Photographing Graveyards

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
There are lots of old churches around here. There is one virtually at the end of my road, one in the town centre and two others no more than ten minutes away by car. I'd like to take pictures of the head stones and brickwork. But I'm a bit worried with regards to the law and respect. Has anyone taken pictures of this sort of thing? I would ideally ask the vicar of each one, but that would take a lot of work because they're hardly there from what I can tell. Would you just go in there and snap away, or would you ask?

:)

Hey Ferny, I live in East Anglia too, it's amazing how many Graveyards there are around, it's a miracle there's anybody left! :lol: To be honest I can't see how taking photographs of a Graveyard would be disrespectful, it's not like you're vandalising or shouting and drinking beer while you're there so I wouldn't worry.

I've done it before in a Russian graveyard in Tallinn. I felt a bit odd doing it, but I don't think it caused any problems and I will go back again to take more soon (when it starts snowing again!)

The gravestones here are a lot different to those in the UK

Here is one of my efforts:

http://www.zone.ee/kraken4/a/imagepages/image1.html

press refresh if the link does not work first time.
Andrew

I don't see that there should be any problem ferny, I live in Kent and have taken many a snapshot of graveyards and churches without anyone making a fuss.

Ok, I'll pop along at some point. If I get my collar felt I'll blame you lot. :lol:

That really is an unusual headstone, andrewaaa5. Kind of eerie to.

I've done it a bunch. I like cemetery art. :D At least the models don't talk back or complain about sun in their eyes.

And then there are those graveyards where it's an everyday occurence. I was in Halifax a few months ago at the graveyard where a lot of the Titanic victims were buried. I was not the only one with a camera!

If you're taking these pictures during the day I can't see why it'd be a problem (unless they aren't open to the public which I can't imagine any cemetary being). If you're doing it after dark though (which I know I would do if I were going to take pictures of graves!) it'd probably be illegal. If you do it that way though, just don't do anything to draw attention to yourself (using a flash, parking your car in an obvious spot, kicking over headstones, etc) and you should be fine.

Thanks for all the replies.:)

I know they're public and I know headstones are there for a reason. To publicly record a persons burial (and to give a place to mourn). But I wasn't sure about the legalities and also if it was disrespectful. I don't feel that it is really, but you know what some people can be like.

That thing about it being illegal during the night is interesting, BrettG. Do you mean that the graveyards are locked up at night so entering is trespassing? Or is it illegal to enter them at night even if they're not locked?

Where I live there are a lot of ancient graveyards and that is a common thing to photograph them. Usually that is not even a thought to go and photograph them, in their natural state of course. Shooting infared and such in graveyards especially the ones that date back 150-200 years ago makes for some beautiful shots. I can imagine in europe their are some great opertunities to shoot much older graveyards.

In Alabama, and generaly speaking I would assume most other states, there are no laws preventing the taking of photographs in graveyards. Although graveyards are private property, they are "visitor open" accepting the public usually between dawn and dusk. Any other times, you will probably be checked by local law enforcement to determine if you are engaging in unlawful activity..criminal mischief, grave robbing, ect. The only disrespect I can see would be if you were stepping on the burial spot itself. I enjoy taking photo's in graveyards and like to speak with the caretakers at old graveyards. They have some interesting stories. Take care and good shooting!! :shock: [/b]

I like cementary art too... here in Szczecin/Poland we have the second biggest cementary in Europe. It is really beautiful

Living in London i've taken photos at loads of cemeteries (part of an A-Level project).

Unless there is something that says you cant take photos then there's no problem, I don't know about publishing rights though. I think they belong to whoever owns the land you are photographing.

Just be respectful of other peoples feeling's, as in no pointing at mourners etc.

Solarize said:
Living in London i've taken photos at loads of cemeteries (part of an A-Level project).

Unless there is something that says you cant take photos then there's no problem, I don't know about publishing rights though. I think they belong to whoever owns the land you are photographing.

Just be respectful of other peoples feeling's, as in no pointing at mourners etc.

I would think if it's a public place and no posting of "NO Trepassing, skateboarding, cameras, dogs, etc..." then publishing rights are those of the artist unless you photo a dead person or a living person inwhich you will need to get a signed release to publish.

Most reactions

Back