Photo Series of Model - Heidi

Katz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Had my first model shoot the other day and would like to know what you think! The first one is soft due to compression and photobucket issues - the others seem to have uploaded fine though :/

SeniorHeidiLayingRS.jpg

HeidiPortrait3RS.jpg

GlamourHeidiRS-1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know much about your Photobucket issues but i always resize my photos in photoshop before uploading them, landscape 800x??? and portrait ???x600 - i don't have a problem that way, although i do lose a little sharpness but not enough to detract from the photo.. i don't know i just don't trust them to resize it for me. Hope this helps unless that's what you already do.

C&C per req:

EXIF Data said:
Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 1/800 sec, f/5, ISO 800, Compensation: -4/3
Right off the bat, I see a couple of issues here. First, you ISO is set very high; the D70s does perform acceptably at ISO 800, but nowhere near as well as it does further down. Given that your shutter speed was 1/800, you could easily have reduced your shutter speed to around 1/200 (more than fast enough to freeze any minor movement, even 1/125 would work) and dropped your ISO to less noisy 300ish.
With respect to the image itself, one of the things that sets great images apart from good images is the "little things". In this case the exposure is nice and even, no extrem shadows or highlights, however a fill-flash to provide some catchlights in her eyes would have given a lot more life to her. As well, you have an ideal background, but because it's sharply focused it fights with the subject for attention. Your apeture was almost wide I open, so the best option would be to have moved the model further awya from the background, and had it nice and soft green. If you have one, a telephoto lens would help, as it has a shallower DoF than wider-angle lenses.

2. Two concerns that I have with this image are: (1) The subject is not looking at the camera. Her expression says to me, "Oh brother, how much longer do I have to put up with this?" Not sure if that was the intention or not, but it's the effect that I get. (2) are the over-bright highlights in the upper LH corner of the image; a minor issue, but a distraction nonetheless. Refer to #1 for comments with respect to DoF and backgrounds.

3. I think enough has been said about this particular image.

Overall, very nice. I much prefer 1 and 2, but tastes vary. Keep working at it.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

Thanks for the tips - I will play with my settings more. I also never had issues with photobucket until now, so I will have to see what happened. I appreciate your comments.

Bring down the ISO. #1. if you shoot outside try keep it all grass or all garden, mixing the two didn't work in that shot.

#2. That shot missed the beauty of the eyes, too many bright areas in the background and the shirt was all wrong.

#3. The texture is wrong for the shot, A woman is soft and beatiful, not grainy

Keep shooting away, it's how we all learned when we started out;)

1) ISO is way too high. Shoot at low ISO with a faster shutter speed. Lighting is even, but I think thats not good in this situation. I'd like to see sunlight across her face and hair. Her pose is wrong. It does nothing for the shot. The composition, once again, very P&S. It doesn't seem like you're taking the time to make the shot anything special, and she's poking out where it seems attention should be drawn (her leg position). Very myspacey...

2) P&S comp again. She doesn't stick out from the background at all. Everything seems out of focus. And a patterned shirt with a busy background? Never going to work. She isn't playing to the camera at all either. It looks like she was caught off guard.

3) Enough has been said

Last edited:
Issues' aside the model is gorgeous and seems comfortable with you taking pictures. That speaks well for you. keep shooting... I would love to see more of this model. My first model attempt the other day went FAR worse and I intend to get her back out very soon.

Your model is very reminiscent of Mila Kunis. If it is her tell her "I LOVE HER LONG TIME!"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back