online photograghy classes

KyleeLL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone ever taken any online photography classes? Did you feel like you learned much? Was it hard to put the lessons into effect without a visual demonstration? I see these classes online and am interested in them but don't want to spend $200 if I would get more out of a "real" class.

Personally, I don't care for the setup of online classes and find it harder to do than a "real" class. Also in a real class I feel people are more likely to ask questions or voice their thoughts than in an online setup.

I am on the search as well.

I took one class with BetterPhoto.com, it will be my last.
I should have dropped out after the first (of four) lessons, but that is my fault.
I filled out the questionaire, but it seems no one cared that I was terribly disappointed.

I've looked at a school in DC (not online however), NYIP, ProudPhotography.com, and several others.

It would be nice to hear other folks experiences...

You guys should just invest on photography books. :) Youtube has a lot of techniques too.

I don't see the benefit of online classes for photography. Are you interested in film or digital? Or do you just want to learn how to take better pictures? You can buy a book on photography (or just look around online) and an art history book and learn the basics pretty easily. If you're interested in film then online courses seem pointless because you'd miss out on all the hands-on (i.e., fun) aspects of photography: developing, printing, and having your work critiqued by your classmates.

Betterphoto gets good reviews. New York Institute of Photography has been teaching via distance learning for decades, I understand they have done a fair job of upgrading to digital. Critique no longer come on tape for exapmle, but a few of their chapters are still a little dated. Not that I have seen them all, my direct familiarity with their program was over 20 years ago

I own Texas Photo Workshops and have worked as a photographer for over 30 years shooting for most of the major magazines, including NGS, Life, Smithsonian, etc. I have always taken at least one workshop every year myself. I was the Photo Editor for Texas Highways Magazine when I decided to leave and start TPW. Without trying to sell you on "my product". Allow me to give you some workshop selection advice that has served me well through the years.
The very first thing you want to consider when choosing a workshop/class is "who is teaching the class". What are their creds? They are going to help shape your photographic eye. You don't want bad or mediocre photographers training you to see they way they do. You want photographers that are tried and true. With the exceptions of a few teachers in college, I recommend staying away from colleges. The teaching talent will not help you for the most part. Again there are a few exceptions out there and again look at their working creds, not academic creds!
Now online classes can be great, again depending on the instructor. Online studies require a lot of self discipline, but if you do the work, ask lots of questions and keep trying in the face of failure you will get more than your moneys worth no matter what the cost! What you miss from the in-person workshop is the personal instructor "one on one" time that is huge and the synergy that comes from the other students. If you can afford taking workshops from A-List photographers in person, that is better than online. Now better than both online and in-person workshops is buying "one on one" time to mentor with very accomplish shooters. It's costly (I charge $900 per day) but well worth the investment. Your education is worth more than all the equipment shooters are buying these days. I'll put my money on an accomplished shooter with a box and a pinhole over any amateur with a 7D any day.
Ok, I like my company the best, www.texasphotoworkshops.com, but other good ones are Picture Perfect School of Photography, Jay Dickman's Firstlight Workshops (NGS considers Jay to be one of their "Photographic Experts" and he has been one of my mentors through the years) and Dave Black, Dave Black Photography - Sports Photography Worldwide. Good Luck!

Digital Photography School has tons of information! I just love that site. I also download a lot of e-books, they end up being very reasonably priced to quite cheap. I very much enjoy reading David DuChemin. Also I am signing up to take the courses at "New York Institute of Photography". It is on sale this month! I have been looking at this for some time now.

There are just so many tutorials for free on the net; why would you pay for that?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back