portable storage...other than a laptop

AUZambo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm heading to Italy for 2 weeks in a couple of months and need something to dump pictures on. I have a 4 gb card, and know I can always simply buy more, but I'm wondering if it'd be cheaper to buy some sort of storage thing for them.

I was going to take my laptop and dump the pictures on it, but I don't want to have to lug it around. Do they make external hard drives that you can dump on without having the computer around...or anything similar?

Thanks!

yes, these exist made by various companies. some come with displays to actually look at the images, some don't. they are basically external battery driven hard drives with a CF and sd card slot .

canon will launch one soon (I tried one of the prototypes last year, really nice display)

haven't got links though.

pricesy will vary from 200 to 500 USD I guess. for 20 to 80 GByte and various features.

I'm thinking of getting one myself, but then 4 GB CF cads became so cheap these days that I might rethink and just buy a couple of those instead.

...if you're considering taking images off a solid-state device and moving them to a moving disk drive, I would have to think the reliablility goes lower. Just dropping a hard disk with enough force can damage it. And your batteries have to last during the entire write operation or you can lose the entire contents of the disk.

I'd vote getting lots of CF cards and just keeping track of them.

Nikon used to make one, called the Coolwalker MSV-01. The hard drive was shock mounted, to resist damage from bumps and drops, and had decent battery life.

I'd vote getting lots of CF cards and just keeping track of them.

These Hyperdrives and backups cost $200-$300, which means someone could buy a stack of memory cards and a tiny case to carry them, which is more useful, more reliable, and doesn't involve three transfers to get them into the computer.

My vote too. I have 7 or 8 cards now.

But I carry a laptop everywhere anyway, back up to that and save the cards until I get back to the office. Just in case.

For a trip, if I was forced to have no laptop, I'd still carry a stack of cards instead of a $300 special purpose backup drive that's expensive!

The Epson P### units are great. They are a little bigger, but they have a big beautiful screen.

i have an Epson it very nice for trips, but not the best for a long day of shooting sports or models

Funny.. just posted an Epson P-2000 and/or Wolverine 40GB image tank for sale in the classifieds. It will be there for 5 days then off to ebay.

I love my P-2000

Most reactions

Back