Photoshop CS6: What is this guy doing at the 3:54+ mark?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to follow this video and at the 3:54+ mark the guy uses his brush tool to "clean up" the edge of a photograph. But when I try to do the same thing, (black in front as he suggests) I end up with black lines wherever I run the cursor on the screen.

What's he doing differently that I am doing? HELP! :scratch:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh...I think I figured it out. I think he had a layer mask turned on and I did not, so mine was working differently than his.

The learning curve on PS is STEEP! Sheesh! :lol:

In before someone complains about the smoke detector.

Do you have the mask selected and not the original image?

In before someone complains about the smoke detector.

Do you have the mask selected and not the original image?

He had the masked turned on and I did not. So, there you go. My CS6 is NOT working like his though. Check out the video at the 5:50+ mark. He selects paint bucket and his MIDDLE layer is selected...NOT the top layer. When he pours the paint bucket, it only makes the background white. I'm doing the exact same thing but my ENTIRE image turns white. If instead I select the TOP layer, not the middle layer, then I get the same results.

WTF?

That's because his top layer is transparent. Yours must not be.

Also, im sure you are aware, this is the very basic version of "extracting" wait until you need to get all the hairs too...

Also, im sure you are aware, this is the very basic version of "extracting" wait until you need to get all the hairs too...

Oh, I know. This goes back to my thread from Friday when I was trying to change the background of that guy at my office. I'm trying to do it in PS so I can leave my backdrops and lighting equipment at home and I'm finding PS to be a pain in the ASS!

:soapbox:

Yeah, his work flow, methods and results were really bad, especially for a hair "masking" video. I'd advise forgetting everything about that video entirely.

Yeah, his work flow, methods and results were really bad, especially for a hair "masking" video. I'd advise forgetting everything about that video entirely.

I fear that I too have a poor workflow. You have an example of a good one?

I fear that I too have a poor workflow. You have an example of a good one?
Many. Start with this:

It's Guest Blog Wednesday featuring Deke McClelland! | Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider

Then go deep into the end zone with these:

Photoshop Masking & Compositing: Fundamentals | Video Tutorial from lynda.com

Photoshop Masking & Compositing: Advanced Blending | Video Tutorial from lynda.com

Photoshop Masking & Compositing: Hair | Video Tutorial from lynda.com

I have Martin Evening's book, which may be good, but it's SO advanced and detailed that I lose the forest for the trees. You don't know what you don't know, and just looking through the index of the Table of Contents of that book leaves me feeling completely hopeless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back