Please Help! Must decide...

misskrys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, you're a lot more savvy than I am, and I need your help. I'm finally getting my DSLR!! *super excited* but I can't tell the difference between these two packages. I've already got my mind set on the Nikon D5000 two-lens package, so I just need to decipher what's different about them. Is it one of the lenses?

Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera 2-Lens Outfit (18-55VR & AF-S DX55-200mm G ED) - RitzCamera.com

Nikon D5000 DX-Format Digital SLR Camera Two-Lens VR Outfit (18-55 VR & AF-S DX VR 55-200mm F4-5.6G) - 25454-2166-9627 - RitzCamera.com

thanks!

same camera, same 2 lenses, except the 55-200 in the second link has Vibration Reduction, and the 55-200 in the first does not. VR isn't that big of a deal. so save your money. or just get the 18-55 and then get a better quality lens like a 50mm f/1.8. those nifty fifties are a dime a dozen.

no they are both IF (internal focusing motor) which means the focus motor is in the lens not the camera. the difference is the VR (Vibration reduction.)
please correct me if i'm wrong

no they are both IF (internal focusing motor) which means the focus motor is in the lens not the camera. the difference is the VR (Vibration reduction.)

Well, the first one wasn't labeled internal focusing :) and i didn't know why would one be labeled IF and the other wouldn't!

i don't see either labeled IF

thanks so much guys! I will take a second look at it; I'll probably be going with VR, since it seems like it can be useful. It seems strange that one wouldn't have IF, but if it doesn't, I'll definitely be going with the other one!

:er:
they both have IF. and save your money, the VR is not worth the money.

IF means the front lens barrel (front lens element) doesn't rotate when the lens is focused, so certain types of filters mounted on the lens aren't effected by focusing.

Not that it has an internal focus motor, that's what the S in AF-S means.

Here is a guide to most of Nikon's abbreviations:

Nikkor Lens Information by Thom Hogan

thank you for clearing that up. i shouldn't have made the quick assumption. on what it meant.

Most reactions

Back