Point and Shoot Quirk

dEARlEADER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The odd time you bust out the point and shoot... do you find yourself repetitively putting your eye to the view finder?

this bothers me...

the end

My "point and shoot" has a viewfinder! Though I have heard of (once even seen) a very slim compact camera which had ONLY the screen.

My "quirk" with my own compact camera (I refuse to call it "point and shoot", it would do my old-fashioned but very loyal little Powershot injustice!) is that I have a much harder time with that one to get the skies right than I do with the dSLR. But it is pretty useful when I need to be quick (it's usually set to P with the parametres set as I want them) or when I don't want to or cannot bring the "big" camera.

Or back when we were in New York and I could not be bothered with changing lenses all the time, I used the "little one" for wider angle shots, and had the telezoom on the "big one" --- and I did produce my all time favourite NYC photo of mine with "the little one"!!!

All of my P&S have viewfinders, even my digi. so yeah I do it all the time, mostly out of necessity. However the digi is a bit different but, none the less I use the view finder a lot. I have found that due to my regular use of an SLR my ability to hold the camera is at it's steadyest when I have it to my eye and this is very important when I am shooting with a POS digicam that has no IS at all.

It's been a while since i've used a point and shoot.

My P&S has an electronic viewfinder. I tend to use it more than the LCD, since my battery goes to crap as soon as I turn it on. Usually I can't see anything on the LCD anyway.

I have a P&S and while I used it exclusively i have to say I never used the veiwfinder just the LCD - now the Canon is used exclusively i keep finding myself putting the tiny Kodak up to my face - it just feels really wrong LOL

Mind you when we first got the canon we couldnt work out why we couldnt see a pic on the LCD hahahaha - Then read in the manual look through the viewfinder :blushing:

I have the Leica D-Lux 3 and have been thinking of doing this to it... but my wife says that makes it harder ot fit in her purse when she's using it...

29165d1173639275-street-walking-d-lux-3-img_4517-copy_web.jpg

A member at the Leica Forum did this, btw.

When I first only had my compact digital camera (the Powershot A95) as the only DIGITAL camera I had, I really had to make myself get used to framing with the help of the LCD (since the parallaxes are not balanced and you get a slightly different picture in the viewfinder than you will actually take in the end, it's only "right" on the little screen), and it did take a while until I had learned how to do so.

So after a couple of months (10 to be precise) of framing with the help of the LCD, it at first felt "funny" again to frame through the viewfinder of the 350D, but now I am much better used to doing THAT once more.

Seems like my dad's little camera does no longer have a viewfinder, and when he took the photos of the canoe trip (during the Meet-Up - for those who don't know what I'm talking about, go read through the long, long meet-up thread and enjoy all the many photos that were taken ;) ), he constantly complained that he couldn't see a thing (the sun was out and his LCD, only means to help him frame his pics, was totally useless!!!). So he practically took "blind photos".

If you then don't even have the CHOICE to go look through the viewfinder instead, you're really badly off...

(since the parallaxes are not balanced and you get a slightly different picture in the viewfinder than you will actually take in the end, it's only "right" on the little screen),

Yeah mine is like that pretty bad, but some parallax error is much better than motion blur on a stationary subject in my case.

I've had both - a P&S with and one without a viewfinder. I like shooting with the LCD more than the viewfinder; it just gives me a better perspective.

....my own compact camera (I refuse to call it "point and shoot"....
My hero! People don't understand the definition around here of "point and shoot". I certainly don't "point" and "shoot" my camera. It has everything that a dSLR has with A, S, P, M, ISO, bracketing, continuous.....

Mine also has an electronic viewfinder. The only time I use the LCD on the back is when the camera is on the tripod. All other times it is with the viewfinder.

I'm trying to get the wife to take better shots. Mine isn't a tiny compact camera, but one of the fuller bodied superzoom types. My wife refuses to use the zoom and holds the thing at arms length with her index finger and thumb of both hands! I can't even get her to hold the grip in her hand. And she thinks her pictures are wonderful. Hmm, my kids look like they are 5 miles away, but.......

I want to sit down with my 7 yr old and show and tell her about some of the stuff (aperture, shutter, ISO, etc). I think she would grasp the concept much faster then the wife will. Though, I've tried to get her to use the viewfinder of her camera (Nikon 3mp Coolpix 880), but she won't listen. She uses the LCD on the back.

My 5-year old is beginning to grasp rudimentary shot composition. It is NOT impossible, just invest the time.

I've had both - a P&S with and one without a viewfinder. I like shooting with the LCD more than the viewfinder; it just gives me a better perspective.

I've got both right now; Samsung S730 with LCD only, and Canon S2 IS with EVF and articulated LCD. I use the Canon more for actual photography, using whichever method works better at the moment. The Samsung is used mostly for documentation of incidents, so composition is less of an issue; just get closeups of each element, and a wide angle shot to show relative positions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back