Polishing Scratches Out Of Displays?

A few scratches really won't affect it, but send it back if not happy.

For what it's worth, I've used Novus plastic polish for many years. Get the three step kit. It's an excellent product and does what it's supposed to do. Polish plastic. Tried it on several camera screens and it did nothing but make a bigger mess to clean up.

Some people lie, and some people are simply careless about writing numbers.
I believe my seller is on the up and up. I suspect his seller wasn't, and my seller was just being optimistic. (Many people have honest, but unrealistic views about the condition and value of their stuff.)

A few scratches really won't affect it, but send it back if not happy.
If it was just the scratches I could probably overlook it, but I get the impression this thing has seen a good bit more service than was suggested and it's certainly not "mint." "Very good," for a ten year old camera, certainly. Perhaps "excellent." It is not even "near mint," much less "mint," IMO.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Meguiars plastic cleaner 17 and then Meguiars plastic polish 10

I've never used on cameras but have used on golf carts plastic and airplane windshields. I would use a seperate micro fiber towel for each product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...tic+polish&dpPl=1&dpID=41-tq6ikVVL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...tic+polish&dpPl=1&dpID=41QxMfNiZEL&ref=plSrch

Oh hell's no! That camera hasta' go baaaaaack to the un-minty seller's casa!!!

Now...I really thought the LCD screen on the 20D and 5D I own is/was solid glass, not plastic. There are plastic covers for the LCD screens for most d-slrs...I take those and throw them in a drawer,and use the rear LCD the way it was born: buck nekkid!

So...on this not-mint 40D...is the rear LCD's actual glass the issue? Or is it the $10 plastic LCD cover that snaps on over the glass?

Meguiars plastic cleaner 17 and then Meguiars plastic polish 10

I've never used on cameras but have used on golf carts plastic and airplane windshields. I would use a seperate micro fiber towel for each product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...tic+polish&dpPl=1&dpID=41-tq6ikVVL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...tic+polish&dpPl=1&dpID=41QxMfNiZEL&ref=plSrch

Now...I really thought the LCD screen on the 20D and 5D I own is/was solid glass, not plastic. There are plastic covers for the LCD screens for most d-slrs...I take those and throw them in a drawer,and use the rear LCD the way it was born: buck nekkid!

So...on this not-mint 40D...is the rear LCD's actual glass the issue? Or is it the $10 plastic LCD cover that snaps on over the glass?
If it's glass, won't do a thing but make a mess. If it has a plastic cover, he has OCD and is far sighted....

lol.gif

(A nit: I don't know that the seller is un-minty, but this camera body certainly is ;).)

Do you mean the protective film that most virgin displays sport? That most people peel off and toss? Kind of like screen protectors, but not quite as nice?

It looks like the 20D a buddy gave me still has those on it. They're actually in better condition than the "glass" on this 40D! So I'm leaving them on it.

There is nothing I can tell that's snapped-on to the screen. Looks like nekkid glass. Except... is it really glass, or simply scratch-resistant plastic? (I suspect the latter.)

(N.B.: The discussion is academic at this point, as I've already decided to return the item. Just letting my missive to the seller sit and "perk" for a bit, before reviewing it a last time and sending it off.)

If it's glass, won't do a thing but make a mess. If it has a plastic cover, he has OCD and is far sighted....
I do have OCD (think something along the lines of Sheldon Cooper, but not quite that bad), and I use both reading glasses and driving glasses. (Too many years spent staring at computer screens precisely an arm's length away, I suppose.) But I have examined the offending surfaces in detail, with the aid of eyewear, and am certain the unsatisfactory condition is, in fact, on the "glass."

So this "mint" 40D I just acquired isn't quite "mint." Not as I define "mint," anyway. (I'm quite OCD, so...) But it's pretty close. Providing everything works as it should I'm disinclined to get nit-picky over what constitutes "mint" for a ten-year-old camera body.

What makes it un-minty is tiny scuffs/scratches on the top and back LCD displays. They're not bad. Just normal use stuff, but, like I said: OCD.

I'm guessing the material is plastic, not glass. So I'm wondering if there's a plastic polish anybody can recommend that'll take most of that stuff out?

Step 1: Open out the lcd, if its a rotating one, and gentle wrap it with Styrofoam and secure it with five or six wraps of duct tape.
Step 2: Bash the hell of the unprotected body with a bat or a 2x4.
Step 3: Unwrap the LCD and compare.

Wouldn't that render the item un-returnable
confused.gif

I think you are going to be returning a lot of "mint" cameras.

That's my thought as well. My 'very good' d300 has a chunk out of the side... No effect on the device itself other than looks. :p

OP, my bought new sealed in a box fitbit wrist device had those bitty markings on the front lcd, it's just a thing sometimes. A year and a half later..it looks about the same and I wear the alta nearly every day.

Don't think that thought has not occurred!

I'm reminded of a NetGear WiFi access point I bought a number of years ago, as a backup to one I already had that is being used as a network bridge to the home theatre stuff. Was advertised as "like new."

*snort* Scratched and scuffed seven ways from Sunday. Complained to the seller and he volunteered to knock $20 off the price, to which I agreed. In that case I didn't care, except on principle, as it's not something that'll be right in front of my face all the time.

So it has occurred to me my quest may well be in vain. I may just give this up and be happy with the 20D my buddy gave me, which is mint.

Then again I did acquire off eBay a flawless, literally flawless Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Ultrasonic AF Zoom Lens, in the box, for $99. Seller billed it as "mint," and it certainly was that. So... *shrug*

OP, my bought new sealed in a box fitbit wrist device had those bitty markings on the front lcd, it's just a thing sometimes.
See, if that were me it would've gone back.

I bought my wife and I used iPhone 6S' and myself a used Apple Watch (Gen 2). The displays on all three were advertised to be flawless and all three were.

Last edited:
I may have a similar level of OCD, but I'm also a stickler for accuracy in language, especially in a product description, I insist on it. Seller should have said "shows only the slightest signs of use upon close visual inspection". Heck even "mint-". But, once you throw the word "mint" out there, you're telling me I wouldn't be able to pick this item out of a lineup of BNIB items. The product description is no longer accurate, and that may have been the factor that influenced the buying decision.

Last edited:
Nailed it, zulu42, in all respects.

Mint is defined as "Undamaged as if freshly minted," "as new," "In near-perfect condition," "Like new; in brand-new condition; unworn, as a coin recently made at a mint."

Now I expect some liberties to be taken with descriptions. Thus I was inclined to let the display flaws slide--at first. But then I noticed the worn-to-glossiness grip and thought "Can't do it. That's going to annoy me forever."

It's like somebody else wrote: It's be one thing if those cosmetic issues were caused by my use. That's just patina :). But to bill something as "mint" and have it be nowhere near mint? Nah.

Last edited:
OP, my bought new sealed in a box fitbit wrist device had those bitty markings on the front lcd, it's just a thing sometimes.
See, if that were me it would've gone back.

I bought my wife and I used iPhone 6S' and myself a used Apple Watch (Gen 2). The displays on all three were advertised to be flawless and all three were.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes things come off the truck with wee marks. The tamper seals were intact, it wasn't used. It would have been more expense and trouble for the return and rebuy then it was worth. :p I mean, I planned on using it, not museum piecing it.

Do these issues of yours show up in photos? I admit to wondering what they look like...

Do these issues of yours show up in photos? I admit to wondering what they look like...
I think they can be made to show up in photos.

And, believe me, I will be working on that, because the seller is balking: First trying to re-word his description as if the "In mint condition" applied only to the functioning aspect of it, now implying the scratches I claim are there are unsubstantiated.

This guy's turning out to be a real piece of work :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back