Opinions please!

Luna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Last edited:
you could do it but make a contract that stipulates yours and her expectations.

I would do it, just because I would feel sorry for her.

Do it.

Write a very clear contract. Don't forget to include the format of images you'll be providing, particularly if they can't shell out for prints.

I would not touch it, and here is why,

1) You have no prep time, you do not have enough time to meet with the couple and see what their expectations are.

2) You do not have the experience to do this if you have never shot a wedding before.

3) You probably do not have the required contracts and agreements to prevent yourself from being sued if something goes wrong. (Yes you can sued even if you do not charge them)

4) You need to ask yourself if you have all the right equipment to do this. Backup Camera, Flash, Enough memory cards, and fast glass.

I am not trying to discourage you but if you keep looking the right opportunity will present it self to you.
I had a look at your website and you do have some nice pictures, but you need to ask yourself if you are ready for any problem that could arise, can you work constantly changing lighting conditions, are you willing to spend the days editing and going out to do proofs with the client or have them into your home to go over the proofs?

These would be a few of my concerns. But we all have to start somewhere; you need to ask yourself am I ready. I have been shooting weddings for 5 years now and I would never consider taking one with only 5 days notice.

But what happens if I say no? She might get no photographs at all.

That is a possibility, but with everyone having a point and shoot, they will have some pictures.
If you also look you will find that most photographers that seem to vent over how badly a wedding went, it seems like more often than not it was last minute booking or they discounted their rate because they felt sorry for them, sometime giving a cut rate can cost you more than you can ever predict.

I don't think it would be that bad as long as you do have a contract stating that you are doing it for free to gain experience. But a meeting with them is a must. If they are really persistent on how many photo you are going to take or asking for specifics like that I would say no. I can email you contract / photo idea list if you want. Just to give you a idea of what to do. I did my first 6 or 7 weddings for free and handed over a disc for them to do what they want with. But I did have them sign a contract / model release so I could use what I wanted in my portfolio. I read lots of books but there is nothing like doing a wedding to really learn how to do one.

Thanks for your opinions. I am going to spend the rest of the day thinking about it and I will respond to her tonight. If I do decide to do it, I will spend the next few days studying like crazy! I really want to do it... but at the same time I don't feel ready yet. But what happens if I say no? She might get no photographs at all. I mean, I have been studying wedding photography for the past couple of months because it is something that I'd like to do. But I really wanted to get some experience as an assistant or a second shooter first. If I do it, I have a decent amount of equipment and a person that is willing to be a second shooter (with another dslr camera). I have a few lenses for each camera and I was planning to buy an off camera flash tomorrow. I also have memory cards, batteries, filters, and PhotoShop knowledge and experience...

I don't know how you were doing this I guess you can read books and look at others work but there really is not "studying" for wedding photograpy. This is really something you ned to igure out how to do by going to weddings and lerning with other people. Hands-on is the only way to learn and along side someone is the only way to avoid getting sued which is alot more real a possibility than ou might think.

Well, when I say studying I mean looking at wedding contracts, different poses, looking at lists of suggested equipment and and to-do lists, etc. But I know that's no replacement for going out and doing it. That's why I am so hesitant to do this. I really do want experience as an assistant or a second shooter first because I know that's the only way to really learn, by going out and doing it.

It sounds to me like you have already made up your mind and are looking for some encouragement. I say listen to most of the advise, have a contract and do your best. Just make sure everything is writen out in the contact. Every one has to start some where and it's not like you haven't taken a photo before.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back