adversus

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.adversus.us
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never shot people before, chalk it up to always feeling like the creepy guy taking pictures of strangers syndrome.

Here's some shots taken at the local farmer's market (across the street from me, which is handy). Taken with my 300mm so I didn't intrude too much. Like I said, first time shooting a live subject other than animals, so any feedback appreciated :)

#1:
4761577494_6fd84d883f_z.jpg

#2:
4760950697_6822b49c2d_z.jpg

#3:
4760962283_ccdf7dc0bb_z.jpg

#4:
4760946857_2e7126607b_z.jpg

I personally like them. Especially #1
Sure someone more advanced than me may come in here pointing things out but you got my vote :)

Great job for your first time!

I'd suggest deleting #4, but then others wouldn't have the distinct pleasure of seeing how creepy it is, especially considering it was shot by some dude with a 300mm lens.

:meh:

I like #1 for the fact that the main headline of the paper says "...SACRIFICE" and my eye is mainly drawn to the wedding ring....

~Tom

Thanks all!

#1 is my favorite as well, here's a larger picture of the total scene from #1:

4760940645_78c7eac7b7_z.jpg

I think you did a good job. I wouldn't be a creeper next time using a 300mm lens...lol I would just walk around and take pics. Depending on how walking around taking pictures works you might want to stick with the 300mm lens. It is cool how you can almost look down from above of sorts and take a good picture sometimes walking around people get in the way of your photo

Next time leave the 300mm at home. Put on the 18-55 and set it between 24 and 35mm. One, you will learn that most people don't bite and two, you'll be a lot less creepy because you are not hiding from the people you shoot.

And you'll probably get more, better photos since you won't have people walking between you and your subjects, especially in a busy place.

It will also help if you learn to shoot fast. And if you really keep worrying about people's reaction, learn to shoot blind. It's not that hard.

I just walk right up and take pictures of people that I think would make a good photo. If you're confident about it, they won't care (well, that may not be entirely true, but I have NEVER had someone give me a dirty look or whatever from taking a picture of them). A lot of times I'll even show them the result so they can see how good they look on camera.

Taking pictures from far away is total creeper, infinitely worse than going right up to them.

I agree that 1 I think is best. Not to say the rest are terrible, they just don't do it for me I guess.

Thanks all for the feedback. I can definitely see where the guy with the big lens has more of a creep factor than getting up-close and personal :)

I'll try the 18-55 next week maybe and see how it goes!

Keep shooting with the 300. Using a wide-angle lens on 1.5x gives deep depth of field, all the way from the foreground to the background, and gives that same old, dull,boring cheap-lens look that the 18-55 kit lens is (in)famous for. It makes everything look like it was shot with a digital Instamatic.

Thanks all for the feedback. I can definitely see where the guy with the big lens has more of a creep factor than getting up-close and personal :)

I'll try the 18-55 next week maybe and see how it goes!

Do that and show us the results.

Few people really get annoyed but if you run into one of them just say sorry and move on to another photo. Or you can try and do what I do when I feel slow and easy...

I just talk to them and tell them why I find them worthy of a shot. Few people resist the appeal of being worthy, lol. And I've met some great people this way. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back