Why no one cares about your Photography - Sean Tucker

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just watched this most recent video by Sean Tucker and it was really interesting to me so I thought I'd share it.
He makes a lot of sense in this video that I didn't think about before. The reason why I may not get much attention on my images could because I am making more nuance work that means a lot to me and is boring to others because its not as loud as popular photos on social media.

I don't know, it gave me a little bit of clarity and motivation.

Interesting. I thought his comments on character vs personality relate to more than just photography.

But it also got me questioning why I post here. I'm not a big social media person and this is the only place I post my photos. I shot mostly to pleas myself and post here mostly to get critique. Sadly, there is not much of that. Mostly you get "likes" or comments like "great shot". The other reason is for the community. But it is hard to build community if you are not giving the likes and comments, an interesting conundrum. Most of the time when I comment I try and give at least one reason I like the photo. Maybe I could do better too.

Interesting. I thought his comments on character vs personality relate to more than just photography.

But it also got me questioning why I post here. I'm not a big social media person and this is the only place I post my photos. I shot mostly to pleas myself and post here mostly to get critique. Sadly, there is not much of that. Mostly you get "likes" or comments like "great shot". The other reason is for the community. But it is hard to build community if you are not giving the likes and comments, an interesting conundrum. Most of the time when I comment I try and give at least one reason I like the photo. Maybe I could do better too.
Hey Pete.. interesting, sadly the reason why I joined this forum was to get critiques on my photos as it will give a different prespective which will improvise ones skills. it is sad to know that people do not respond beyond the ones that you had mentioned before. However, I will give my best to put forward my thoughts to improvise when you post some photos. Best, Jay

Reactions: PJM
I suspect that the reason for the lack of critique as opposed to comment is sadly down to the fact that some people (but not all) take criticism as a personal affront and its easier to keep the peace. I belong to a forum where that tends not to be the case but most that I have belonged to have suffered the same problem. Now don't tell me I'm wrong because I'll get upset. 🙂

I never personally been a big fan of critique, I get why it's sometimes necessary for growth and to learn but when some people receive really negative criticism it kind turns you off from all criticism. I doesn't affect everyone though, but it did affect me. I also think if you're enjoy taking pictures and don't care, that's fine too as long as you're happy and having fun.

Me personally I am in a place right now where I'm questioning why I'm still taking photos, do I really enjoy doing this? Is it because of social media and the validation I sometimes get the main drive to photograph? I been without social media for over a month now and I have little inclination to photograph now, I'm like what's the point if nobody sees it?

I'm not really sure what to do myself, I been addicted to the numbers for multiple years and as a millennial that's to be expected of me, I grew up around that stuff and it is extremely frustrating to share my work even on Flickr and have it not get many favorites or comments. I often deleted photos and uploaded something else that I know would get more attention and deep down I feel like that's wrong and I'm just using it make myself feel better because I have lack of self worth and it's something I been fighting with.

This video from Sean Tucker makes me think about it in a different way but I'm not having a good time processing it properly because I'm so used to thinking about it in one way less likes = bad photo, more likes = good photos and need to do more of that.

I've thought about giving up photography several times, sometimes feels like its several times a year but for some reason I continue to do it and I don't know why because it's just a hobby. I don't do it professionally and I have no community since deleting my social media besides Flickr which I'm making it an unhealthy place because I'm treating it the same way as I did with Instagram.

Maybe I need a new hobby of sorts or something additional.

All photography is based on the single opinion of the photographer. Originality, creativity, processing and output all come from the core of the creator. This makes every shutter activation the start of a journey to a photograph that is totally unique and precious to that photographer. Every single photographer in the world is unique and will not like the same pics.

What do you get when 3 photographers judge a picture................ 4 OPINIONS!!!

I have recently got the time to dedicate a lot of time to photography (and this forum) and I am loving every minute of it. I am enjoying it so much I got an Instagram account. 7 people who dont know me liked my photographs and I am tickled pink. I will evolve as a photographer but I will never chase likes.

I am in my 60's and I am learning something new every day. Being from an Engineering background I have been tied to process and procedure for most of my life. To me photography is freedom.

All a matter of perspective.

CHEERS
JBO

I just watched this most recent video by Sean Tucker and it was really interesting to me so I thought I'd share it.
He makes a lot of sense in this video that I didn't think about before. The reason why I may not get much attention on my images could because I am making more nuance work that means a lot to me and is boring to others because its not as loud as popular photos on social media.

I don't know, it gave me a little bit of clarity and motivation.
I think many times that people get too caught up in what others want as opposed to what the producer chooses to portray. The question one must ask themselves is should they shoot to make others happy (start shooting weddings maybe?) or what makes them happy? Even Claude Monet only achieved profound success after his death. When I attend art shows, I have found that as I peruse the wares of others, I find that they tend to favor regionality. Why? Well, why bring what one doesn't think will sell? Could that mean that the joy has gone out of it, giving way to the financial considerations that make something more a job than an art form?

I never personally been a big fan of critique, I get why it's sometimes necessary for growth and to learn but when some people receive really negative criticism it kind turns you off from all criticism. I doesn't affect everyone though, but it did affect me. I also think if you're enjoy taking pictures and don't care, that's fine too as long as you're happy and having fun.

Me personally I am in a place right now where I'm questioning why I'm still taking photos, do I really enjoy doing this? Is it because of social media and the validation I sometimes get the main drive to photograph? I been without social media for over a month now and I have little inclination to photograph now, I'm like what's the point if nobody sees it?

I'm not really sure what to do myself, I been addicted to the numbers for multiple years and as a millennial that's to be expected of me, I grew up around that stuff and it is extremely frustrating to share my work even on Flickr and have it not get many favorites or comments. I often deleted photos and uploaded something else that I know would get more attention and deep down I feel like that's wrong and I'm just using it make myself feel better because I have lack of self worth and it's something I been fighting with.

This video from Sean Tucker makes me think about it in a different way but I'm not having a good time processing it properly because I'm so used to thinking about it in one way less likes = bad photo, more likes = good photos and need to do more of that.

I've thought about giving up photography several times, sometimes feels like its several times a year but for some reason I continue to do it and I don't know why because it's just a hobby. I don't do it professionally and I have no community since deleting my social media besides Flickr which I'm making it an unhealthy place because I'm treating it the same way as I did with Instagram.

Maybe I need a new hobby of sorts or something additional.
Share your photography especially with the people you love. Enlarge a couple of your best and make a print and frame it and give it as a gift next time you visit a relative or friend. If they're in the picture, better still.

I make videos slide shows of birthday parties I go to and have made both tabletop photo books of the party or a video slide show dumped on a memory card and gifted so they can play it on their smart TV or computer. You can even upload it on YouTube so friends and relatives who you gave the password link to can see it so they can show it on their cellphones or computers or smart TVs. Photos shouldn't sit in your attic or on the top of your closet in a shoe box.

Share your photography especially with the people you love. Enlarge a couple of your best and make a print and frame it and give it as a gift next time you visit a relative or friend. If they're in the picture, better still.

I make videos slide shows of birthday parties I go to and have made both tabletop photo books of the party or a video slide show dumped on a memory card and gifted so they can play it on their smart TV or computer. You can even upload it on YouTube so friends and relatives who you gave the password link to can see it so they can show it on their cellphones or computers or smart TVs. Photos shouldn't sit in your attic or on the top of your closet in a shoe box.

That works nice for folks who have friends/family and unfortunately I'm alone in this world.

Hey Pete.. interesting, sadly the reason why I joined this forum was to get critiques on my photos as it will give a different prespective which will improvise ones skills. it is sad to know that people do not respond beyond the ones that you had mentioned before. However, I will give my best to put forward my thoughts to improvise when you post some photos. Best, Jay

I suspect that the reason for the lack of critique as opposed to comment is sadly down to the fact that some people (but not all) take criticism as a personal affront and its easier to keep the peace. I belong to a forum where that tends not to be the case but most that I have belonged to have suffered the same problem. Now don't tell me I'm wrong because I'll get upset. 🙂

These comments seem to have one important thing in common, and that is the lack of meaningful critique online. I can't speak to other social media sites or platforms, but right here, at this photo forum, we have a couple of different ways to get that.

Most of us will choose to post our work in one of the Galleries by whatever category seems to best fit the image - then wait for some kind of feedback. Which often times, is limited to fly-by comments like Nice shot or someone clicking a response such as Like. Not much there to help one grow.

But at the very top of the main Gallery section is, in fact, a C&C Gallery where more serious effort can be displayed. There are some special guidelines we ask that you follow when choosing to post in there, basically technical info and your own thoughts on what you were going for. This information helps someone who is interested in offering an in-depth critique a place to start. You should not get Nice shot! type of comments in there - in fact, the moderators of that forum will likely remove them.

The point is, if you want a place to display your more serious efforts for more serious C&C, we have it here. Please, please USE IT! And then you might feel like your work is getting the attention it deserves.

About the video.....I only got about 5 minutes in, so I only got the Newbies are to blame bit. I get bored with stuff like that. It may have some fleeting value, but quite often there is more to the issue than can reasonably be covered in 15 minutes. ;)

To the OP: Always present yourself for rejection...

These comments seem to have one important thing in common, and that is the lack of meaningful critique online. I can't speak to other social media sites or platforms, but right here, at this photo forum, we have a couple of different ways to get that.

Most of us will choose to post our work in one of the Galleries by whatever category seems to best fit the image - then wait for some kind of feedback. Which often times, is limited to fly-by comments like Nice shot or someone clicking a response such as Like. Not much there to help one grow.

But at the very top of the main Gallery section is, in fact, a C&C Gallery where more serious effort can be displayed. There are some special guidelines we ask that you follow when choosing to post in there, basically technical info and your own thoughts on what you were going for. This information helps someone who is interested in offering an in-depth critique a place to start. You should not get Nice shot! type of comments in there - in fact, the moderators of that forum will likely remove them.

The point is, if you want a place to display your more serious efforts for more serious C&C, we have it here. Please, please USE IT! And then you might feel like your work is getting the attention it deserves.

About the video.....I only got about 5 minutes in, so I only got the Newbies are to blame bit. I get bored with stuff like that. It may have some fleeting value, but quite often there is more to the issue than can reasonably be covered in 15 minutes. ;)
Agree. Batch "likes" are weird. Frankly, "Nice shot" is mildly annoying(like what made it "nice?"). No clue.
Most help I got early on was from the sour old boys who judged the monthly slide competitions in my local camera club. They were tough, sometimes cruel, but fair. They did tend to favor technically excellent slides that I found paralytically boring for lack of impact. Still, they zeroed in on the small stuff that cumulatively sunk some of my shots. I got better at it.
I see repeated posts here that verge on photo dumps. Not few of those rarely if ever comment on others' photos. Why's that?

Agree. Batch "likes" are weird. Frankly, "Nice shot" is mildly annoying(like what made it "nice?"). No clue.
Most help I got early on was from the sour old boys who judged the monthly slide competitions in my local camera club. They were tough, sometimes cruel, but fair. They did tend to favor technically excellent slides that I found paralytically boring for lack of impact. Still, they zeroed in on the small stuff that cumulatively sunk some of my shots. I got better at it.
I see repeated posts here that verge on photo dumps. Not few of those rarely if ever comment on others' photos. Why's that?

That's why I hated Instagram. Every comment was "yo that's fire 🔥" or "thats a banger!" or just "🔥🔥🔥" or "😲😲" or one time I shared a black and white photo and someone commented "wow you suck at b&w" and another time I shared a picture of some abandoned gas pumps with graffiti on them and someone commented "my least favorite photo you've taken, in fact it's horrible you should take photos of something else 🙄". That's all what Instagram was really, just a popularity contest and it really discouraged me from sharing my crappy photos on there and I had a enough so I deleted my account.

Flickr is a little better in sense of receiving genuine comments. I'm not opposed of being critiqued because deep down I know it's something I need to do if I want to grow but right with the things going on in my life, I don't know if I'm ready for that but at the same time why does it better either if I want to do photography just for the process and joy of taking a photograph. Does it matter if they suck if it gives me something to do, something to take my mind off things and to step away from the world? I think not.

Last edited:
@cgw technically most of the galleries are open for critique. There was a time when posting in one of those would get some serious comments. Unfotunately the winds have shifted, i dont know if its a loss of members, the more advanced members don't have time, or there's been a shift in the experience levels of the members.

It's been an ongoing problem for awhile now. That's one of the reasons for starting the C&C Gallery Terri mentioned above. As one of the moderators for that gallery I can assure you that non serious critique is dealt with quickly. If a member takes the time to follow the guidelines for posting then they deserve thoughtful help/critique from those responding.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back