photoshop

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by kemplefan, Feb 7, 2006.

1. kemplefan

kemplefan TPF Noob!

i have heard great things about photo shop, but how much is it, what alternitives are there, and if it is say the same as a 50mm f1.8 nikor lense, wich one should i get, i am using nikon picture project. this program works but its not that great

2. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Photoshop CS2 (current version) will run you about $650 unless you go to ebay and purchase an older version and do an upgrade. Still, you are looking at a significant chunk of change. Alternatives....? PS is pretty much industry standard for graphics imaging, but you might like photoshop elements. I think it's current version may be up to 4.0 now. It is probably around $150 and is a scaled down consumer version of PSCS2. Still it does quite a bit (at least 2.0 did haven't tried the newest version).

A free download would be GIMP (google it) which is supposed to do all that PS will, more or less. (downloaded it, never tried it). PSCS2 is quite a piece of work. I find it pretty clunky and takes a lot of resources to run it well. I use a previous version 7.0 for most stuff just b/c it loads so much quicker. Not sure how that compared to the price of the lense you were looking at. You can get a free 30 day trial from adobe.com

3. kemplefan

kemplefan TPF Noob!

ok for the cost of that i could get my sigma 2.8 zoom

4. Also, Adobe is about to launch a product called Lightroom, a photo-only hybrid of Photoshop, Bridge, and Organizer. Probably all you'll need.

5. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    There is some kind of plugin or something that gives GIMP the look and feel of photoshop, but I too have never used it. I really should spend some time with it.

As for Lightroom, that sounds very interesting.

6. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

i think google have a free image editing software called picassa. Ive never tried it myself but it's meant to be ok

7. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

It's called Gimpshop. Download GIMP, install Gimpshop, and you got yourself a free, open source editing software that is just as good as Photoshop.

8. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Picassa is fine for organising and viewing images, but I don't trust it's algorithms as much as PS and it's really easy to alter an image by rotating in a way which may degrade its quality.

Rob

9. kemplefan

kemplefan TPF Noob!

thanks a lot every one i downloaded gim and its very good and i saved big bucks

10. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

yup, and if you have never used photoshop, downloading GIMPshop will be kind of pointless because it doesnt really matter. It's more of a Photoshop user friendly hack for GIMP.

It's useful though, if you ever feel like using photoshop in your future in your case. Good luck!!

11. kemplefan

kemplefan TPF Noob!

thanks any tips on what to do with it or how to use it to mazimize its capabilitys