Portraits- which is better?

leejt1986

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had to do an environmental portrait for my digital photography class. I chose my Dad as the subject.

I'd like some input on which set up is better

img1874kh.jpg

img1861c.jpg

You've got some serious camera shake going on in the second one (your shutter speed was only 1/40th), so the first one is automatically the winner for me.

He doesn't look very happy to be there in either of them though...

err yeah... oops, i posted the wrong one...

img1860od.jpg

I took a couple of the same pose so it mixed me up so ignore the second one

I think I still like the first one more.

1st one is best! You need to work on your shutter speeds

Yes, I know I do, I've only been practicing photography for a few months so I'm still learning the basics. It would help if I used a tripod more.

also, post smaller images. like 600 pixels wide-ish.

So I resized them since it was requested

rszimg1874.jpg

rszimg1860.jpg

As for lighting, I'm not going to critique - I haven't done portraits, so it wouldn't be fair.

What I do think, though, is...

In 1 - background is cluttered and may have been a little better with just some music there (Out of focus, yes). The way he is gripping the instrument looks clumsy. He looks like he's about to batter you with it for taking his photo!

In 2 - Better more natural grip on the instrument. Music is good (just a tad blown). The background near his head is still cluttered - looks like stuff is going to fall, so it's attracting my attention. Again, he looks none too pleassed to be there.

Is the intention to promote his trumpet (?) playing? If so, shots with him actually playing might be nice? Or at least photos that look like he is enjoying himself a little more?

By the way, my photos are far from perfect, but I'm being honest about what I see in these shots.

Cheers

craig

Most reactions

New Topics

Back