Please do not Delete - Fixed C:

Vicsan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, now that I learned how to put a photo here I can show you what I wanted.

I just started in this beautiful world of photography and I'm trying to improve every day. This is the first photo that I show here, and I would love ideas, comments, anything to help me to start seeing photography a bit more as a photographer.

wrinkles of wisdom by Victor Santibáñez, on Flickr

Last edited:
Oh, sorry, I'll unread it.

BTW: if you're not finished writing, and wish to continue, just go to the "edit" mode, and finish and then "save changes".

Before you delete this I have a problem that I can't solve here it is:

Two monkeys are in a fight, one has a gun the other a knife. The monkey with the gun has no bullets but the monkey with the knife doesn't know this.. what happens next? :nightmare::nightmare:

We're supposed to go easy on the new-comers.

Two monkeys are in a fight, one has a gun the other a knife. The monkey with the gun has no bullets but the monkey with the knife doesn't know this.. what happens next? :nightmare::nightmare:

Actually that one is pretty easy to answer. It depends entirely on how many other monkeys are there to witness the altercation.

If the number of monkeys observing is 10 or less, both Knife Monkey and Gun Monkey will talk a lot of smack and then both will back down, they will separate and both will claim victory.

If the number of monkeys observing the altercation is 11 or more, then both of the monkeys involved in the fight will lose. Knife monkey will feel obligated to charge gun monkey to prove he's not a punk. Gun monkey will inexplicably throw his weapon at knife monkey and after a brief struggle gun monkey will get stabbed to death as a result.

The police will arrive at that point, and knife monkey will pick up the unloaded gun and start brandishing it about, somehow convinced that this will improve his situation in some fashion. The police will make several attempts to get him to drop it, he won't, and then he'll get shot to death by the police.

Actually that one is pretty easy to answer. It depends entirely on how many other monkeys are there to witness the altercation.

If the number of monkeys observing is 10 or less, both Knife Monkey and Gun Monkey will talk a lot of smack and then both will back down, they will separate and both will claim victory.

If the number of monkeys observing the altercation is 11 or more, then both of the monkeys involved in the fight will lose. Knife monkey will feel obligated to charge gun monkey to prove he's not a punk. Gun monkey will inexplicably throw his weapon at knife monkey and after a brief struggle gun monkey will get stabbed to death as a result.

The police will arrive at that point, and knife monkey will pick up the unloaded gun and start brandishing it about, somehow convinced that this will improve his situation in some fashion. The police will make several attempts to get him to drop it, he won't, and then he'll get shot to death by the police.

You really should write a book :clap:

Sorry, but you're wrong. Both monkeys would drop their weapons and choose instead to throw feces at each other, because that's their answer to everything. (Yes, this would be the outcome even if the gun were loaded, because, you know, answer to everything.)

Sorry, but you're wrong. Both monkeys would drop their weapons and choose instead to throw feces at each other, because that's their answer to everything. (Yes, this would be the outcome even if the gun were loaded, because, you know, answer to everything.)

Actually that only applies to shirt wearing monkeys. The ones that are wandering around without a shirt on, or are wearing a wife beater of some sort? Oh yes, they will throw down.

But yup, if you see a couple of monkey's in polos? It's going to be a poo fling fest for certain.

Okay folks, there's an image in play now... let's try and pretend this is a photography forum, okay?

I think the concept of what you're trying to show here is great, but I think the image could be improved as well. A couple of thoughts. Had you shot vertically (portrait orientation) you would have captured the subject's whole face & head, alternatively, you could simply have stepped back a bit/ "zoomed out" to open things up and still show the direction in which she is looking, but as-is, it's very tight. The image is also somewhat under-exposed; there's virtually no black or white, just a lot of grey. When metering a scene like this, remember that typical Caucasian skin meters about one stop brighter than middle grey, and lastly, most of her face is quite soft (Out of focus). This is a combination of the aperture you used, the focal length of the lens and the distance from the subject. Become familiar with depth of field and how much of a scene will be in focus.

Okay folks, there's an image in play now... let's try and pretend this is a photography forum, okay?

My bad! That image still isn't showing up for me on my work system so I cruised right by the first post. Luckily I can see the image on my phone, so...

Victor, welcome to TPF, and thanks for sharing this image. Her face does have a lot of character, partly because of the wrinkles but also the downturn to her mouth giving her a slightly dour expression. (This mood doesn't really carry over to her eyes in my judgement, but since those are behind the slightly tinted lenses her mouth sets the mood for her expression.) It's a nice image, but there are a few things I think might make it stronger.

I like the shallow depth of field used to separate her from the background, but I think you could have benefited from a slightly deeper depth of focus. It would have been nice to get all of her wrinkles sharp, particularly since that seems to be the intent of the image (judging by your title). I think you could have managed that while still getting good separation from the background.

I think the crop on her face is a bit too tight, for a couple reasons. There is relatively a lot of dead space to the left of the shot for as tight as you've framed her face. In my opinion, if the shot is so tight that it eliminates her chin, the top of her head from mid-forehead up, and the side/back of her head from before her ear, the extra space feels incongruous. Also, she seems to be looking up toward the top left corner of the image. Looking up like this imparts a sense of optimism which isn't matched by her expression. With such a tight crop I can't tell if she is looking up or if this perspective is the result of a tilted camera.

Lastly, I think this shot would benefit from a little more dynamic range in the monochrome treatment. This shot looks to be almost entirely mid-gray through dark-gray. I don't know that you need to push the darks too much further towards black, but bringing the lighter portions closer to white would create more contrast. This should help her face stand out from the background even more and also accentuate the wrinkles a bit more.

This is the first photo that I show here, and I would love ideas, comments, anything to help me to start seeing photography a bit more as a photographer.
Unfortunately, you now are exposed to one of the shortfalls of digital photography. The monochrome conversion has a very narrow range of tone, meaning it is nearly all a mid-value gray, with no real blacks or whites. It is a good composition, and perhaps in color it could work better, but unless you can extend the range of tones in editing, it will remain a rather flat photograph.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back