Photo Editing Software

Alicia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are there ways of getting photoshop cheaper? Or are there other softwares out there that do a decent job? I DEFINITELY can't afford photoshop right now.

Gimp has many of the same features as Photoshop. I use it since I can't bring myself to spend more on software than I did on my hardware. Try Gimp and you'll get some pretty nice results.

Yeah I heard that GIMP does a nice job.

But here are ways that me and people I know have gotten it for less.
- usually you can get student discounts (no good if you are not a student)
- Your school's computer graphic/photo class might have the dics you can borrow(no good if you don't go to a school)
- See if your local library has it, or can order it in from another library

Hope this helps

Obviously Photoshop CS3 is the most powerful, but you can get some excellent results from other software. What kind of a camera do you own?

For a Nikon, CaptureNX is very good.

A few other pretty good software are:
- Bibble Pro
- Adobe Elements
- DxO Optics
- Adobe LightRoom

Alicia, what are you looking to achieve? Are you just looking for a good photo editing program or do know that you NEED Photoshop? There are plenty of affordable options out there depending on what your needs are. :)

Thanks for the replies. I have a Nikon D80 ON THE WAY!! Can't wait. Anyway, I don't know I really NEED Photoshop. I've just seen other people do nice things with it and I wasn't sure what was comparable but for less $$ or even free. My husband will chop my head off it I spend any more money right now after forking out for the camera...haha. What kind of software if any will allow me to take out backgrounds and change colors of parts of the photo? Brighten it up or tone it down with detail? I just want some options, make my photos look as proffessional as I can with out spending many more hundreds/thousands on lighting and backdrops and flashes right now.

Thanks!

Of all the 3rd part softwares, none will serve you better than CaptureNX, Alicia, especially if you want to shoot RAW (which you should!). It is the only one that can access a LOT more of the RAW data than any of the other software and take advantage of this. It can do a lot for you for a reasonable $ cost.

That said, its not Photoshop. If someone told me that I could not use Photoshop, I would be VERY satisfied using nothing but CaptureNX and the separate module of NoiseNinja, and still have very impressive pictures.

Welcome to the Nikon camp, you picked an awesome camera!

At home I'm starting to use photoshop but at work I like to play with Gimpshop which is much like the gimp just a little different you can basically do most of the same stuff with it that u can with Photoshop. Plus its free.

I find the Photoshop Elements has pretty much everything the non-professional needs and more. I've been using it regularly for a couple years and still haven't learned everything it can do, by a long shot. It will only run you around $80.

Another satisfied Nikon Capture NX user here, but it has its limitations (not a pixel editor).

Enjoy your D80... now how about you take a picture of your husband carrying a big axe?

I just thought of something... sometimes, places like Future Shop or Best Buy have 1/2 price versions of software for students or educational uses. If you have a student card, you may be able to get a 50% discount somewhere for your Photoshop.

I'm always amazed in these threads that rarely noone mentions PaintShop Pro. It's does everything Photoshop can do for 60 bucks.

Another satisfied Nikon Capture NX user here, but it has its limitations (not a pixel editor).

Enjoy your D80... now how about you take a picture of your husband carrying a big axe?

I'll be sure to get a pic of that for you!

Most reactions

Back