Online photo proofing

misol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I do online photo proofing for my clients. So far I have been using smugmug but I just am not loving working with them. it seems like everything is too complicated or doesn't work. If it did, I would use them for ordering too. Anyways, does anyone else have a good place to do online galleries for client proofing and perhaps ordering?

Many photographers I know (myself included) use an application called Photocart. It loads onto your website so you never have to send your clients away from your site. It's a one time purchase, so you don't pay fees or dues etc. & you don't pay any commission etc.. It's very customizable and has a ton of options.

The downside is that you have to process the orders yourself (of have someone on your end do it).

Mpix.com doesn't do online proofing, they are a consumer print lab.

Mpix does have a B2B relationship with Zenfolio.com where you can do online proofing.

Photo Proofing will be much easier once ShootProof completes there setup soon.
Online Photo Proofing | ShootProof | Sell Photography Online :: ShootProof.com

ShootProof will have the best viewing for your customers, similar to the interface you are used to with Apple products, e.g. the iPad that was just launched to really enhance Online Photo Proofing. Great thing is there won't be any fees taken out of your sales like most of the other web proofing sites.

Also, there is some good information about Online Photo Proofing here:
Online Photo Proofing ? All photographers need to know about online photo proofing

Instaproofs.com

Free online proofing with a customizable storefront.

Be warry of on-line proofing solutions. In my experience, once the client sees the photograph on-line, there's no longer any interest in the photo. Are they pirating the images off-line? I was using Smug-Mug pro, which disables right-click/save viewing. Clients were either really tech-savvy to get around Smug-Mug's protection, Smug-Mug was selling prints and keeping the profit by not reporting to me, or, as I suspect, the client was happy with being able to see the photo online (and share the link with family and friends).

It's a nice theory, but I'd like to learn how to make it really work before sinking more money into making it work ($150/year for SmugMug Pro at the time). I went back to paper proofs - actually went to bound paper proofs instead of loose proofs - and my sales went up dramatically. However, this was with relatively low volume portrait work, and wouldn't translate well into class photos.

Sorry I don't have a better solution, but I thought I'd chime in about the problems I've experienced with the solution you're looking into. Also, there may be cultural issues that I can't account for - Americans may be less motivated to order a photo they've already seen (and shared) online than your clients.

ShootProof is now available for online photo proofing - you can try it free while in beta, we think it's a great online photo proofing solution. The feedback we've had from photographers so far is that it's more current/modern than some of the other options.

You definitely want to watermark your images before posting them online, it's amazing the number of people that will just print even the most low-res photo - or share on Facebook and never feel the need to get prints. I'd suggest telling your clients at the time of your session (for portraits/weddings, etc) in a nice way (that doesn't make them feel criminal) that all prints can be ordered through you to comply with copyright laws, and if they'd like to distribute your photos any other way that you can discuss your options there.

Back to the online proofing, ShootProof doesn't, just a flat monthly fee based on your volume - if you're only selling prints occasionally, a commission might be a better option, but if you're consistently selling photos, you don't want to give away 15-18% of every sale. Feel free to contact us about testing out ShootProof beta to see if it's a good fit for your photography business.

how long does it take to get your prints? a local team has asked me to do some photos for them. if they like the shots then they are going to use those shots for autograph signings. i am looking to get 500 - 1000 prints done over night or with in a few days.

how long does it take to get your prints? a local team has asked me to do some photos for them. if they like the shots then they are going to use those shots for autograph signings. i am looking to get 500 - 1000 prints done over night or with in a few days.

CNCO, with ShootProof's online photo proofing service, you self-fulfill your orders with whichever lab you choose. You can use a quick lab online or if you're in a huge rush, get prints locally, but it's up to you so you choose the lab you're most comfortable with.

Be warry of on-line proofing solutions. In my experience, once the client sees the photograph on-line, there's no longer any interest in the photo. Are they pirating the images off-line? I was using Smug-Mug pro, which disables right-click/save viewing. Clients were either really tech-savvy to get around Smug-Mug's protection, Smug-Mug was selling prints and keeping the profit by not reporting to me, or, as I suspect, the client was happy with being able to see the photo online (and share the link with family and friends).

It's a nice theory, but I'd like to learn how to make it really work before sinking more money into making it work ($150/year for SmugMug Pro at the time). I went back to paper proofs - actually went to bound paper proofs instead of loose proofs - and my sales went up dramatically. However, this was with relatively low volume portrait work, and wouldn't translate well into class photos.

Sorry I don't have a better solution, but I thought I'd chime in about the problems I've experienced with the solution you're looking into. Also, there may be cultural issues that I can't account for - Americans may be less motivated to order a photo they've already seen (and shared) online than your clients.

one of the ways i make sure that they arent pirating as well as using the pro level smugmug, i also still watermark them... sure it takes a little time, but... if you put the watermark on a mid to low opacity right where something will be a problem if they try to print, or even clone...

i use smug mug pro for my proofing and site as well... makes nice for me beucase i will upload their entire proofgallery onto a password protected gallery, then if i choose to use a few of the photos in my portfolio, i have the immediate option to "collect" them to another gallery without any hassle

Most reactions

New Topics

Back