Polarizing Filters and Fall Colors

padrepaul77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a couple of polarizing filters that I picked up for my bag; one for the wide-angle lens and one to put on the other ones. Before in the fall, I just used my point-and-shoot Canon Powershot; now I have an SLR, and filters are an option.

I'll be shooting a lot of fall colors later this week on some daytrips, and am wondering if I should make use of the filter? I know it brings out a nice blue to the sky, but if I'm shooting at sunset will this mess up the sky? And how do leaves look on it? I'm planning on using the filter, and got the following tip from a newsletter from Olympus:

>>By using a circular-type polarizing filter, or PL filter, you can eliminate the stray light reflected off the leaves and bring out the brilliant original colors of the foliage and the deep, vivid blue of the sky. On some models you cannot directly attach filter to the lens, but you can always simply hold the filter manually in front of the camera's lens and achieve the same effect. Since using a PL filter reduces the amount of light, you may need to use a tripod to stabilize the camera during the longer exposure.<<

Should I leave it on throughout the day or take it off? I do have Elements so can always doctor images up later, but do want to capture some nice colors.

Thanks,
Paul

Yes, a CPL will help your fall colors. I say definitely make use of it.

I have a couple of polarizing filters that I picked up for my bag; one for the wide-angle lens and one to put on the other ones. Before in the fall, I just used my point-and-shoot Canon Powershot; now I have an SLR, and filters are an option.

I'll be shooting a lot of fall colors later this week on some daytrips, and am wondering if I should make use of the filter? I know it brings out a nice blue to the sky, but if I'm shooting at sunset will this mess up the sky? And how do leaves look on it? I'm planning on using the filter, and got the following tip from a newsletter from Olympus:

>>By using a circular-type polarizing filter, or PL filter, you can eliminate the stray light reflected off the leaves and bring out the brilliant original colors of the foliage and the deep, vivid blue of the sky. On some models you cannot directly attach filter to the lens, but you can always simply hold the filter manually in front of the camera's lens and achieve the same effect. Since using a PL filter reduces the amount of light, you may need to use a tripod to stabilize the camera during the longer exposure.<<

Should I leave it on throughout the day or take it off? I do have Elements so can always doctor images up later, but do want to capture some nice colors.

Thanks,
Paul

Padre,

Bear in mind that one of the advantages of an SLR is WYSIWYG and that includes the effect of a polarizer. DON'T FORGET to rotate it to get the best coloration and always rotate clockwise (so that you don't accidentally unscrew it and drop it).

By the way, the effect of a polarizer is the one thing that you can not do "after the fact."

Last edited:
A polarizer can certainly help with fall shots but there are many factors involved. It can help to cut glare/reflections, which is why it is good for shooting bright green foliage. Fall leaves are less reflective, so the effect might not be as noticeable, but it could still be there.

The darkening of blue skies is probably my favorite aspect of a CPL filter...but remember that it works best when shooting perpendicular to the sun's rays...and practically not at all when shooting parallel to the sun's rays. So when shooting at the setting sun, it probably won't be helping at all...might even be hurting if it causes flare.

I also like a CPL for shooting still water like lakes. By adjusting the filter you can get two (or more) different shots, either emphasizing or de-emphasizing the reflection of the water's surface....sometimes allowing you to see the bottom of the lake.

Sounds like it'll be helpful and I look forward to the results. Sunny skies are predicted, and Minnesota has some great spots. Going to the North Shore Thursday and to southern Minnesota Friday near Lannesboro to Winona on a nice byway. I'll be curious to see how the filter handles things.

Why is there different mm's on filters? I don't know which one to choose. My lens is Nikkor 18-200 mm vr.

Why is there different mm's on filters? I don't know which one to choose. My lens is Nikkor 18-200 mm vr.
It's the diameter of the filter. You have to get one that's the same size/diameter as your lens for it to fit/screw on.

Your 18-200mm is 72mm.

Filters screw into the thread on the front of a lens. Different lenses have different sized front threads...so you need to know which size filter will fit your lens.

Look at the front of your lens (or the lens cap)...there will be a diameter symbol and a size (in millimeters). That's the size of filter you would need.

Because of the difference in objective lens sizes, which decides how large the body needs to be. If you look on the inside of your lens cap the size is right there for you Daisy.

It's the diameter of the filter. You have to get one that's the same size/diameter as your lens for it to fit/screw on.

Your 18-200mm is 72mm.

Right now she's saying DOH!, cause shes been around long enough she knew that... :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back