Picture taking question

Jimbrit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, since I'm not really into photography and I'm just seeking the advice of someone who is into it I figured the off-topic section is the best to post in.

My question is, everytime I take a picture my face looks so wide and chunky. I look in the mirror and it doesn't seem this big, but maybe it's my persepective. Maybe I do look like a chipmunk in real life... I don't know...

What can I do to capture what I see in the mirror, maybe some tips like angles or lighting you could recommend. I'm not sure how this works but I would be grateful for any advice.

The camera isn't one of the nice ones you guys use, it's a cheap digital camera from walmart. - Maybe it's the Camera?

Thanks for any opinions.

Are these hand-held self portraits?

If so...

You need a longer lens (or just zoom in more).

The wide angle (that you must be using to take a picture of yourself at arms length) exaggerates facial features, making your nose look bigger, for example.

Have a friend take one for you standing farther away with the camera zoomed in.
That should look 'normal'.

If that doesn't help, maybe you really do look like a chipmunk, lol.

EDIT
...Just noticed that I said 'out' instead of 'in'. Fixed.

Last edited:
Don't worry, chipmunks are pretty cool, so at worst case scenario, you're still not bad off.
Now if you looked like a Shrew in photographs, that would be different.

Another tip is to take it from a higher angle. It's not as good as Josh's advice, but that's what I do when I do 'turn the camera on myself myspace style' photos. :p

This is a 'turn your camera on yourself' picture:

me200BLOG.jpg

. . . course it is with my good camera.

Are these hand-held self portraits?

If so...

You need a longer lens (or just zoom in more).

The wide angle (that you must be using to take a picture of yourself at arms length) exaggerates facial features, making your nose look bigger, for example.

Have a friend take one for you standing farther away with the camera zoomed in.
That should look 'normal'.

If that doesn't help, maybe you really do look like a chipmunk, lol.

EDIT
...Just noticed that I said 'out' instead of 'in'. Fixed.

That's exactly it.
If someone can't take the picture, have the camera stand somewhere and use the timer.

That's about the question I asked a few months ago
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...m-photo-gallery/160933-video-vs-pictures.html
and after learning about photography more, I learned, that a portrait is best taken from afar and zoomed, then up-close, it actually causes distortion.

I was also on the verge of accepting that my mirror made me cuter than I really am and that I look like a chimpmunk too, lol.

If you have a compact camera, make sure that all your settings will give you the best quality, low iso and the camera steady etc.. because when you will zoom with your camera it won't actually zoom but crop, it's not like with a lens.

Hope that helped ;)

Most reactions

Back