Polaroid Manipulations

Thanks again ya'll. I hadn't been on this forum too much since I'm still a green Polaroid user. I looked through the posts finally and ya'll have some good manipulations and emulsion lifts. I would like to try the lift next but I'll wait until I can leave the house without my polaroid. :)

Terri, I find myself looking at things like my watch to use as a tool when I get started. I had to narrow down to those four tools so I don't have to carry around a big box of extra stuff. I can't believe they don't have a store around Hotlanta that stocks Time Zero. I have to order it from a local store but this is Columbia.

I can't believe they don't have a store around Hotlanta that stocks Time Zero. I have to order it from a local store but this is Columbia.

If it's around, I sure haven't been able to find it. Not even at the photography school where 669 and other Polaroid films are stocked. I can wander into a crazy little drugstore and see some other P-film but never the Time Zero. So, I just go online and buy several packs at a time. Good ol' B&H! :p

Here's a hasty pic of the manipulation tools I use. Sorry for the blown-ness of it; it's Time Zero film in front of a kitchen window. :wink: The tools on the left are the wooden sculpting instruments I mentioned; they can be invaluable. The metal one and the wooden-handle next to that are the burnishing tools. The double-edged one is my fave since one side is reeeeally tiny, and I can flip it back and forth. I also snagged a pattern marker from my sewing machine, the next 2 are just weird things I've picked up that work, and the mechanical pencil (no lead left) makes good marks too. Followed by the golf tee on top, which I don't use much now. :D

SX70tools.jpg

core_17 said:
What is the difference between time zero and regular poloroid film????

Define "regular" Polaroid film. :wink:

All Polaroid films have different emulsion formulas that allow for different alternative photographic techniques. Any P-film that ends with a "9" is peel-apart film; these films allow for image transfers and emulsion lifts and come in different sizes. Time Zero film has an emulsion that stays soft and pliable for several hours and can be manipulated for various effects, as Hobbes has so nicely demonstrated here. :D

There are other differences - film speeds, etc, but this is the quick answer.

Ok...I guess what I mean by regular is that Polorois 600 stuff I see everywhere. That's what I always used to buy, cuz at the time I thought that was the only size that would fit my camera.

core_17 said:
So, does that mean I can't manipulate with 600 cuz it's too fast???

No, it means it does not have the same emulsion as Time Zero that lends itself so well to that technique. Time Zero film fits into SX-70 cameras and also some One-Steps. mmmm, if you have a 600 camera, I believe you can modify it to accept Time Zero film, just covering whatever guide it has to prevent you from loading the wrong film. :wink: You can probably use an actual 600 print to do this, if I'm not mistaken. I've never done this, but you're basically pressing down on the guide while you slip in the cartridge of Time Zero film, and then pulling out the piece you used to cover it once you get the cartridge about half way in. ALSO - I think you'll need to compensate that camera's exposure meter somehow.... you'll need a neutral density filter.

This all looks very cool and I think I could use a new direction, for those times I don't feel like darkrooming, yet would still like to work on my work... I'm ebayin'...

oriecat said:
This all looks very cool and I think I could use a new direction, for those times I don't feel like darkrooming, yet would still like to work on my work... I'm ebayin'...

You go, girl!! There's always SX-70 cams out there....study those pics closely! :wink:

terri said:
core_17 said:
So, does that mean I can't manipulate with 600 cuz it's too fast???

No, it means it does not have the same emulsion as Time Zero that lends itself so well to that technique. Time Zero film fits into SX-70 cameras and also some One-Steps. mmmm, if you have a 600 camera, I believe you can modify it to accept Time Zero film, just covering whatever guide it has to prevent you from loading the wrong film. :wink: You can probably use an actual 600 print to do this, if I'm not mistaken. I've never done this, but you're basically pressing down on the guide while you slip in the cartridge of Time Zero film, and then pulling out the piece you used to cover it once you get the cartridge about half way in. ALSO - I think you'll need to compensate that camera's exposure meter somehow.... you'll need a neutral density filter.

To piggy back this, my post telling how to do it also has a desciption on how to modify your 600 to take time zero film.

voodoocat said:
That's sweet! That is my favorite image of yours :D

Nearly a ditto, it is among my favorite image of yours, but I have the benefit of having seen more of your work :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back