deepind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I took this pictures with Nikon D3200 with Nikon 18-140mm vr lens..the pictures are very blurry and distorted,what is the reason ? Is the camera or lens problem? I bought it b4 4 years...
I have attached sample images here..please tell what is wrong...most of the pictures I took are always grainy and blurry or out of focus...how to get smooth clear pictures a I see in websites..
Thank you

Attachments

• D70BE3C5-D35A-4916-85A9-F2F54ABF8787.jpeg
    D70BE3C5-D35A-4916-85A9-F2F54ABF8787.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 327
  • BF47988E-BCB1-4A7B-99AD-22381C5BDAE9.jpeg
    BF47988E-BCB1-4A7B-99AD-22381C5BDAE9.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 336
Which 18-140mm lens? I'm sure there is a $200 one and a $1,000+ one. Regardless a $200 lens should probably be capable of a decent picture considering it's not a problem for a cell phone. A couple things you can do if you aren't already. Find the best aperture for your lens usually somewhere in the middle that its best calibrated to or is its sweet spot. In general for landscape you want to be at a high aperture to get a wide depth of field so everything can be in focus. Landscape people also talk about focusing to infinity. Some argue that's outdated and to focus in the middle. I'm not familiar with focusing to infinity but when you have trees kind of close and mountains in the distance and want all of it in focus. What I notice right away is the overcast light. It seems to me having good light helps a lot. If you look at water drops shot with speed lights and such it makes a big difference. Lighting up a whole valley or something can't be done but you can go there at better times than others or with better weather. Just after rain with sun gets certain effects as well as dawn and dusk are popular times. Tripods can be your friend. there's really a whole bag of tricks to get the best tack sharp focus. Check your ISO lower is better but not the be all and end all. Also shutter speed, too long and your hands can't stay steady that long easily. Wider angle lenses either focus easier or with greater DOF so shooting landscapes closer to 18mm than zoomed into 140mm should be better. Whichever of all that stuff you're not doing try them all and read some articles about focus and landscape focusing. Also think about the focusing modes you're using AF-S, continuous or whatever and be familiar with them.

What aperture and shutter speed did you use?

And the SS & ap would still be in the original EXIF - it's not in the metadata in the posted photos.

I always take in manual mode....f13,1/2000 sec,

Are you using a protection/UV filter on the front of the lens?

With these settings your ISO would be very high in these conditions. I´m guessing ISO5000+ Depending on the camera, this can lead to rather bad results. May I ask you to post a full size image with metadta?

No am not using any filter.....most of shots I took are always grainy...

With these settings your ISO would be very high in these conditions. I´m guessing ISO5000+ Depending on the camera, this can lead to rather bad results. May I ask you to post a full size image with metadta?
ISO I set to 100 only....in morning outdoors I always keep iso 100 or 200 only...image size was 15 mb so it take lot time to upload...

ISO I set to 100 only....in morning outdoors I always keep iso 100 or 200 only...image size was 15 mb so it take lot time to upload...
That´s pretty weird then. The weather in your scene is cloudy - so according to the "sunny 16 rule" you´d need about f5,6 | 1/100sec | ISO 100 to correctly expose your image. You used f13 which is more than 2 stops darker and 1/2000sec which is more than 4 stops darker. so all together at ISO100 you should get an image that is undererexposed by 6-7 stops with is pretty dark. Maybe you have a typo in your posts for some of your settings?

That´s pretty weird then. The weather in your scene is cloudy - so according to the "sunny 16 rule" you´d need about f5,6 | 1/100sec | ISO 100 to correctly expose your image. You used f13 which is more than 2 stops darker and 1/2000sec which is more than 4 stops darker. so all together at ISO100 you should get an image that is undererexposed by 6-7 stops with is pretty dark. Maybe you have a typo in your posts for some of your settings?
It was very sunny and bright...what happened was the camera could not capture the orange colour and green grass together as there was rain drops in the plant and sunlight falls on it..so it could not capture that combination...one doubt how to get crystal clear sharp pictures as seen in internet? Do they edit the images to get sharpness ?

It was very sunny and bright...what happened was the camera could not capture the orange colour and green grass together as there was rain drops in the plant and sunlight falls on it..so it could not capture that combination...one doubt how to get crystal clear sharp pictures as seen in internet? Do they edit the images to get sharpness ?
Even on a sunny day you should get way underexposed images with your settings. There must be something wrong there. We could best help you solve this if we had a full resolution image with all the exif data. Any chance you upload that somewhere into the internet? Maybe Dropbox with a public folder, etc.?

Personally, I never shoot a common zoom at anything higher than f/8 due to diffraction. You can test this up against a brick wall, with the camera on a tripod and set in manual mode, focus point should be single, dead center. Start at your most commonly used focal length, doesn't really matter but for me at that range, I'd be at 100mm. Turn off stabilization. Expose image properly by getting the exposure to zero at all f/stops, choose your metering mode but make sure they're the same for all f/stops. Start at f/5.6, then f/8. then f/11, then f/16, then f/22. Compare the 5 images at a 100% crop, look at center and corners. You will more than likely see that f/8 will be the most desirable image in terms of sharpness, micro contrast, corner sharpness, and vignetting or light fall off around corners. You could test a few different focal lengths and make a chart so you know what to expect. Doesn't hurt to compare one with stabilization turned on so you it's effect as as well. Typically the short end and the long end will show higher degrees of diffraction. I have done this on all of my lenses but I am kind of weird like that, I would have tics if I didn't know my hardware limitations and strengths.

Lastly, image sharpness is not the end of it all, but for the scenes you posted, probably a good idea to find the sweet spot. In terms of portraits, you should be sure the focus point is on the eye, and consider for depth of field. If you shoot a head shot at 85mm, you will want to isolate the subject the best you can, test for this with an object of some sort. Many people, including myself, can get hung up on image sharpness but I have learned it's only a small part of lens quality, and image rendering.

Last edited:
most of the images i took are grainy.what will be the reason? may be focusing or camera problem?

Most reactions

Back