Photo editing software opinions

WILCOX2005

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I personally use paint shop pro x6. I have been using it for a long time. I have not been able to get very good at using photo shop plus the price is out of my budget. Now that it is online it makes it even harder as I don't have net in the house. I would rather a disk over being on line.

What do you use and why?

I use Photoshop cc and Lightroom cc. I started using Photoshop Elements, went to Lightroom 4 and then finally made the upgrade to CC when I got a new MacBook Pro.

I use it because I've become come familiar and comfortable with it. With PS and LR, there really isn't much you can't do, except make the image actually come to life. The final reason is that there is so training material out there that is cheap or free for PS and LR.

When I picked up a camera after many years of point and shoot and decided to see if my eyes from the 80s were still working, I knew I would have to find something better than Paintshop Pro 6. I had used that for a while (and previous versions) and even tried Photoshop Elements. But when it dawned on me that what I saw in my mind could not be fully realized with PSP, I downloaded a free trial of Lightroom. Soon I was hooked into the Adobe for Photographers plan and no regrets.

I haven't paid for any training. That's not to say that I wouldn't, but I haven't exhausted the available free videos and other training from reputable sources yet. I'm still learning and I think I am getting better. I don't think for one minute that I could get the results I want with PSP.

Jim

I used to use photoshop CS6 but recently got my hands on lightroom CC and have been digging it so I'll probably stick to it!

I used Pixelmator (yeah, I'm on a Mac) and just updated to Nikon's Capture NX-D.

I have used PSP since PSP3.I now have 17.I also have Photoshop Elements 13,and Lightroom 4.Lightroom 4 is by far my go to for tonal
adjustments,and PSP/Photoshop for graphics editing.I've always been happy with PSP.The reason I bought elements,was,mainly curiosity,and the fact that it integrates with Lightroom.I suspect there is not much difference (for how I use them) between PSP and Photoshop,so I tend to use PSP more than Photoshop,due to familiarity.I find it difficult to serve 2 masters.I suppose,eventually I'll do the CC thing,but have a feeling I won't be impressed enough to warrant another monthly bill.

I used to use Paint Shop Pro, less for its photo retouching and more for its vector based drawing, as I did a lot of design work. As my focus shifted more towards photography though, PSP became a bit less useful.

I bought Lightroom 3 when it came out, upgraded to 4 when it came out, and then went for the Photoshop CC + Lightroom CC deal when it became available, and that's the best thing I've ever done.

If you're budget-conscious and can't do the $10/month for the CC package, you could give GIMP a whirl. It's free, and fairly popular so there are plenty of tutorials out there. I find it more cumbersome and less intuitive than Photoshop though.

I use Digital Photo Professional. It came with my camera but eventually I would like to get photoshop.

Most reactions

Back