Photoshoot with my daughter

The only negative that I could draw out of these that hasn't been mentioned, and I may just be personal taste, but it looks like you are shooting "down" in most of these, especially the full body shots.

It's not much, but I would prefer if the camera was more at eye level with the subject.

yup, brain fart..I didn't get down to her level until later near the end of the shoot

You are VERY heavy on the skin smoothing. She's got beautiful skin and you've made her skin look plastic, hair look like fuzz with very over sharp eyes in the one that is obviously your favorite.

I only smoothed one. Ran Imagenomic portraiture to see what it would do. Photo 1 of set 2. None of the others had any smoothing/sharpening done to them. Some I used a 50mm 1.8, the others a 24-135 set at f/8

I think the 50mm lens has a more soft look. Also she is very very pale...which, to me, made her skin look smoothed/too bright.

actually...if I recall, I did do a value of 17 in luminance NR in LR, I didn't think that accounted for much...I'll revisit on one and see if that does much.

I just popped it in lightroom and added +6 on temp and tint and it came out like yours. Is that all you did or did ya do something else to it?

You see the difference well and describe it well. Time and practice and you'll be able to see the fault directly without the side by side comparison.

I did three very minor things:

1. Shifted the WB to remove the slight bluish cast.
2. Raised the contrast a smidge using Levels in Photoshop.
3. Darkened the black material she's resting on.

Joe

Cool. I did 1 and 2, but not 3. For final print I would remove the boogers and stuff on the felt and darken a bit on those images with the black on them...

Thanks for all of your help/input.

oh, hey Ysarex...do you convert to sRGB for uploading to zenfolio account for review? Once I finish this set I am going to put them on my zenfolio so the relatives in other states can order prints. Is the colorspace conversion just for facebook sharing and web sharing, not for proofing and ordering?

oh, hey Ysarex...do you convert to sRGB for uploading to zenfolio account for review? Once I finish this set I am going to put them on my zenfolio so the relatives in other states can order prints. Is the colorspace conversion just for facebook sharing and web sharing, not for proofing and ordering?

Absolutely convert to sRGB unless you can guarantee that everyone who sees your photos on the Internet will only use Firefox or Safari as their web browser.

Joe

Absolutely convert to sRGB unless you can guarantee that everyone who sees your photos on the Internet will only use Firefox or Safari as their web browser.

Joe

kk

I assume the lab will detect colorspace and print accordingly? or does it not matter. Just started using mpix with my zenfolio account...so I dunno much about how they do things.

I think this one is my favorite of the set once I finished my crops and adjustments.

Makes me wanna snatch people up and shoot more now. lol

8218257071_d188309b51_c.jpg

Last edited:
I like that one too! Very cute!
Kids who are not your own are MUCH easier to deal with.

I hope so. lol. The couple I shot last week had two girls...and they were cute and really fun. Only kids I shot so far.

Booked a family with 3 boys next week...so "knock on wood" as long as they don't cancel....that will be interesting.

I hope so. lol. The couple I shot last week had two girls...and they were cute and really fun. Only kids I shot so far.

Booked a family with 3 boys next week...so "knock on wood" as long as they don't cancel....that will be interesting.
Just remember to get into being a kid again and it'll be easy. You'll learn all kinds of tricks over time, but a a tripod and remote are a HUGE help with difficult kids!

after the bits of blur I got on this shoot with my daughter I was thinking I will def have at least a monopod on me for my next shoot with kids.

I like to shoot on a tripod for main family shot(s) to ensure I get a good one...then I take it off the pod and free shoot the rest of the time.

Joe

kk

I assume the lab will detect colorspace and print accordingly? or does it not matter. Just started using mpix with my zenfolio account...so I dunno much about how they do things.

Yes the lab will respond correctly to the embedded ICC profile. Most of them will tell you to convert the photos to sRGB.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back