On Camera Diffusers/Bouncers

hacksaw35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I have been asked by a friend to go Vegas all expenses paid (yay!), to do some casual photography for his Wedding weekend. I have a D80 and an SB600. I don't want to carry around much equipment, and would like to purchase an on camera diffuser or bouncer and was wondering what to buy. By the way, I have a little homemade bouncer, but it looks unprofessional.

Thanks for the help guys.

Dan

Of course there is always the good old 15 cent stand-by that beats all the tupperware looking plastic. Checkout www.abetterbouncecard.com and then make your own. ;)

IMHO better than paying $75 for tupperware... or if you REALLY want to use something that just makes your flash work harder and put light where your camera is NOT taking pictures, go to any hardware or grocery store and pay 3 bucks for a tupperware bowl, cut an "X" shape in the lid, slip it on and voila...70 dollars saved.

I always use the Lumiquest pocket bouncer when using flash. It not only spreads the light for a more pleasing shot, but it will also completely eliminate red eye. Yes, I did occasionally get red eye without it. The pocket bouncer is still pretty cheap, too, about $20, and it folds flat for easy storage.

I use a Demb Flip-It Pro...it's basically a large bounce card.

I made one of those too. :) It would certainly work 'better' than most of the other accessories when not bouncing the flash.
I haven't used it in a professional setting though, it's a bit too clumsy and 'home made looking'...but maybe I should get over it and just try it out.

Right now I think I am leaning towards the Gary Fong Lightphere. It's got some great reviews on B&H, and I like the fact that the light is being sent all around the room.
A lot of people like the 'Fong Dong' because it doesn't really require you to think. Yes, it spreads the light all around the room...and if there are nice surfaces for the light to bounce off of, then you can get nice soft 'wrap around' lighting. If there aren't any surfaces to bounce off of, then the light is just sent away...wasted. Even when it is bouncing, a lot of it is wasted.
When you waste light, it requires the flash to put out a lot more light, in order to get enough for your photo. This means that it takes longer to recycle the flash and you go through batteries faster.
It can be a great tool in the right circumstance...but it's a poo choice for some other situations.

A lot of people like the 'Fong Dong' because it doesn't really require you to think.

I thought that was ETTL? C'mon now, I don't see how using a GF product is any easier or harder than any other diffuser/bouncer/modifier commercially made or DIY.

My personal favorite is a sheet of white hobby foam that I cut to the size and shape I want, and rubber band to my flash. If you really want to look like a pro use an index card.

One of the selling points of the Lightsphere is that it gives you the same (or similar) light, whether you have the camera/flash in vertical or horizontal position. That's why I like the Demb bounce card, it's made to go onto the side of the flash, rather than the back, so you can bounce up and deflect forward in either port or land, just by tilting the flash head.
I guess I'm just bias when it comes to the LS...I've seen too many photographers using it poorly.

I just had a look at the new Lumiquest Softbox III...as reviewed on Strobist. That looks interesting.

I just had a look at the new Lumiquest Softbox III...as reviewed on Strobist. That looks interesting.

The only problem with Lumiquest products is that with heavy use the plastic begins to split in less than a year. All of my Lumiquest products ended up held together with duct tape. Although I do like their version of the StoFen Omnibouncer; it fits on any flash instead of being shaped for specific models. Go to BH and look up "on camera softboxes". There's a wide variety of softboxes made of nylon, which holds up better than plastic, ranging from 10"x10" on up.

You are tipping me towards the Demb now. Does, the diffuser work pretty good?

Not having used a bouncer/diffuser before, I think I am attracted to the "softbox" ideas, just from the great results of real softboxes and strobes in the studio.

I plan on using my Sigma 17-70 the whole time...wish I still had my Nikon 17-55 2.8, but I needed some money last year :(

Most reactions

Back