opinion...D90m or D300 for weddings?

f8photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
what do you think? Tell me why you would choose what you choose.

Technical performance will be pretty similar. If you're on a budget, the D90 will do, but as weddings require you to be quick on your feet, the D300 would be better choice with it's dedicated, analog controls.

In short, the D300 has a lot more buttons actually on the camera which let you directly change settings, whereas the D90 has one (I think) programmable button and many other settings can only be changed by going into the menus. Think ISO, White Balance, shutter mode, etc. If you value the ability to change those easily with one button press, the D300 may be better.

You can do the same on the D90, just with modes, the D90 I had was = to 300. Video might be good for little clips.

From Thom Hogan's review of the D90

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
For those deciding between a D90 and D300, the image quality is close enough to be called the same, so here are some things to note:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pro D300 Differences.....................................Pro D90 Differences[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Faster frame rates possible (to 8 with grip)..........Secure Digital cards same as compacts/Coolpix[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Better weathersealing.....................................Some additional RETOUCH options, some useful[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TIFF capability...............................................Video capability[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CompactFlash and UDMA speeds.........................Simpler Live View capability[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Larger buffer (99 versus 22, 19 versus 9).............Scene exposure modes[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Better AF sensor, covers more area.....................?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]More flexible bracketing, interval shooting.............?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/8000 top shutter speed..................................?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]100% viewfinder..............................................?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Focus fine tune...............................................?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Able to use MF lenses and meter.........................?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Put simply: the D300 leans pro, the D90 leans consumer.
[/FONT][/FONT]

You can do the same on the D90, just with modes, the D90 I had was = to 300. Video might be good for little clips.

You mean the modes on the little top dial? If so, then it's not really the same... I don't own a d90, so if there is a way, then cool, but comparing the controls to my d70 and d200 (similar controls to d90 and d300) It's a world of difference. I shoot motorsports events on weekends and there are shots I would've missed with only the d70. Being able to flip a switch on the d200 to change focus or metering settings for example is more than just a convenience. Of course, this is motorsports which moves faster than weddings... but then, i've never shot a wedding..

don't forget the D90 also has a little bit of an edge in higher ISO capabilities. . .

In short, the D300 has a lot more buttons actually on the camera which let you directly change settings, whereas the D90 has one (I think) programmable button and many other settings can only be changed by going into the menus. Think ISO, White Balance, shutter mode, etc. If you value the ability to change those easily with one button press, the D300 may be better.

That's odd, the D90 I was mucking around with, you could adjust the ISO/Metering/WB on buttons on the camera. . .and there are two dials (adjusting aperture/speed, etc.) as well as a joy stick doo hickey for AF selection. . .

I dunno, I've only used a D300 for at the most 10 minutes (was a friends) and found it to be very similar to the D90. . .

don't forget the D90 also has a little bit of an edge in higher ISO capabilities. . .
Please link your source. My reading is that both the D90 & D300 native ISO range is 200-3200 but can be pulled LO to 100 and pushed HI to 6400. I fail to see where the edge is.

You can do the same on the D90, just with modes
Yes, of course you can, but the D300 lets you change all the important shooting adjustments with dedicated controls... you can even do it all while keeping your eye through the viewfinder. The D90 has most of the dedicated controls you'd need, but there are a few that require you to dick around a menu for, during which you might lose an important shot.

You mean the modes on the little top dial? If so, then it's not really the same... I don't own a d90, so if there is a way, then cool, but comparing the controls to my d70 and d200 (similar controls to d90 and d300) It's a world of difference. I shoot motorsports events on weekends and there are shots I would've missed with only the d70. Being able to flip a switch on the d200 to change focus or metering settings for example is more than just a convenience. Of course, this is motorsports which moves faster than weddings... but then, i've never shot a wedding..

I do not have a D90, but on my D80 it has dedicated buttons for AF, meter modes, WB, ISO, exposure comp, flash comp, and more.

I do not have a D90, but on my D80 it has dedicated buttons for AF, meter modes, WB, ISO, exposure comp, flash comp, and more.

Yeah, most of the basics are within easy reach. It's the little things like the AF settings for AF-S vs AF-C, AF area setting (menus on d70/80/90, outer switches on d200/300), the dx0 have an easy button for the meter mode, the dx00 has a dial right next to your thumb. The Dx0 cameras can easily be used for professional shooting. Two thumb wheels and the menus are quick to access if you're used to them, but the Dx00 cameras really feel more like an extension of yourself when you're in the moment and need to change settings.

Yeah, most of the basics are within easy reach. It's the little things like the AF settings for AF-S vs AF-C, AF area setting (menus on d70/80/90, outer switches on d200/300), the dx0 have an easy button for the meter mode, the dx00 has a dial right next to your thumb. The Dx0 cameras can easily be used for professional shooting. Two thumb wheels and the menus are quick to access if you're used to them, but the Dx00 cameras really feel more like an extension of yourself when you're in the moment and need to change settings.

there is a AF button on the D90 which can be change from AF-S/AF-C/AF-A without going through the menus. Nikon D90 Review: 7. Operation & Controls: Digital Photography Review

The basic settings are all you are going to need. Seriously, in the middle of a wedding are you going to be changing all other "non-basic" settings on the camera? Probably not, otherwise you'll be missing shots. All you would probably need to worry about is the aperture, shutter, exposure comp, flash settings, iso, white balance, etc...which are all available on the D90 camera itself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back