Pinhole camera using Canon EOS 650..need advice

Discussion in 'Alternative Techniques & Photo Gallery' started by bobaab, Jul 19, 2006.

1. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

There was a Japanese show, basically about nostalgia, that I was watching and one of the things featured was box pinhole cameras. Im truly a digital photographer, but I was so fascinated by the picture quality that I am really looking forward to taking pictures with a self made pinhole camera.

I was reading up on it, and this website lists many different ways of implementing the pinhole: http://www.wandascott.com/pinholecameras.html

The one that caught my attention is the one where he used an old Minolta 35mm camera and slapped a copper shim with a pinhole on where the lense should be.

I think I want to try this with my Canon EOS 650 since I wont have to construct a box or worry about exposing film. Is there any advice someone can give me about using my EOS 650 as a pinhole camera? Thanks in advance :)

2. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    they probably make a body cap with a pin hole in it that you can buy.

3. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

actually, i was gonna construct some kind of tube myself and strap a pinhole on it. The construction part is fine, the design is what is baffling me.

Although I'm studying to be a mechanical engineer, I have no knowledge of optics yet. And the other truth is, that I am very impatient when I'm motivated and want to try this as soon as possible. :D Well..more like I want to get to my goal NOW.

I'll make my question(s) more clear.

-What are the effects of changing the pinhole size?
    -What are the effects of changing focal length (ie positioning of pinhole)?
    -How should I go about guessing exposure times?

4. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    They do, but just buy a used EOS bodycap (if you don't have one), drill a 1/2" hole in the exact center, and tape a home made or purchased pinhole to it. I use a needle and a piece of aluminum I cut from a soda can.

5. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

yea i realized how much easier buying a body cap would be than making something myself. And then i realized that I could use that with my 350D as well. I will report back in a few days. Thanks for the instantaneous help, both of you :)

-motivated photographer