portable flash system?

rdzmzda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So im interested in a decent and decent priced portable flash system something while im out and about can set up quickly and not have to use the direct flash all the time. I'd like to do all this without spending the 300+ bucks per speedlite that cant be the only way right? haha anyways im using the canon 5d any ideas advice such things

manual flashes such as the vivitar 285 and sunpak 383.
Im completing my off camera portable lighting kit around christmas time, and im using a canon 420ex and 430ex. Eventually i will buy a 580ex and use it as well. Just some ideas.

You can find Vivitar 283's for about $35 each on e-bay. I think it's about $120 for one with with triggers and an umbrella. For $300, you could have a nice two light setup with several modifiers.

you have to decide if you logistically can live with infrared thus saving TTL , or if not possible (most likely) then you have to go with radio frequency.

if rf is the awnser youlll be doing manual exposure anyways, i hear nikons SB 24's and 28's can be gotten around 60-90 bucks. doesnt make sense to pay 250 more bucks to only add like 25% more power for the best nikon flash.

better to add another flash you can more evenly spread out your light.

Also its about 100$ per flash for good (600ft) recievers, (elinchrome)

200$ if you need to go like 2000 feet.
(pocket wizzards)

dont mess with the 30 buck poppers

also the transmitter is 100$

stands can be 20-50 bucks each, fits for the flash to a normal brella stand are 15-20 bucks.

problem with ir is its spotty, and range isnt great. weird things can make it not connect, its line of sight basically,
cant shoot with 3 lights behind you or at odd angles, which is the boon of fun portraits. screw it, go rf

Fair warning. The Vivitar 285HV's are nice units, and inexpensive. But they are odd. The hotshoe triggering is different from the old Vivitars such that none of the hotshoe-based triggers that I have will work with it. It does not have a PC port on it but rather a Vivitar-proprietary jack that is a pain to work with. I'm currently in a situation with these flashes where they work fine on the camera but not at all with my optical or radio slaves.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back