Photoshop gradient creates an uneven histogram? Why?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by kkamin, Aug 10, 2010.

1. kkamin

kkamin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    When I create a gradient in PS, why are the ends of the histogram sloped upwards? Shouldn't it be an even distribution on tones and the histogram should be a black rectangle basically? Is it something to do with compensating for our visual perception?

[​IMG]

2. HikinMike

HikinMike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your gradient uses pure white and pure black....and everything in between, so your histogram reflects the two high points - left (pure black) and right (pure white).

3. JamesMason

JamesMason TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yup. and that histogram looks spot on to me

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

The photoshop gradient tool is actually not linear by default. Linear is boring and low contrast. Actually linear is also a bad word since in reality the displayed data on the screen actually has a gamma curve applied to it.

There's a setting in the gradient tool called "smoothness" which attempts to make a gradient appear to smoothly transition from one colour to another mathematical linearity be dammed. The histogram curves up and doesn't look perfectly flat because there is a small contrast increase to make the colours appear to transition more evenly. If you set the smoothness to 0% and re-do a gradient you'll end up with a lot more grey, less white and black, and also a perfectly flat histogram. (boring result though which is why histograms should not guide your photography but merely help analyse the result).