Photos for christmas?

Joerocket

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been thinking of giving a few people photos for christmas, but I'm struggling with the thought that they may take it as me cheaping out. That's not what I'm doing at all, and just as I'm writing this I thought I could give them a present along with a photograph but I dont know about that either.... just something I was thinking about and thought I'd get some other opinions.

-Joe

I think it all sort of depends on how you go about it. I think it all depends on what the relationship is with them and how much they generally spend on your gift each year. Example: I wouldn't give a photo(as the only gift) to someone who gives me something uber-nice $100+ gift every year. But if it's a friend or neighbor who usually gets you something small like $20 or less or whatever, I wouldn't see a problem with them thinking you're cheaping out...especially if they give you a fruitcake each year. :-D

And there is also the factor of if they're picture people or not. If they don't like photos or art, then they probably wouldn't care for a nice photo. But if you were to do it, I would definitely go with something 8x10 or larger in a nice frame. I'm giving my mom a couple of photos for Christmas in addition to other gifts b/c I know she likes photographs and the thought that goes into the gift. She'll probably like it more than the "material-esque" gifts I get her.

Just my 2 cents, but I may not make sense since it's late. Hmmm...3 different variations of cents in 1 sentence. LOL

Thanks for the insight wyldkard. I see what you mean, its hard to know whether someone is an art person or not though, I think alot of people are, they just dont know it,a couple years ago i wouldnt think of buying a nice painting or photograph to put on the wall, but if someone got one for me i know i would have loved it. I want to give a photograph to my boss for christmas, she just opened a new restaurant and i know she would love another nice photo to go on the wall, so i suppose it should be ok. Anyways i don't know if this will make sense as it is even later.

-Joe

I see it as cheapening out, but in a good way. If you're too broke to buy everybody presents (like moi, for example), it's a way to show that you're thinking of them. One of the neatest presents I've ever seen, by the way, is a printing block that my aunt carved to make prints to give out as presents one xmas. She varnished the block and gave it to her mother as a gift. Very nice wall art.

i'm a little late to this thread, but i give photos as gifts, i would feel cheap but i spent how many 100s or 1000s of dollars on the equipment to produce the photo??? ;) you can always matte it and put it in a nice frame to uncheapen it. i actually try to keep certain people in mind when i am out in the field for this purpose. although watch out, the more you do it, the more they will expect it! i have some family and friends that get all disappointed if they don't get one!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back