Photoshoot Pricing

madisonofriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello
My name is Maddie, I'm 16 years old and a aspiring photographer. Lately I've been doing photo shoots for friends/friends of friends and I don't know how to charge them... For example I did a Senior photoshoot as a favor for a friend which consisted of:
- Two days of shooting
- All the photos (processed in Lightroom) which I delivered to her.
- 8x10 Frame

I only charged her $100 plus other costs.

What should I be charging according to what I do? I know I am an amateur but I want to make this my business and need to have money so I can afford equipment.
Here are some of my shots. Thanks in advance!

PS: Also this is a little off subject, But does anyone know of any good Photography classes in the Atlanta area?

Photos from Maddie's Photography's post - Maddie's Photography | Facebook
Photos from Maddie's Photography's post - Maddie's Photography | Facebook
Mobile Uploads - Maddie's Photography | Facebook

Attachments

• DSC_1357-2.jpg
    DSC_1357-2.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 178
  • PicMonkey Collage.jpg
    PicMonkey Collage.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 173
I really like some of your pics. First, do a quick search on the forum. This topic has been discussed a thousand times. But I know you want an answer more related to your specific situation, right?

Decide what you want to make per hour (counting how much time you shoot AND edit) based on your experience and time you've put into it. They're paying for your experience, which they don't have. I think $100 is a fair price starting out. I did a few for $50 and now I'm about at $200. But it also varies depending on the gig, and I price a little higher than what I want so that way I can give clients a discount if I see fit and I'm happy because I'm still making what I want, and they're happy to get a discount.

Do some Googling, check out other photographer sites (mine is Home - Daryll Morgan Photography, Richmond VA and do some reading. I remember reading something saying to double your price like every 10 gigs or so. But be considerate of other photographers too... There are some real pros who charge $1000 and more, and people like you or I take their business since our price is so much lower. But they also get what they pay for... Usually.

How much you charge has to be related to what your non-reimbursed costs are, what you consider your time and talent to be worth, and what your target market is willing to pay.
How many hours did you work for the client over the 2 days?

How much you charge has to be related to what your non-reimbursed costs are, what you consider your time and talent to be worth, and what your target market is willing to pay.
How many hours did you work for the client over the 2 days?

Including Edit time... around 16.

$100 / 16 hours = $6.25 an hour. What is minimum wage in Georgia?

To make money so you can buy equipment you will need to charge a lot more, like $100 for a 1 hour photo session.
A 1 hour photo session usually requires 2 - 3 additional hours of work doing pre-shoot and post-shoot tasks.
So if you use up 4 hours (1 hour actually shooting + 3 hours pre and post production work), $100 means you earn $25 per hour.
Out of that $25 per hour you have to pay your non-reimbursed expenses, other business costs, and put some in savings to buy equipment with.

By starting out with a low price you make it very difficult to raise prices later.
Think of it this way.
You are starting to build a client base.
Your clients don't expect your prices to go higher.
So when you realize you have to raise prices to stay in business your current clients look for some other just-starting-out photographer that has a low price.
In other words you have to abandon the client base you already have.
You have to start all over again and start building a new client base at the new, higher price point.

As it is, you need business experience and training to start and keep a business up and running.
A key to accomplishing that is having a well researched and written business plan.
"If you fail to plan, plan to fail".

Your town will have requirements for registering your business. The state of Georgia will expect you to register with them too, so you can collect and forward to the state any and all sales taxes they are due. Your city and the state will likely also require your business have liability insurance.

Last edited:
$100 / 16 hours = $6.25 an hour. What is minimum wage in Georgia?

To make money so you can buy equipment you will need to charge a lot more, like $100 for a 1 hour photo session.
A 1 hour photo session usually requires 2 - 3 additional hours of work doing pre-shoot and post-shoot tasks.
So if you use up 4 hours (1 hour actually shooting + 3 hours pre and post production work), $100 means you earn $25 per hour.
Out of that $25 per hour you have to pay your non-reimbursed expenses, other business costs, and put some in savings to buy equipment with.

By starting out with a low price you make it very difficult to raise prices later.
Think of it this way.
You are starting to build a client base.
Your clients don't expect your prices to go higher.
So when you realize you have to raise prices to stay in business your current clients look for some other just-starting-out photographer that has a low price.
In other words you have to abandon the client base you already have.
You have to start all over again and start building a new client base at the new, higher price point.

As it is, you need business experience and training to start and keep a business up and running.
A key to accomplishing that is having a well researched and written business plan.
"If you fail to plan, plan to fail".

Your town will have requirements for registering your business. The state of Georgia will expect you to register with them too, so you can collect and forward to the state any and all sales taxes they are due. Your city and the state will likely also require your business have liability insurance.

This...

Also, since you're in Atlanta, I would check out Zack Arias and see if you can get into one of his workshops. I have his Photography Q&A book and he keep it VERY real and is pretty active in the teaching community. I'd love the chance to take a workshop or two of his...Otherwise, troll YouTube, Creative Live, Phlearn, KelbyOne, DEDPXL.com (Arias' site) and watch tons of videos...That's what I'm doing now. Don't seem to be all that many in person workshops that I'm ready to shell out dough for...Also, the attraction of video for me is that I can watch it again and again...in the classroom (in most cases) if you miss it or forget it once you leave, you're out of luck. IMHO, of course...

First of all, let me say that you're doing some very nice work. Rather than jumping into a business which takes a lot of time and effort, very little of which is actually spent behind the camera, work on honing your skills and developing (pun fully intended) your eye. As Keith (KmH) alluded to, there are a LOT of aspects to consider when you're operating a business, and such things as insurance can run to a lo t of money. On the other hand, given your age, if you're simply doing trades and people give you 'gifts' it will probably ease the paperwork, and lessen the liability if something does go wrong (I'm not familiar with the laws in your state, but it's possible that if you were running a business, and someone was injured or property damaged, both you and/or your parents could be liable.

My suggestion is: Take advantage of the fact that you have friends who are willing to pose and let you practice on them. When you do a shoot for someone and it goes well, suggest things that they can buy you in appreciation.

First of all, let me say that you're doing some very nice work. Rather than jumping into a business which takes a lot of time and effort, very little of which is actually spent behind the camera, work on honing your skills and developing (pun fully intended) your eye.

My suggestion is: Take advantage of the fact that you have friends who are willing to pose and let you practice on them. When you do a shoot for someone and it goes well, suggest things that they can buy you in appreciation.
Sage advice here. I really liked the senior shots. She's gotta love those.

I agree that at your age you're wise to focus on learning business skills to augment your photography. Don't get bogged down with insurance, state/local occupational licensing, etc. I'm sure that Atlanta is ripe with opportunities and superb photographers to mentor you. He may be out of your price range but one I'm aware of is Kevin Ames.

At the least, her mom and dad will want to 'get bogged down' with the legal aspects of starting a business.
Being only 16, her parents will be held financially responsible by the local, state, and federal governments.
Registering a business is not the same as the licensing for businesses like plumbers, electricians, etc.

Of course the registration isn't the same, but I doubt it's something a 16-y-o wants to be worrying about. Or filing quarterly sales tax reports with the state. All the stuff you mentioned earlier. :)

Her parents will probably be the ones to have to worry about it! depends on where you live; in my state you have to make a certain amount before you owe taxes on it etc. but I don't know about filing if you're under 18 (or about job and labor laws related to your age).

I'd suggest Maddie, if you haven't already, talk to your parents and maybe your school has some programs related to business, future jobs/careers etc. to help you find resources. I use http://asmp,org but that might not be geared to what you need for now.

Your $100 price seems underpriced, but you'd probably need to find out what other portrait photographers in your area charge and keep in mind pricing appropriate for a student photographer. You'd need to find out what to do about cotracts as well since I doubt you can take on legal responsibility of collecting payments and signing contracts on your own (your parents probably need to sign and accept responsibility for your portrait sessions). The quality of your photos is good and you seem on the right track, it's just a matter of going from taking photos for friends to getting into charging and doing paid photo shoots and what's involved in that.

If you're interested in classes try community or art centers in your area that offer workshops or adult continuing ed. classes. Some colleges offer continuing ed. courses too that aren't for college credit but are for personal enrichment. In my area many places offer classes that are for 16+ especially in summer art camps. Libraries in my area offer classes too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back