Opions about Ken Rockwells website and information

ir0n_ma1den

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1st off: Please don't flame, unless the admins are okay with it.

While researching DSLR's, one of the first sites I stumbled upon was Ken Rockwell's site. I liked it's straight forwardness and his articles telling you that you don't need a $5000 camera. Since I was am an uniformed beginner to the digital world, I saw his 'what camera you should buy if you have this much want to spend this much money' article and took it for truth. I particularly noticed his low-end pick which was the D40. He said that if you want a low-end camera, that is the best one. He even said to skip the D80 and buy the D200 if you want to upgrade.

But anyways, I have noticed that alot of people don't like him for some reason, and I cannot find that reason.

I would recomend him. I check with his reviews before all my purchases

Like everyone, he has opinions.

As long as you keep in mind what you are reading is his opinion, then enjoy his site if you like it.

Personally, I think he is right on a lot of things, and wrong on a lot.

But I don't begrudge the guy his opinion.

I would also recommend him. His site is a good source for information. And he teaches photography, not cameras unlike some tech sites. Just a not though, he is rather biased towards nikon, but nikons are good cameras. Just remember that there are many non-nikon cameras that are just as good as the nikons or better. Eg. My K100D costs less than a D40 (it's at closeout price) but it (IMHO) takes better pictures.

I think a LOT of people poopoo on him because he attempts to take the mystery out of photography and render it in terms that the general public can relate to. I've read pretty much his entire site, and he comes down HARD on the idea that you need to buy the latest and greatest to take photographs - which again, I also thinks doesn't play well with most people.

Indeed the entire site is the world of photography as he sees it - but then, what "review" site isn't -

He takes some awesome pics, but I find he likes to peddle his OPINIONS as facts. Anything I read there, I take with a grain of salt.

So should everyone else,but not just with his site... but all sites. I am not a hater, I am just not a big fan of many of his opinions, thats all.

Beginners do not need to spend $1500 for a D80 to start off with, nor do they absolutely need to upgade to a D200. They can start off with a D200 and accessories that push the invoice over $4500 , like I did, or they can start off with a $150 P&S and get just as much fun from the hobby.

It depends on the person, not his opinion. Also, even though I am a firm Nikonian, I acknowledge that there are other cameras out there besides Nikons that may be better solutions for a particular user's needs.

Opinions, when spread globally like that are taken as gospel... but though they help some, they hinder an equal number of people. That is the difference between opinion and fact.

Learn the difference, reecognize it and like everything in life... take and use what HELPS you... toss the rest in the garbage.

He adores the D40, which I dig and openly support.

I get a lot from his site. He writes well and shares opinions, which is very cool.

A guy like Ken is bound to piss some people off.

He gets wierd about his kid pictures, but its normal for young fathers I suppose.

I agree with a lot of what he say's. Especially about the damn metering in the D80 being off.

I agree with a lot of what he say's. Especially about the damn metering in the D80 being off.

He's right on the money on that one... I always set mine at -0.7 EV

He adores the D40

ya, thats one of the reasons why the D40 is one camera that I am seriously thinking about buying as my first DSLR.

i really like his article 'you can afford anything', its funny and informative.

Like every other site out there, you need to extract the facts from what he writes and form your own opinion.

I enjoy the read, agree on some things, disagree on others. He does make some very good points, so he's worth reading imo.

I fully agree with the D80 thing, especially if you own a D40 there is no real reason to upgrade to a D80 instead of a D200/300. Or get it as a first camera instead and skip the D40 if you want and can afford it.

Just like anyone else, take anything he says with a grain of salt.

his RAW vs. JPEG, I disagree completely, but whatever, he shoots differently than I do. JPEG suffices for him, It would never for me.

Following his recommendations like the bible is the worst thing you can do. You pigeonhole yourself into things you may regret.

eg. the 18-200 is not the best lens ever made.

Good on tech, as he tells it like it is and tells the truth, but he is very opinionated.

Also, does anyone else think that he takes very bad photos? I don't like his photography at all, despite his website being good for information.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back