Photoshoot In Lighthouse Point. Fl

I like the ideas and poses, but they look a little too over processed for my taste.

Your composition and cropping are excellent but the harsh light, blown highlights(in at least a few of the pictures) and over processing(especially of the skin) make these photos go from really good to just "meh".

My first guess is that you badly need to calibrate your monitor, because I can't imagine tht you think those skin tones looks good. I realize that sounds exceedingly harsh, and I don't mean it to. The skin tones in many of them are beyond nuclear orange, and maybe they don't look so over-saturated on your screen.

I think there are some nice ideas in there, but I think they all fall short in one way or another. But take heart, good ideas are a lot harder to learn than composition rules, exposure skills or post processing skills. There are quite a few probelms with background clutter, and objects coming out of his head. The light is pretty harsh, and there are a lot of hot spots on his skin. And if I had to wager a second guess, it would be that porbably the skin was pretty blown out and you have the Recovery slider at 100 on most of these. That can really cause skin tone problems exactly like you're having. You really have to go back in and brighten and desaturate the orange and red sliders.

Most importantly, watch your histogram. With situations like this, it can be extra tricky. Because even when you are watching the histo, you can see that it's just barely tickling the right side, and you think of, I'm fine. Then you download the images and realize that the one teeny part of the histogram that was touching the wall, is a totally blown out hotspot on someone's face. That's where it can be really helpful to have the screaming blinkies on, even though I usually find them annoying.

thanks for the insight in the process of redoing the pictures

Most reactions

Back