Photographing X-Rays?

baileym

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been given an assignment to photgraph about 80 x-rays. They are going to be positioned on a x-ray light box. I have a Canon 20D camera. The lens I have are a Canon 80-200mm (4.5-5.6) UV filter, a Canon 28-105mm (4.0-5.6) UV filter, and a Canon 50mm (1.8) no filter lens. I'm not familiar with any shooting other than the camera being on automatic, except manual focus. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

we cant really tell you what settings to use, because we dont know what the lighting in the room is going to be like... i would suggest to just throw it in manual and practice

Thanks, Chris. It appears it will be in a regular lit room with fluorescents. I could also use a lab where all the lights are out except for the light boxes. I understand if that's not enough information. If testing in manual, would you be more concerned with the aperture or speed?

i would suggest to just throw it in manual and practice

That sounds like a good idea. I suggest that you use the 50 mm, if the X-rays are large enough to fill the frame when the lens is focused. You don't need a filter.

Switch off the room lights, and just have the light box on. Mask off the unused area of the light box with black paper or card, so that ther is no stray light. Use the lens at between f/4 and f/8. Have it on a tripod if you have one. Set the ISO to the lowest setting. Use full manual, including focus - set the focus up on a flat, easily-focused mark on paper then lock it in manual.

Do the exposure by trial and error, checking the histogram.

Good luck,
Helen

Thanks Helen and Patrick for your advice. I'm going to see if I can do some practice shots today.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back