polarizer filter?

photosoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1. I want a polarizer filter but unsure how to determine what mm I need for my 18-55 and 55-200 lens. I realize my lens are just mediocre so I'm not going to go all out here on spending. past threads have mentioned hoya and tiffen... thoughts??

2. I notice a couple little specs on the front of my lens that my lens pen want get off, can dust get inside the lens?

thanks

i'm sure people here will know your filter size right off... I'm not a nikon person, but I'm sure google will know.

in terms of not spending $$... you should. A good polarizer will run close to $100 (check for used ones @ B&H). No matter the quality of the lens, putting a junky filter in front of it will make your images worse, always. Make sure you get a multi-coated filter.

1. It will say somewhere on the lens. Sometimes it's on the front, surrounding the glass. Sometimes it's on the barrel. Either way, it will have the "mm" after it. I'm going to guess that your lenses take filters somewhere in the 50mm range. I'm not the only one who has had bad luck with cheap, low quality filters. You'd be better off spending the money on a name brand filter like the ones you mentioned.

2. Yes dust can get inside lenses. Usually, it's nothing to worry about and won't show up in your images.

well I suppose I could invest in a better one and when I get better lens/camera I will already have a good filter. but unsure how I would know what size to go with, I'm unsure as it is already.

Both of those Nikon kit lenses use a 52mm filter size, at least mine do.

oh, so I want have to buy an adaptor or anything? have you got the 18-55 kit lens and 55-200vr lens as well?? what kind of filter do you have?

I'm a canon guy but just thought I'd bring it up in case its relevant to these lenses - the canon equivalent versions have rotating front elements (they turn when you focus) which makes using a CPL filter very annoying indeed, particularly due to the poor build quality of the kit lenses - it is impossible to keep the focus ring from moving while adjusting the CPL after focusing, because the ring is so sloppy.

Both of those Nikon kit lenses use a 52mm filter size, at least mine do.

oh, so I want have to buy an adaptor or anything? have you got the 18-55 kit lens and 55-200vr lens as well?? what kind of filter do you have?

BOTH Nikon lenses use the same 52mm filter size, at least both of mine do. No adapter ring is necessary if everything is 52mm.

What kind of filter is personal choice. I have maybe 30 filters, some I have had since my film days, so they are all kinds of mfg. but all are good ones.

Get the milticoated filters, you will pay more for them, just take care of them, but some of mine have lasted for as long as 40 years.

If I remember correctly, the front focus ring DOES rotate of the 18-55mm, and DOES NOT rotate on the 55-200mm VR.

I might be mistaken, but don't think so.

I like these two "kit" lenses, will probably never sell them (I don't especially like the Nikon 18-200mm VR that would replace them) but I also have Nikkor AF 35-105mm Macro and AF 35-135mm Macro lenses that I use a lot.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the front focus ring DOES rotate of the 18-55mm, and DOES NOT rotate on the 55-200mm VR

I like these two "kit" lenses, will probably never sell them (I don't especially like the Nikon 18-200mm VR that would replace them) but I also have Nikkor AF 35-105mm Macro and AF 35-150mm Macro lenses that I use a lot.

will this matter when buying a single filter for both? thanks

If I remember correctly, the front focus ring DOES rotate of the 18-55mm, and DOES NOT rotate on the 55-200mm VR

I like these two "kit" lenses, will probably never sell them (I don't especially like the Nikon 18-200mm VR that would replace them) but I also have Nikkor AF 35-105mm Macro and AF 35-150mm Macro lenses that I use a lot.

It DEFINITELY matters with the CPL filter.

But not at all with single pane filters like Skylight/UV/haze filters

It DEFINITELY matters with the CPL filter.

But not at all with single pane filters like Skylight/UV/haze filters

so I"m going to have to get two separate filters?

so I"m going to have to get two separate filters?
No! Putting a circular polarizer on a lens that has a rotating front element is a very minor inconvenience. It's not an issue as far as I'm concerned. You focus, turn the polarizer until you achieve the desired effect, then shoot. It's not a big deal.

Most reactions

Back