Panasonic Lumix GH2 Starter Tips Needed!

Usayit, thank you so much for this informative reply and links. What about the Panasonic 14-45? Would you recommend this one for video (and stills but mainly video) indoors?

Can't vouch for it personally... as I dont' have one. I have seen a few people using both 14-45 and 14-42 for video. The 14-42 was the kit lens for the GH2 i believe. The 14-45 is suppose to be optically better than the 14-42 but you most likely only notice on stills not video. One thing I do know from handling them, neither have smooth zoom action that often is the preference for video. It seems the lens that was designed with video in mind was the 14-140mm f/4-5.6... better range... smoother rings... and silent motor.

I personally am mostly a still photographer with little video. My primary micro 4/3 camera is the Olympus OMD E-M5 and its kit lens was also designed for video 12-50mm. I also have the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 as my other, faster zoom used for indoors... but it is not inexpensive.

Yohoooo! I returned the GH2 and placed order on the GH3 body only. They will get it from BC (Richmond) probably during this coming week :smileys:

Now I am lens-less looool What should I do? I need advice and answers to my questions up (will summarize again):

What is a cheap starter lens for me in the range of 100-250 maximum that would work with the GH3 and not loose features like AF and produce good quality images and (mainly) indoor/interview videos? :mrgreen:

Brunerww, you suggested the segma 19 mm but I just want to make sure it works wit the features mentioned? And, if not, would a cheap Canon lens or other brand from my local store be produce good quality? Is all what I will loose the AF?

Congratulations! I think this was the right decision, given your feelings about the GH2's noisy shutter and JPEG image quality.

Here are a few quotes from the customer reviews of the GH3 at B&H that may help to reinforce the wisdom of your decision:

- "I switched over to micro four thirds from having a Nikon D7000 for a year. Bottom line is, I'm happy I did"

- "
I pre-ordered this camera and received the two I ordered and immediately had to start shooting a music video for a band. The performance of this camera has blown me away..."

- "
I bought it for video use and I've been blown away by how good this camera is, it's so good I ended up selling my 5D Mark III (Which I also used for video) as the GH3 outperforms it in almost every way for video use."

And usayit is correct, the Sigma 19mm is a system lens and will give you full autofocus and auto-aperture control with your new GH3.

And with your next $140-$150, you can get the Sigma 30mm f2.8.

He is also correct about the 14-45. It is indeed a better lens than the 14-42 - but both are relatively slow (f3.5-5.6) and if you are going to spend the money for the 14-45, you might as well buy both Sigmas.

I am prejudiced in favor of faster lenses :)

Part of this GH3 video was shot with the inexpensive Sigma 19mm f2.8:

[video=vimeo;55861407]http://vimeo.com/55861407[/video]

Best,

Bill

P.S. Please note in the comments section that the shooter (Kristoffer Davidsson) switched to the GH3 from a Canon 60D and is "...super happy with the camera!" :)

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What is a cheap starter lens for me in the range of 100-250 maximum that would work with the GH3 and not loose features like AF and produce good quality images and (mainly) indoor/interview videos? :mrgreen:

Is there a kit lens with the GH3? The current kit lens, 14-45mm (not to be confused with the 14-42), is well liked among many Panasonic shooters with many claiming it to be one of the best kit lens of any format. I can't vouch for it as I don't have one. Sure you can find one used somewhere. I see many video shooters working with adapted manual lenses (vintage) since they are damped properly for smooth control. Micro 4/3 lends itself to being easily adapted to many different lenses of most about any type of mount. Of course, no AF. Additional issues with Canon EOS lenses (or any other electronic aperture lens), because you have no control over aperture.

Usayit, thank you for the detailed explanation. If you mean by "Is there a kit lens with the GH3?" it is coming with any lens, no. I am buying the body only for $1294 from a Canadian local store. I would have to buy my lenses on my own and they sell only ones I could not afford now (14-140) for about $700, and others in the range of 500 and up. But I was not even impressed with their reviews like the 14-42. That's why I will buy my lenses from elsewhere. :)

Usayit, thank you so much for this informative reply and links. What about the Panasonic 14-45? Would you recommend this one for video (and stills but mainly video) indoors?

Can't vouch for it personally... as I dont' have one. I have seen a few people using both 14-45 and 14-42 for video. The 14-42 was the kit lens for the GH2 i believe. The 14-45 is suppose to be optically better than the 14-42 but you most likely only notice on stills not video. One thing I do know from handling them, neither have smooth zoom action that often is the preference for video. It seems the lens that was designed with video in mind was the 14-140mm f/4-5.6... better range... smoother rings... and silent motor.

I personally am mostly a still photographer with little video. My primary micro 4/3 camera is the Olympus OMD E-M5 and its kit lens was also designed for video 12-50mm. I also have the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 as my other, faster zoom used for indoors... but it is not inexpensive.

Usayit, I really appreciate your input. This reinforces that my next more "expensive" lens might be the 14-140 for video and outdoors too.

Yohoooo! I returned the GH2 and placed order on the GH3 body only. They will get it from BC (Richmond) probably during this coming week :smileys:

Now I am lens-less looool What should I do? I need advice and answers to my questions up (will summarize again):

Brunerww, you suggested the segma 19 mm but I just want to make sure it works wit the features mentioned? And, if not, would a cheap Canon lens or other brand from my local store be produce good quality? Is all what I will loose the AF?

Congratulations! I think this was the right decision, given your feelings about the GH2's noisy shutter and JPEG image quality.

Here are a few quotes from the customer reviews of the GH3 at B&H that may help to reinforce the wisdom of your decision:

- "I switched over to micro four thirds from having a Nikon D7000 for a year. Bottom line is, I'm happy I did"

- "
I pre-ordered this camera and received the two I ordered and immediately had to start shooting a music video for a band. The performance of this camera has blown me away..."

- "
I bought it for video use and I've been blown away by how good this camera is, it's so good I ended up selling my 5D Mark III (Which I also used for video) as the GH3 outperforms it in almost every way for video use."

And usayit is correct, the Sigma 19mm is a system lens and will give you full autofocus and auto-aperture control with your new GH3.

And with your next $140-$150, you can get the Sigma 30mm f2.8.

He is also correct about the 14-45. It is indeed a better lens than the 14-42 - but both are relatively slow (f3.5-5.6) and if you are going to spend the money for the 14-45, you might as well buy both Sigmas.

I am prejudiced in favor of faster lenses :)

Part of this GH3 video was shot with the inexpensive Sigma 19mm f2.8:

[video=vimeo;55861407]http://vimeo.com/55861407[/video]

Best,

Bill

P.S. Please note in the comments section that the shooter (Kristoffer Davidsson) switched to the GH3 from a Canon 60D and is "...super happy with the camera!" :)

Brunerww, thanks for the encouragement. These reviews are really good. I know there are some negative reviews but I noticed mostly they were about certain settings in it for certain situations like one of the comments under the video you posted if you noticed: "Have you noticed a jerky picture when panning your GH3 from side to side? It seems to be a problem in MANY if not all GH3 videos shot in ALL-I 72mbs - just like in your video here..." But I think it was a specific issue nothing wrong with the camera in general.
That video was really good and as he said out of the camera quality! People are doing amazing things with these GH's.
Thanks about the Sigma 19mm tip. It was down for me between it and the Pan 14-45mm. As I am mainly interested in video, I think I will place an order now on the Sigma. Now my final question. What advantages are there of owning both Sigmas in the offer above (19mm and 30mm for $199)? Why would one need them both rather than having for example the 30mm alone?

Also, what about versatility? The 19 mm and the 30mm are fixed zoom. I can't zoom at all, right? Wouldn't the Pan 14-45 be better in versatility regard? Just asking :)

Edit: Btw, I just checked delivery methods on B&H. The 2-6 days ground shipping will cost me about $35. SO total would be $235 for the 2 lens offer ($275 if I went with expedited shipping 2-4 business days). On Amazon 19mm lens (or the 30mm) is $199 with free shipping.

Edit 2: Read the excellent reviews on the 19mm on the Amazon page below. But one mentioned it has some "greenish" "glare" for indoor video in front of a lamp (?). Not sure how bad is that:
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-19mm-F2...&sr=1-1&keywords=sigma+19mm+micro+four+thirds

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Someone on another forum gave me heck saying I shouldn't have invested in GH3 and buy any of these lenses and rather should buy the GH2 with an "expensive" lens :( I know that this is a better plan which I tried. But I couldn't settle with the body of the GH2 and was no sense keeping it with expensive lenses. I rather get good body and collect "expensive" lenses gradually in coming year. Does that make sense? I am now having second thoughts that I should get a more professional lens :( More confirmation is needed. I am worried I will succumb and get an expensive lens breaking my budget all together :) Or, is it reasonable to get a "used" professional lens?

I found this video made with GH3 with Sigma 19mm:

[video=vimeo;58258611]https://vimeo.com/58258611[/video]

Last edited:
Hi MidEastGal - the choices are really:

1. Inexpensive manual lenses with adapters - but manual focus and manual aperture setting is hard work. I don't recommend this for new shooters unless people know what they're getting into and can't afford anything else. Some people shoot manual exclusively, but it is too much work for me. I hardly use my old Nikon and Canon lenses on the GH cameras any more.

2. Inexpensive Sigma 30mm and 19mm system lenses - fixed focal length, but relatively fast at f2.8, these autofocusing lenses produce high quality images for not a lot of money.

3. Inexpensive Panasonic/Olympus system lenses, new or used - yes, it's nice to have a zoom, but these lenses are slow and perform poorly in low light. They pretty much all start at f3.5, with the 14-140 starting at f4.0 (slow, slow, slow - leading to blurry pictures, which was the issue you had with the GH2 and this lens).

4. Expensive, specialized manual lenses with adapters (e.g., the incredible Nokton 25mm f0.95) - nice, but any of these will break your budget.

5. Very expensive Panasonic/Olympus system lenses (e.g., Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 or 35-100 f2.8) - each of these lenses cost as much as or more than a GH3. I'd love to have both of them, but I'd have to sell my car :)

I still recommend option 2. It will give you the best value for your money, in my view.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill

MidEastGal,

Just wanted to point out an announcement made by Sigma today:

Sigma Corporation announces four new lenses at CP+ Camera and Photo Imaging Show 2013 | sigmaphoto.com

" All three DN lenses incorporate telecentric optical designs and a linear, auto focusing motor that >>>ensures accurate and quiet focusing for video recording<<<. They also boast metal exteriors and a simply shaped focus ring, with varying textures to distinguish each part of the lens. In addition, DN users can choose between a black or silver finish to match their favorite equipment."

Looks like you may want to consider following up with them on a release date...

Hi MidEastGal - the choices are really:

1. Inexpensive manual lenses with adapters - but manual focus and manual aperture setting is hard work. I don't recommend this for new shooters unless people know what they're getting into and can't afford anything else. Some people shoot manual exclusively, but it is too much work for me. I hardly use my old Nikon and Canon lenses on the GH cameras any more.

2. Inexpensive Sigma 30mm and 19mm system lenses - fixed focal length, but relatively fast at f2.8, these autofocusing lenses produce high quality images for not a lot of money.

3. Inexpensive Panasonic/Olympus system lenses, new or used - yes, it's nice to have a zoom, but these lenses are slow and perform poorly in low light. They pretty much all start at f3.5, with the 14-140 starting at f4.0 (slow, slow, slow - leading to blurry pictures, which was the issue you had with the GH2 and this lens).

4. Expensive, specialized manual lenses with adapters (e.g., the incredible Nokton 25mm f0.95) - nice, but any of these will break your budget.

5. Very expensive Panasonic/Olympus system lenses (e.g., Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 or 35-100 f2.8) - each of these lenses cost as much as or more than a GH3. I'd love to have both of them, but I'd have to sell my car :)

I still recommend option 2. It will give you the best value for your money, in my view.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill

Brunerww, when you put it this way....! :) Thanks again for rounding the issue in a concise manner. I will place the order on the Sigma 19 and 30mm now. I feel good about this.

Usayit, thanks for pointing out this info! Interesting, something to look for in the coming months I guess. I cannot wait for it at this moment though because I am lens-less :) Plus, the new ones might be much more expensive in the beginning. I'll wait and see when people start using them ;) Those updates they mentioned in your link are cool, especially enhanced video performance and the color and texture feel.

Amazing price for the Sigma's here at B&H (200$ for both the 19mm and 30mm f/2.8) : Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens and 30mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens Kit B&H

So... 100$ each! :) If only I had cash right now... I'm just hoping to get a similar price in 2 months...

Balinus, thanks. Yes it is amazing price. I was just double-checking one more time at McBain in Canada and they said they cannot match B&H offers. But he said I might have problems with the warranty buying from the US. I just had a chat with a B&H sales rep to check (they connect to chat so quick!). Here is the reply:

"It looks as though the 19mm f/2.8 comes with a 1-year international warranty (plus three years extended in the USA). The 30mm f/2.8 only looks to come with a one-year warranty. As it doesn't specify it would likely be a USA only warranty. You would want to check with Sigma locally to see if they would honor the USA warranty."

B&H would take it back if there was something wrong with it out of the box and replace it for me.

I called Sigma (Canada). They said US warranty applies here but I have to send it back to US! Shipping and all on me. Sigma has 10-year warranty for fixing and repair but have to pay $50. I'd never use that if I bought them for $200. Now the interesting part is the following: Sigma Canada told me to be careful because they have been having complaints from customers who bought sigma lenses from "major" US sellers and turned out defective because he says those sellers depend on the fact that Canadian buyers would not return stuff easily for shipping complications.

I wonder if any of you guys in Canada who bought lenses from B&H had an experience to share?

Another question: Should I ask B&H for a grey market version? Never heard of that before now. It is supposed to make the local company here cover the warranty without me sending it to US again in case.

Seems too complicated. The Sigma 19mm or 30mm here in a camera store is $219. But I have no problems of coverage and returns in case and all that. What you guys think?

Last edited:
Hey guys, My GH3 arrived. I will be starting a new thread (again) as this one is titled "GH2 starter tips needed"!!! :) I will try to ask my questions about the GH3, its lenses, settings, etc. in the new thread "GH3 Experience Tips" :)

By the way, I don't think I will buy from the B&H at this point as I am not sure about the warranty or anything in that regard.

Most reactions

Back