Ordered an iPad...but I may change my mind?

The misconception that people are having is that it is not designed to replace the laptop nor netbook. I already have a workstation and a macbook pro. I need something else in my bag that solves zero problems like I need a whole in my head

At almost $900, mac book pro is within reach and enough for a decent specd mac mini

It wasn't designed to replace the laptop. It's simply a convenience gadget that is easier and simple to use. Instead of pulling out my lap top to show clients my work and slide show, the ipad does exactly what I need and it makes a solid impression. I wouldn't bash it just because you don't think it's useful. It is definitely a must have for myself, but for yourself maybe not.

Don't get me wrong this is NOT something you can use to absolutely replace my MBP. But when I am sitting having coffee and a scone its much easier to use for emails, web browsing, and sharing images instead of the MBP.

The ipad is an expensive way to play, good for those who have the 'extra' cash.

You know... the guy whose motto is:
" the one who dies with the most toys wins" :mrgreen:

There are plenty of apps that allow for pretty precise editing. We're not talking Photoshop here, but it's possible to edit all the levels and simple actual photo edits.

I have a 32Gb WiFi version and absolutely love it. I keep it in my camera bag anytime I'm out with it and use it every day. It's fantastic for just checking out pictures or even doing simple edits. It's a phenomenal device.

We dont have it here in England yet but people dont seem too interested although I understand there are rumours that demand is high. I think people basically see it as a massive Ipod touch which STILL DOESNT WORK WITH FLASH.

I've had Iphones from day1. Love em! but the Ipad is a luke warm thing.

When I first saw it I thought it would be an excellent thing to have with me for shoots etc.... Reading other comments on here obviously some people agree.... Id love to know what you're editing with but for most guys doing any sort of reportage its a tad pointless. But even then how much storage does it have even for studio shoot? IMO might as well get a laptop

"STILL"?? I guess you haven't heard the word. Steve Jobs doesn't intend on ever supporting it... and in an unusual move Microsoft has backed him up. I'm sure MS Silverlight's competition against Adobe Flash has something to do with it.

I personally... I can't stand flash. Its slows the experience down and crashes my browser occasionally. I had to load "clickToFlash" to prevent the automatic load of those objects until I explicitly click on it to give it permission to load. On the other hand, it is pretty and I haven't seen a widely accepted alternative.

Part of my disappointment comes from the fact that I'm a heavy MAC OS X user who really wants an easily portable "netbook" of sorts from Apple. (I'm currently using an MSI Wind) All I ever get is either Air (same foot print as normal laptops. over priced Limiting) or iTouch/iPhone/iPad (gadgets/devices for consuming content). Neither solve any problems nor make life easier. Grr.

I like Apple the Computing Corporation not Apple the Consumer Electronics Giant it is turning into.

Curious, for those (like me) that are not really interested... at what price point would they have to drop it before you would consider the iPad more seriously?

Me... If they dropped it to the level of those e-readers ($250), I would seriously consider it (WiFI version only). It would suite my needs when I'm at home consuming web content and reading books online. Perhaps, reading it while eating breakfast for the news and traffic. My Droid is a much better while I am out and about.

Last edited:
I admit I dont have a great knowledge of the ipad but know it was meant more as an electronic newspaper or giant Iphone without the phone. But I would think you could do edits if your pics are up loaded to a site like photobucket and you use the websites editing programs. I dont think your editing would be as strong as say a photoshop on a standard laptop or desktop. I wouldnt get it for that purpose. Just my opinion.

Truth is if you haven't used the iPad for a few hours you really shouldn't comment on its usefulness. It's one of the only devices ive ever used that only really makes sense once you've used it for a somewhat extended period of time. It's really an amazing device

Truth is if you haven't used the iPad for a few hours you really shouldn't comment on its usefulness. It's one of the only devices ive ever used that only really makes sense once you've used it for a somewhat extended period of time. It's really an amazing device

In what way do you find it useful as a photographer?

"STILL"?? I guess you haven't heard the word. Steve Jobs doesn't intend on ever supporting it... and in an unusual move Microsoft has backed him up. I'm sure MS Silverlight's competition against Adobe Flash has something to do with it.

I personally... I can't stand flash. Its slows the experience down and crashes my browser occasionally. I had to load "clickToFlash" to prevent the automatic load of those objects until I explicitly click on it to give it permission to load. On the other hand, it is pretty and I haven't seen a widely accepted alternative.

Part of my disappointment comes from the fact that I'm a heavy MAC OS X user who really wants an easily portable "netbook" of sorts from Apple. (I'm currently using an MSI Wind) All I ever get is either Air (same foot print as normal laptops. over priced Limiting) or iTouch/iPhone/iPad (gadgets/devices for consuming content). Neither solve any problems nor make life easier. Grr.

I like Apple the Computing Corporation not Apple the Consumer Electronics Giant it is turning into.

Curious, for those (like me) that are not really interested... at what price point would they have to drop it before you would consider the iPad more seriously?

Me... If they dropped it to the level of those e-readers ($250), I would seriously consider it (WiFI version only). It would suite my needs when I'm at home consuming web content and reading books online. Perhaps, reading it while eating breakfast for the news and traffic. My Droid is a much better while I am out and about.

I didnt know there was now no intention to support flash. Seeing Steve Jobs' keynote speech in January I chuckled to myself when he had to scroll down away from [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n53gCtPffb8"]the flash lego block[/ame]. As a developer, and like you, I dont like it. Nice idea, 10 years ago, but unstable, generally useless for getting found by search etc...

But with so many large highly trafficked sites using flash for content I find this curious and NOT having support does sully the usefulness for me as a mobile device. I know its meant to be Adobe's problem, not apples, but it is irritating to users like me

Most reactions

Back