pentax k1000 vs canon ae-1

i've asked an italian seller from rome who's selling his k1000 for 130 euros (+ shipping) for pictures and a video of his camera, (still hoping the random generator of 480sparky picks me LOL but in the likely chance it wont i have been looking around for cheaper options in italy)
i have asked for a video and a picture of the viewfinder to see if everything is functioning and everything seems okay, but could i just get opinions of you guys? if everything seems functioning
im completely new at this so for me it seems totally fine but i could be wrong :aiwebs_016:
KakaoTalk_Photo_2016-12-16-20-11-56_26.jpeg

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_Photo_2016-12-16-20-11-56_26.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2016-12-16-20-11-56_26.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 138
Is it a AE-1 or AE-1 Program? In my opinion the AE-1 Program is much better then the AE-1

The meter is centered. Is that because the seller adjusted the camera so it's centered, or does it stay there no matter what the camera settings are?

If the latter................ RUN!

Could be a dead battery. When I come across these the battery is almost always dead. The meter has no switch so it keeps draining the battery unless the lens cap is on or the camera is kept in the dark.

My K 1000 was bought in 1977 and still works fine. A thank! And you can find superb and cheap lenses, like the SMC Pentax 45mm f2, which has a very good sharpness !

Could be a dead battery. When I come across these the battery is almost always dead. The meter has no switch so it keeps draining the battery unless the lens cap is on or the camera is kept in the dark.

Either way, it would be wise to investigate. Dead Meter Syndrome really affects the value of the camera.

The meter is centered. Is that because the seller adjusted the camera so it's centered, or does it stay there no matter what the camera settings are?

If the latter................ RUN!
I'm worried that it could be the latter :aiwebs_016: thanks for the advice! i'll need to message him again later about that if i decide i want to try and buy it
i have a feeling it could just be stuck there x.x

thanks for the reply, if the battery is dead, is the light meter always stuck in the center?

thanks for the reply, if the battery is dead, is the light meter always stuck in the center?

Yes, the needle stays dead center if the battery is dead. If it's just a matter of changing the battery, it's a very easy fix. Remember, though, that the K1000 functions perfectly without a battery. Other than the meter, it's entirely mechanical. Even if the meter is totally dead, if you have a smart phone, then you can download a light meter app for free and use that instead.

Of course, it's much more convenient to have the camera meter working and so it would make sense you want to check on that. Just for me, personally, though - it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Yes. It uses one LR44 or equivalent button cell battery which is inexpensive and easy to find. If you keep a lens cap on your camera when not in use the battery will last a long time.

Yes, the needle stays dead center if the battery is dead. If it's just a matter of changing the battery, it's a very easy fix. Remember, though, that the K1000 functions perfectly without a battery. Other than the meter, it's entirely mechanical. Even if the meter is totally dead, if you have a smart phone, then you can download a light meter app for free and use that instead.

Of course, it's much more convenient to have the camera meter working and so it would make sense you want to check on that. Just for me, personally, though - it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.
thanks so much for explaining it, yeah i guess it shouldn't be a deal breaker. im desperate for this camera but the prices are so steep here in italy so im still waiting to see if i win 480sparky's giveaway LOL :1219: or if i keep looking and can find a better deal

Most reactions

New Topics

Back