Paying for Your Education in Photography

Would love to take a class or course!! ....Just as soon as I win the lottery....it's on my list of things to do!

:O)

i think its good cause it lets you experiment with different types of photography. Also, its great if you lack the basic knowledge.

I'm gonna be taking studio photography and photojournalism next quarter. goooood stuff.

I want to take a course too, I would like an online course though, as I travel alot. If they taught me theory and then gave me assignments, I could do all the hands on stuff myself, as I'm pretty handy (pun intended to the fullest). anyone know of any serious (real) online universities where I could get a BA in photography?

Studying it right now, paying way too much. Love prac, theory = death

The theory is interesting and important, but I equate that to in music playing for yourself in a closed room. You have to play in front of people to make music, you have to take pictures for someone to see (even if it is only yourself), to "make" photography.

I'm currently taking my first evening course. It's basically "What are all those buttons on your camera and what do they do". I'm enjoying it and looking forward to more. What I would really like is a course where you show your photos, and everyone tells you what is wrong with them. I think that's where you can really learn.

I've been taking classes at my local community classes to help me get the hang of the technical aspect of photography. I have a couple books on it too, but I find it helps to have someone who can help you understand the controls and be more hands on, with critiques and such.

I agree that the classes and books are great for the technical things, but the hardest part is getting good, solid critique. I'm getting some very good critique from this forum though.

I agree that the classes and books are great for the technical things, but the hardest part is getting good, solid critique. I'm getting some very good critique from this forum though.

So, paying a little bit is fine, but for critique you won't?

No I think he said that getting good honest and constructive feedback was something that people can pay for, but for which:

a) you can get for free from communities and other photographers
b) is something that you can't garantee from a course till your on it.

The only bonus I can see (and it is a big one) is that a course with a fieldwork component can give you help and learning in the field - whilst websites and communities can only help after the event.

No I think he said that getting good honest and constructive feedback was something that people can pay for, but for which:

a) you can get for free from communities and other photographers

If you're willing to accept the mediocre.

Last edited:
Sounds like a crap shoot to me too. I'm a firm believer in, "You get what you pay for."

hey! Fathers are allowed to be pessemistic
but Grandparents aint!

its not all bad, but as I said it depends who you get - get someone good or someone who says/askes the right things and you are away - get someone bad and its no good. Paying for it won't garantee this in any way - all it will do is mean that you might end up very out of pocket if you get a bad teacher!

its not all bad, but as I said it depends who you get - get someone good or someone who says/askes the right things and you are away - get someone bad and its no good. Paying for it won't garantee this in any way - all it will do is mean that you might end up very out of pocket if you get a bad teacher!

You don't research your resources?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back