is it about the current lens you don't like or wish it had?

A lot of the decision is personal preference so often its a question that can be answered by examining your own photo habits.

For my prefrences on a budget.

Landscapes = Panasonic 14mm f/2.5
Portraits = Olympus 45mm f/1.8
Nature/city walkaround = Panasonic 14mm + 20mm

Budget is important. A $400 lens is cheap to some, and expensive to others. So, back to "what do you have now, and what is your budget?"

The EPL1 body is running under $150 now, I picked up one new in the box from Cameta camera to replace a lost P&S.

I currently have the lens that came with the camera, the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko. What I don't like about it is the lack of ability to better choose a particular subject I want to focus on and would like a lens that can achieve a more shallow depth of field. In terms of budget, I'd like to shoot for $400 or less. I'll definitely check out the lenses you guys mentioned.

As Brian mentioned, legacy lenses are afordable options to what you want - fast, subject isolation lenses. The Jupiter-8, 50/2 is good & compact with the 39mm to m4/3 adapter but in my experience, although slightly a larger combo, the Minolta 45/2 + MC/MD to m4/3 adapter is even better. My faves, however, are an adapted Minolta 58/1.4 or Russian Helios 44-2, 58/2.

For a native lens, the Oly 45/1.8 is hard to beat.

"fixed-Focal Length" lenses are pretty much that- they do not zoom. Unless you disassemble the optics and change the distance between them. Most people, me not included, do not do that.

So- a zoom lens has the range of focal lengths on it, such as 14~42. Fixed focal length lenses specify one focal length, on the J-8 50mm is shown.

Fixed focal length lenses are usually faster than zoom lenses. This is certainly true of lenses costing less than $1000 (or £1000 if you're my side of the pond). If you want wide aperture settings, then you don't have any choice than to go for a fixed focal length lens.
BrianV suggested in an earlier post that you can get a legacy OM lens & an adaptor. You'll have to use manual focus & aperture settings but it will give the result you are looking for.
I bought my adaptor from Amazon. OM lenses are readily available from e-bay.

The below was taken with my EPL-1 & 50mm f1.4 OM manual lens.

$Flower.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back