On the subject of filters...

theusher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there a better brand, and a worse brand? Usually I've stuck with Hoya thus far because I heard they were pretty much a standard, but I feel like their Pro 1 digital line is pricey for something like a UV filter, around $75. Perhaps it's just sticker shock of going from 52mm filters to 72mm. I assume because I have a wide angle lens in the Sigma 17-70mm I would need a low profile filter to not get vignetting.

The UV would only really be to protect the lens, do you guys think it's worth it? The debate seems pretty wide open about them effecting picture quality and the like. I've very careful with my camera's, but let's be honest stuff can happen. I don't really want to replace a $400 lens.

Or should I save my money and get a Circ Polarizer and ND now instead.:confused:

I personally don't use UV filters to protect my lenses...but I don't have any $1000 lenses either. I have had a polarizer take the brunt of a fall that might have otherwise destroyed the lens.

There are a wide range of prices...that's for sure. As with most things...you get what you pay for. I'm not an expert in filter design...but as far as I know...the expensive one are better. Better coatings is one thing that may be different...better coatings could mean less flare which could mean more contrast.

I've always heard that Hoya is an OK to very good brand. B&W is also a highly regarded (and expensive) brand.

Yeah, I've heard B&W was the best as well. But I'm trying not to spend that much...lol.

I guess to me, $400 for a lens seems like a lot of money, seeing as the DSLR thing is new to me. I guess I'm still in the mode where I'm afraid I'm going to ruin my stuff. Like when you buy a new car, and you go through the paces of parking as far away from other cars as you can...LOL. =)

I know what you mean...these things aren't cheap.

I try to baby my gear as much as I can...but sometimes you just have to think of these things as tools...they are made to be used.

I feel a lot better about it knowing that my camera gear is covered my home owner's insurance.

I'm going to look into putting it on my renters insurance. Hopefully it's possible, but then again I don't know what kind of deductible I have anyway. It might be more than the price of the camera.

Hoya (standard) is a nice filter for the price. Unfortunately when it comes to filters (just like lenses) you get what you pay for.

If you have lens hoods for your lenses I wouldn't worry about using a UV for protection. You'll get more benefit from the hood anyway in most cases.

The only time I'd use a UV or Skylight filter for protection would be if I was shooting at the shore in heavy wind/rain, in a very dusty environment, or if I was at the base of a waterfall in the mist.

Otherwise, use a filter when it's needed & take it off otherwise.

I am exclusively using B + W filters .. but other filters might serve you equally well for less money i suppose ...

oh, and cheap UV filters are great in sandstoms!

(to protect the front lens)

this is when a lenshood does not help :p

and i was once again not able to spell :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back